Yamaha HS8 Monitors

80sMetalDude

Inspired
Got a Mackie Big Knob monitor/input controller setup last night so I finally played the AXE3 through my HS8 (which were only on the 6i6 previously) instead of only through my ASM12 monitors and I have to say I was really impressed, way better than I anticipated. I knew they sounded great already playing music etc on the PC but this was a pleasant surprise. I was used to how the ASM12 sounded and my expectations were lower for the HS8... wow, I will most likely spend most casual jamming/practicing to these.

More or less posting this for folks who are questioning what monitors in the $325-350 price range sound good.
Now I'm interested in comparing how things sound dialed in on my ASM12 on the HS8.

I am addicted to Leon's George Lynch preset solo scene and this is all I've had time to mess with through the HS8s but wow, just wow, no changes were necessary.

Are the Yamahas smooth in the high mid/top end?

I'm suffereing a bit with an old Genelec 2.1 system that is edgy up there....not to mention the low end anomolies in my bedroom.

I'll defer that question to the more experienced owners :) I haven't owned any other's to compare but Genelec vs. $300ish monitors I doubt that will be a fair fight.... Just was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed them.

Are the Yamahas smooth in the high mid/top end?

I'm suffereing a bit with an old Genelec 2.1 system that is edgy up there....not to mention the low end anomolies in my bedroom.

Question is it “edgy” because that is your tone or because the monitors have hyped highs?

I’ve owned monitors With a real a smooth high end but then found stuff didn’t translate very well as the monitors were coloring the sound too much. Sounded pleasing to listen to but not very accurate

Been an audio engineer for a long while and I find that these are bit edgy. Not just in terms of a guitar sound but in a mixing context. The term edgy is a subjective term though. Plus I would say that choosing between my tone or hyped highs might not be all there is to choose from. I was asking about Yamaha monitors and user opinions. I would like to add some other monitors at some point.

I'll defer that question to the more experienced owners :) I haven't owned any other's to compare but Genelec vs. $300ish monitors I doubt that will be a fair fight.... Just was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed them.

Just looking for user opinions. I've found that $ amount doesn't always indicate how useful monitors are.

About presonus eris e8? I dont know what buy between hs8 and eris e8
If you are on a fair budget I almost bought those myself from the pretty good reviews I saw on Youtube.

You are looking at saving around $200 on the pair going Eris instead of the Yamaha. If money is tight or you need other things in your setup that extra $200 may be useful...

About presonus eris e8? I dont know what buy between hs8 and eris e8
I have measurements of both from Resolution magazine, and their performance is very comparable (can't share it since you have to buy it). You might like the HS8 better subjectively, it's prettier and more popular, but you don't really lose anything in terms of performance by going with the Eris E8.

Back
Top Bottom