Yamaha MFC10 on Axe FX III

Hello. Why i cant choose the Omni channel, and what channel must i take ??
Sure you can do it but a specific channel is much more better. The omni-mode is sending and receiving all 16 channels at the same time, while in specific mode it's sending and receiving on the one channel you adjust. The number doesn't matter (1 - 16) it must only be the same on both units.
Hope that helps a little bit.

I have a yamaha mfc10 and I am trying to see if it will work with an axe fx3 mk2.

Is there a way to assign buttons to do a scene selection in any preset? Eg.

button 1 -> scene1
button 2 -> scene2
button 8 -> scene8

button 9 -> up preset
button 0 -> down preset

I've been reading older threads, and it seems what I want is on threads for older fractal hardware like the AFX

I have a yamaha mfc10 and I am trying to see if it will work with an axe fx3 mk2.

Is there a way to assign buttons to do a scene selection in any preset? Eg.

button 1 -> scene1
button 2 -> scene2
button 8 -> scene8

button 9 -> up preset
button 0 -> down preset

I've been reading older threads, and it seems what I want is on threads for older fractal hardware like the AFX
Check page 13 of the MFC10 manual.

You need to send a specific CC # (the same one you assign for Scenes in the Axe Fx) along with a data value 0-7 (equating to scenes 1-8).

The manual isn't quite clear but it seems possible.

One thing to note that often trips up "simple" midi controllers is that with scenes you use the same CC on multiple switches, so the LEDs won't really stay "correct". Unless you can make the scene switches all be mutually exclusive.

i sed a yamaha mfc10 for years. the manual is extremely difficult to understand. the key point is to understand the difference between the main board and the function board. i used the main board to select presets and the function board to send out external controllers to turn fx on or off, but you could use it to switch scenes if you know what data you need to send to do that. you could even do a split board with preset selection and functions visible at the same time (5 of each) by setting the switch on the back to "mix". i think what confuses people the most is how you tell the unit what type of midi message to send and on what channel. there's a table that lists all the types if you can find it.
let me know if i can help.

Yeah, the yamaha documentation sucks. So, here is what I understand so far:

Yamaha mfc10 Program Change = PC#
Yamaha mfc10 Function = Control Change aka CC#

Here are the settings I think I need on the axe

AXE FX3
"In the MIDI/Remote"
MIDI Channel 1
Program Change ON (when this is set to on, the mfc10 is able to select presets 0-127 successfully, this has been tested to work)
PC Mapping ON (I am guessing this has to be set to on in order to configure the FX3 to interpret PC commands to custom presets in Page "Mapping" in the MIDI/Remote Menu.

In Page "Other"
Scene Select CC #34

On the mfc10:

FC1:
STATUS = b0 (Control Change Channel 1?)
DATA/CTRL = 34 (CC#34)
BANK MSB/MAX = 0 (for scene 1 on the fx3)
BANK LSB/MIN = 0 (for scene 1 on the fx3)

FC2:
STATUS = b0 (Control Change Channel 1?)
DATA/CTRL = 34 (CC#34)
BANK MSB/MAX = 1 (for scene 2 on the fx3)
BANK LSB/MIN = 1 (for scene 2 on the fx3)

With the mfc10 set to factory defaults, it does select the presets where mfc program change 1 selects factory preset 0000 59 bassguy, program change 2 selects 0001 65 bassguy, so on and so forth. I did go into the mapping and assign on the fx3 PC #1 to preset 512 and it works as well, so I know I'm getting good comms, the channel is correct, at least for PC commands coming from the mfc10.

However, the function calls(CC) coming from the mfc do not work yet. I also did a global channel 1 set on the mfc10.

What am I missing?

hmm. everything looks correct.

you can get pc1 to select preset 1 by going - setup > midi/remote > display offset = 1

b0 is control change on channel 1, you're correct

if it's possible to connect the mfc to your computer, you could run "midi monitor" (on mac), not sure what the pc version is to double check what midi messages are being sent out, but it all looks good, so maybe it's something on the axefx end of things

you could maybe try troubleshooting by sending a midi command from your daw

I just figured it out. I'm an idiot. I misinterpreted FC edit for function control edit instead of foot controller edit. when in function mode on the controller board, using memory edit works wonders...

Thanks for the help

I originally bought an FC12 off the classified forum here a couple of weeks ago, paid with paypal, and totally got scammed. Still in the process of getting paypal protection to kick in. In the meantime, I picked up this yamaha for 60 bucks, figured, it was work the neusance.

it's actually quite a cool board. i still have mine. the cc pedal works really nice and it's super versatile. i was able to use it to make taurus bass pedals with the axe fx synth. it's just a shame the manual is so inscrutable.

You shouldn't need PC Mapping...

Send the PC for the preset you want to change to.

PC Mapping can often lead to unexpected behavior. If you need it, use it, but I'd recommend leaving it off otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom