Yamaha Stagepas 500

rednebb

Inspired
Has anyone tried the Yamaha Stagepas 500 with their AxeFx? I want something that's lightweight and fairly cheap and that can also double as a mini PA (it's got built-in mixer with phantom power), and this fits the bill. I guess it's not in the same league as QSC, FBT verve and the Atomic FR's that everybody's talking about, but the price and weight is almost half of these.. The Stagepas 500 has a lot of good reviews from people using it as a PA, but I haven't found any saying they've used it with their Axe Fx or other guitar preamp/processor.

I use the one where the poweramp and mixer are not re-movable, it's 400w and I've compared to verve 12ma, I have one, I also have the 8ma, and the yamaha is a great sounding unit. I've compared to the qsc's and many other frfr powered units and find that I prefer it. I believe the 12ma has the slight edge, but not by much. The qsc's were too harsh in the midrange and the 12ma and the yamaha are there together, much smoother in the upper end and in the midrange.

ckofahl said:
I use the one where the poweramp and mixer are not re-movable, it's 400w and I've compared to verve 12ma, I have one, I also have the 8ma, and the yamaha is a great sounding unit. I've compared to the qsc's and many other frfr powered units and find that I prefer it. I believe the 12ma has the slight edge, but not by much. The qsc's were too harsh in the midrange and the 12ma and the yamaha are there together, much smoother in the upper end and in the midrange.

Ok, that sounds good! I guess it's the Yamaha MSR 400 you have then? That's the model with a 12" speaker, isn't it? The Stagepas 500 has 10" speakers, but I guess they don't sound that much different..? I've also tried the Stagepas 300 that has only 8" speakers, and it sounded very impressive for its size.

Ketil

ckofahl said:

Which QSC model(s) are you referring to, by the way? Have you tried the K10 or K12? And have you also tried the Atomic FR?

Speaker size does matter, I've tried all the K's 8-10-12, and felt the same about all of them, there is an upper midrange harshness to them that could possible be eq'd out, but I struggled with it. The MSR 400 has a 12 and does a great job. At the time I was still trying to find my frfr solution, and the store had 2 or the msr's, I now wish that I would have purchased both of them. The verve 12ma is great and so is the 8ma. I was surprised how the 8 could hang moderate to light gig's.

As far as the Atomic fr, I have one on order, but have yet to hear back from them on when it will be ready. I've not heard one, but the reviews seem to be fairly positive.

Back
Top Bottom