Yamaha HS8 + HS8S or KRK Rokit 8 G4 + 10S

rmg471

Folks:

I’m looking for some opinions on what would be the better studio monitor pair plus sub. I currently have the HS8 pair from Yamaha and thought it might be fun to add the matching sub to really feel the bass guitar and kick drum while playing through the Axe FX 3.

While I was considering the sub for the pair of HS8 monitors, I thought it might be prudent to look at similarly priced competitors, and that’s when I found the G4 KRK offerings.

Does anyone have any experience with adding a sub to your studio monitors for playing along with classic rock tracks? I thought it would be fun to feel some thump while jamming.

Thanks,

Ryan

I added an HS8S today. It definitely makes a big difference. It also has an internal crossover to relieve your monitors from trying to reproduce anywhere from 120hz and under.
You can feel the bass drum and hear the bass line crystal clearly.

I think you made the best choice. I love my KRK VXT6's. In my setup they sound wonderful. But, I never did like any of the Rokits I tried. Given a choice - KRK Rokits or Yamahas, I would go with the Yamahas every-time. I wouldn't think twice about it.

I think you made the best choice. I love my KRK VXT6's. In my setup they sound wonderful. But, I never did like any of the Rokits I tried. Given a choice - KRK Rokits or Yamahas, I would go with the Yamahas every-time. I wouldn't think twice about it.
Thanks for the kind words. I’m actually surprised how much of a difference the sub makes with the crossover. I heard bass lines in recordings they never popped out to me before. It’s pretty neat!

Folks say the Rokits are mid scooped.

Thanks for the kind words. I’m actually surprised how much of a difference the sub makes with the crossover. I heard bass lines in recordings they never popped out to me before. It’s pretty neat!

Folks say the Rokits are mid scooped.

:0) ..Glad you are happy with the Yamahas

Yeah, there are definitely buckets in the Rokit's frequencies.. I'm not the kinda guy to get too technical when it comes to sound - I either like the sound of a thing, or I don't, but the Rokits I have heard are definitely missing something in the mid/low end. Just harsh or muddy sounding. The construction and the quality of components used in that Rokit series - the ones which I saw dismantled anyway - wasn't great either.

I don't have anything against KRK as a brand.. They do make some decent (for the cash) monitors (IMO), ...but those Rokits? Oh-noooooooose. :0/

Back
Top Bottom