Yamaha Silent Guitars

200man

Power User
I’ve been aware of these guitars for a while. I’m interested in the SLG200N model. I’ve played and owned the Gibson nylon that Chet played and the Godin Multiac. Didn’t care for the sustain or sound on either model and until the Axe was a product, its been too much monkey business to integrate these guys into a rig. But now at least in my head, this relatively cheap “nylon string” emulator(?) seems to be a great solution. I’ve watched Lee Ritenour play this guitar live in several videos over the years and have been suitably impressed.
-it’s cheap
-It’s light
-“tone matching” built-in
-great traveller
-less feedback stage issues
-it sounds good
-easy access to the upper frets

I understand this is not a purist’s idea of a classical guitar, but I like things that sound good and work easy. And my gut tells me that an Axe-III integrated properly with this device could sound great. What do the experts here think? :)

P.S. relevant links:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/mus...basses/silent_guitar/slg200_series/index.html

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SLG200NNT--yamaha-slg200n-natural

image.jpg
I’ve been aware of these guitars for a while. I’m interested in the SLG200N model. I’ve played and owned the Gibson nylon that Chet played and the Godin Multiac. Didn’t care for the sustain or sound on either model and until the Axe was a product, its been too much monkey business to integrate these guys into a rig. But now at least in my head, this relatively cheap “nylon string” emulator(?) seems to be a great solution. I’ve watched Lee Ritenour play this guitar live in several videos over the years and have been suitably impressed.
-it’s cheap
-It’s light
-“tone matching” built-in
-great traveller
-less feedback stage issues
-it sounds good
-easy access to the upper frets

I understand this is not a purist’s idea of a classical guitar, but I like things that sound good and work easy. And my gut tells me that an Axe-III integrated properly with this device could sound great. What do the experts here think? :)

P.S. relevant links:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/mus...basses/silent_guitar/slg200_series/index.html

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SLG200NNT--yamaha-slg200n-natural

I sorta forgot I have one of these...just pulled it out , gonna get it restrung and report back........

Looking forward to hearing what these are like. I have a decent Cordoba, and a Godin Multiac which is nice for practicing quietly although it won't fool anybody playing it plugged in. I enjoy using the Multiac though for MIDI and triggering synths.

Looking forward to hearing what these are like. I have a decent Cordoba, and a Godin Multiac which is nice for practicing quietly although it won't fool anybody playing it plugged in. I enjoy using the Multiac though for MIDI and triggering synths.
The Multiac was my workhorse gigging guitar in the late 80’s when First came out...I triggered mostly real time vocal harmonies thru the first Vocalist unit..

The option for the wider fingerboard is made of ebony....I think I like the narrower version, but that version is made of rosewood, if that matters to anyone.

Following with interest. I have a Yamaha ha ha nylon. It is ok, but not not the greatest. It can be heard on a few Supernal Endgame songs (Eden Song, The Endgame) on Touch The Sky Volume II.

View attachment 47914
I sorta forgot I have one of these...just pulled it out , gonna get it restrung and report back........
One thing that would be very interesting to know would be a comparison of the sustain of this versus the others mentioned. I gotta believe they did the right thing and made it lighter which may prevent it from singing like a Les Paul, which was a deal breaker for me with the gibson and godin versions.

So, I'm seriously considering one of these, not just for silent practice, but for doing a classical type piece with the band I am putting together with a couple old friends. One of the guys wants me to throw something classical into the set to show a different influence, and I definitely don't want to go to the trouble of hauling out my Cordoba and setting that up to play.

My Godin doesn't really sound that convincing plugged in and I generally just use it for quiet practice and triggering synths with the MIDI features. Just curious if one of these would sound significantly better plugged in. I obviously know it wouldn't sound as good as a classical with mics, but it would be a lot more convenient if it is better than the Godin.

So, I'm seriously considering one of these, not just for silent practice, but for doing a classical type piece with the band I am putting together with a couple old friends. One of the guys wants me to throw something classical into the set to show a different influence, and I definitely don't want to go to the trouble of hauling out my Cordoba and setting that up to play.

My Godin doesn't really sound that convincing plugged in and I generally just use it for quiet practice and triggering synths with the MIDI features. Just curious if one of these would sound significantly better plugged in. I obviously know it wouldn't sound as good as a classical with mics, but it would be a lot more convenient if it is better than the Godin.

Agreed ! I'm in the process of getting one of these ordered, I can't wait!

I sold one of these in part to be able to afford the Axe FX II Mk II.

I had the steel string version. Very comfortable neck, great with headphones, decent piezo sound.

Reverb reminded me sonically of the SPX-90 just with no parameters to adjust.

I could play in the other room with Mrs B sleeping and not wake her up.

Highly recommended.

Back
Top Bottom