Yek's great listing of all the 2048 Factory Cabs available in the Axe III!

Gotta say, I am surprised to see so many individual mic selections in each cab as opposed to more pre made mixes.
Looking at the Ownhammer cabs included I don't think I saw too many mixes, it was mostly single mic selections. Are most people using single mic cabs? I kinda figured most people used premade mixes of cabs. I know for my hitting the Quick start folders in OH is where it's at, as well as the Justing York cabs, the premade mixes sound fantastic!

Gotta say, I am surprised to see so many individual mic selections in each cab as opposed to more pre made mixes.
Looking at the Ownhammer cabs included I don't think I saw too many mixes, it was mostly single mic selections. Are most people using single mic cabs? I kinda figured most people used premade mixes of cabs. I know for my hitting the Quick start folders in OH is where it's at, as well as the Justing York cabs, the premade mixes sound fantastic!
Perhaps this was a calculated move on Fractals part to not further cannibalize future sales of 3rd party IRs and assuage current owners of the cab packs involved...? Also...the choice may have been related to the new mixing capabilities of the III’s CAB block.

Filter by creator would be a nice function (OH vs ML vs YA for example) or possibly just a text search function

Axe FX III and IIXL+ owner
Questions?
645 — 4x12 Citrus 121 A REV — FAS
659 — 4x12 Citrus RNR A — FAS
What is REV and RNR stand for?

Also... is Cap, Edge and Cone where the mic is placed? And...if none are listed, where is the default mic placement? Good list but it needs more detail.
Oh yeah, All due Respect, Tell Matt I can use my ears and know what I'm listening to at the same time. Not a fan of that quote. I feel after dropping 7k at Fractal, I should have access to all the information I want. All due Respect... I love the gear by the way. Amazing amp modeling. Never been a fan until now. All that L6 and plug in stuff from years gone by always sounded like digital garbage to me. The new Helix is even garbage. I can hear it a mile away. I know a tube amp vs modeling when I hear it!!! AXE FX 3 is genius work. Cosest to the real thing I've ever heard. $$$$$!!!

REV is the reverse side of the mic. RNR is a model of microphone. You are correct about mic placement. Those terms are industry-standard.

With all due respect, that was a bit harsh for a first post, especially for a document that @yek put hours of work into and gave us for free.

Axe FX III and IIXL+ owner
Questions?
645 — 4x12 Citrus 121 A REV — FAS
659 — 4x12 Citrus RNR A — FAS
What is REV and RNR stand for?

Also... is Cap, Edge and Cone where the mic is placed? And...if none are listed, where is the default mic placement? Good list but it needs more detail.
Oh yeah, All due Respect, Tell Matt I can use my ears and know what I'm listening to at the same time. Not a fan of that quote. I feel after dropping 7k at Fractal, I should have access to all the information I want. All due Respect... I love the gear by the way. Amazing amp modeling. Never been a fan until now. All that L6 and plug in stuff from years gone by always sounded like digital garbage to me. The new Helix is even garbage. I can hear it a mile away. I know a tube amp vs modeling when I hear it!!! AXE FX 3 is genius work. Cosest to the real thing I've ever heard. $$$$$!!!

That wiki page is based on available info. If a mic positon isn't mentioned, the info was not provided / available. It is what it is.

There's no default mic placement. Each IR manufacturer has his own own capturing method. There's no convention.

They also have their own way of naming IRs. For example, Fractal Audio uses arabic letters (A B C D etc.) to distinguish between IR of a certain type. The letter does not necessarily correspond with a certain position of the mic, like Cap, Cap-Edge, Cone etc. York Audio and OwnHammer use numbers. ML Sound uses a combination. IMHO, Red Wirez mentions the most useful info in the IR names, but that doesn't leave much space for anything else.

The next edition of the Amp Guide will have a chapter dedicated to cabs, speakers and microphones.

REV is the reverse side of the mic. RNR is a model of microphone. You are correct about mic placement. Those terms are industry-standard.

With all due respect, that was a bit harsh for a first post, especially for a document that @yek put hours of work into and gave us for free.
No disrespect intended. I think you're referring to the comment about Matt's quote. Had nothing to do with Yek. My point was this list should have come straight from the company (Fractal) with IR's and amp models properly documented from the get go. It's only fair to the customer. When a company provides a service or sells a product requiring some form of customer service, as a paying customer, it's my right to be a little critical. As I understand it, Yek did this on his own for free. Again, Love the company and the product but there's always room for improvement. Peace my friend.

That wiki page is based on available info. If a mic positon isn't mentioned, the info was not provided / available. It is what it is.

There's no default mic placement. Each IR manufacturer has his own own capturing method. There's no convention.

They also have their own way of naming IRs. For example, Fractal Audio uses arabic letters (A B C D etc.) to distinguish between IR of a certain type. The letter does not necessarily correspond with a certain position of the mic, like Cap, Cap-Edge, Cone etc. York Audio and OwnHammer use numbers. ML Sound uses a combination. IMHO, Red Wirez mentions the most useful info in the IR names, but that doesn't leave much space for anything else.

The next edition of the Amp Guide will have a chapter dedicated to cabs, speakers and microphones.

Many thanks for this list!! Extremely helpful!! You should get paid.

Perhaps this was a calculated move on Fractals part to not further cannibalize future sales of 3rd party IRs and assuage current owners of the cab packs involved...? Also...the choice may have been related to the new mixing capabilities of the III’s CAB block.
I can only speak for myself.

I was asked to contribute 4 bass cab files that I thought would kick @ss for an Axe-FX III user.

I contributed some custom HypeReal mixes, as I wanted to fill in the gaps of what bass cabs were not already going to be in the unit courtesy of my esteemed colleagues in the biz. I did not see value to a user in giving them another iteration of what's already in there when people are always asking for variety

Two of the cabs, the Acoustic 406 and the SWR Workingman 12, were kind of sneaky adds, as they could be used both for guitar and bass. The Acoustic is good for stoner rock and doom metal guitar especially. The SWR is a really neat choice for jazzy clean guitar.

Also, I always personally find cab mixes to sound and feel more real when playing with others or fitting a track into a band mix versus single mic mixes.

So why wouldn't I want to give others an optimal experience of my wares as a preview of what I could do for them?

I should add, at that pre-release time at least, I was not told the cab block was going to allow mixing x number of IR files within the block itself. I don't know if others were privy to that info.

Last edited:

Are the various letter and number schemes at least semi-consistent as to their meaning? I have found certain number/mic pairings that work well for me in Ownhammer's IRs, and certain mic/letter pairings seem to do the same in the FAS ones.

Are the various letter and number schemes at least semi-consistent as to their meaning?
Nope. Every producer of IRs can designate position B as whatever they like. In some cases, their choices for microphone placement might be proprietary information.

No disrespect intended. I think you're referring to the comment about Matt's quote. Had nothing to do with Yek. My point was this list should have come straight from the company (Fractal) with IR's and amp models properly documented from the get go. It's only fair to the customer. When a company provides a service or sells a product requiring some form of customer service, as a paying customer, it's my right to be a little critical. As I understand it, Yek did this on his own for free. Again, Love the company and the product but there's always room for improvement. Peace my friend.
I was referring to the content and tenor of the last half of your message, which used the phrase “all due respect” twice — once underlined — to state “You owe me stuff you’re not giving me,” and told @yek to deliver a message for you.

I get that you want open access to information. Me too. But neither of us is entitled to “have access to all the information I want.”

Nope. Every producer of IRs can designate position B as whatever they like. In some cases, their choices for microphone placement might be proprietary information.

Are they at least consistent within a manufacturer's set, i.e. 'D' or '7' is always set up for a particular spot on the speaker?

I thought I read something about Ownhammer's being somewhat cosistent with positioning, with the higher numbers being further from center, but I might be misremembering that.

Just a little insight would speed selecting IRs quite a bit, though my experience going through the cabs included generally points me to M160 '7' or '8' in Owmhammer's sets.

Are they at least consistent within a manufacturer's set, i.e. 'D' or '7' is always set up for a particular spot on the speaker?

I thought I read something about Ownhammer's being somewhat cosistent with positioning, with the higher numbers being further from center, but I might be misremembering that.

Just a little insight would speed selecting IRs quite a bit, though my experience going through the cabs included generally points me to M160 '7' or '8' in Owmhammer's sets.
Sometimes. Somewhat. Kind of. Depending on the manufacturer.

My concern is that the Axe FX is becoming so phenomenally cable and rich with options that people won't be able to get the most value out of it without devoted months of fiddling time, which I would argue fewer people would be willing to commit to.

Getting the "most value" out of it is very simple; if it delivers what you want or need. True, there are practically never ending possibilities with the Axe III and the thought of them can be quite daunting. But value is defined by what each player wants or needs from their gear and how close the gear gets them to their goal. The Axe-Fx III has exceeded my expectations and more than delivered my goal, therefore I have received the most value out if it. Anything from this point on is just gravy (can't say icing on the cake, I'm on a diet).

Anyone who fires up their Axe III, begins to play and instantly has a big grin on their face has received the most value out of it. Anyone who has played a gig and had zero complaints from the sound engineer and bandmates, then after the show have people compliment their tone has received the most value out of it.

As @Rex and others have pointed out, there are many resources, most of which are free, that provides most anything anyone would want. Expecting a company that produces such an inexhaustive tool to provide additional comprehensive documentation is not really reasonable. The Fractal community has such a large base of users who have taken the time to share their expertise that there is really no need for FAS to do it. I'd rather they spend the time in their "kitchen", cooking up the next goodies for the Axe.

Back
Top Bottom