Yamaha hs7 or hs5?

DTS

Experienced
I'm thinking of replacing my KRK Rokit RP6 monitors to new ones. I have a Yamaha HS7 and HS5 in my mind, but can't decide which one to choose.

Any help and info of your experiences of these two wpuld be nice! Thanks!

I have the hs7 and couldn't be happier :)
I don't use them very loud and bass is nice, I chose them because I feared the hs5 to need a costly subwoofer.
And they are great for mixing songs too !

I was also looking at the HS7 for home use with my AX8 so this thread is of interest to me.

Last edited:
The only thing, that i can't decide is if i can deal with the 5" speaker for low frequenzies.

I have the older HS50M. It depends on the room, position of monitoring, genre and room treatment. Even with only 5" cones, I'd advise against a subwoofer. Most bedroom playing and mixing with a sub will be a hindrance.

I play at home and bought the HS5. They sounded good but were just missing a little something at lower volumes.Returned them and bought the HS7 and the little something I was missing is there and sound fuller to me. I downloaded some presets in the exchange and they sound great with very minor tweaking.

Reactions: DTS
I play at home and bought the HS5. They sounded good but were just missing a little something at lower volumes.Returned them and bought the HS7 and the little something I was missing is there and sound fuller to me. I downloaded some presets in the exchange and they sound great with very minor tweaking.
I would wager that the increased low-end frequency range and decreased low-end drop off in dB's is why you preferred the HS7's.

To the OP, since your room is untreated and your workstation is in a corner. I'd save up some money and put it towards room treatment. At the very least, get your corners trapped and treat your first reflection points. It's really important to get your low-end right. Measurement tools, such as Sonarworks, are useful, but is no substitute for basic room treatment.

Here's a video from Sonarworks, where they review the HS5. You might find this helpful.

Reactions: DTS
Back
Top Bottom