Yamaha HS-8 vs Adam T8V vs Headrush 108s or 112s

i switched to hs8's after waiting for a decade or so to finally pull the trigger. There was so much low end content i wasnt hearing before. They can be a little fatiguing on the ears and they are giant.

APS Klassiks punch way above their price tag. Far more pleasant to listen through than the Adams I had previously.

strongly disagree
Also strongly disagree. I have the Kali IN8-V2 monitors and they are amazing, especially for the price. I'm surprised that they are not talked about more as a studio monitor solution. I compared between the HS-8's and the T8V's alongside the IN8-V2's - the Kali's were the clear winner, especially for flat response and bass+midrange.

Reactions: DGD
Also strongly disagree. I have the Kali IN8-V2 monitors and they are amazing, especially for the price. I'm surprised that they are not talked about more as a studio monitor solution. I compared between the HS-8's and the T8V's alongside the IN8-V2's - the Kali's were the clear winner, especially for flat response and bass+midrange.
my experience as well, the other monitors it the price range couldn't hold a candle, and many more expensive ones as well. They punch way above their price point

I also owned both Headrush units. No comparison really with a good studio monitor, just the ability to go louder.
I had the headrush 108 and I thought they sounded great. I don't know why so many people put them down. I'm not doing any mixing or anything so I don't need the top of the line monitors but this time I am going to go with monitors I do appreciate everybody's input.

I'd trust the Audio Science Forum reviews.
...and you're saying they're good? or did I misinterpret?

"Hard to imagine if proper measurements or comparative listening tests were performed in the design of the Kali Audio IN-8. Their marketing story is all about "imaging" and such. Well, if you don't produce the right timbre, it doesn't matter what else you do. I can't emphasize enough how "lo-fi" this speaker sounds in use. I have no idea who all these people online are that are praising it for studio use. I shutter to think of what kind of mix they produce with a speaker like this." -Amir from ASR (granted, that's the V1, which is also what I have)

I only have one of them because I wanted it for something specific and only needed one. But...it rattles, it distorts easily, and it sounds bad.

Mine is destined for the electronics recycling place whenever I get around to it.

I’m using Presonus Scepter S8s in the music room. Might be too big for you, but they have the sound, at a reasonable price for pro powered near/mid field work.

I’m using Presonus Scepter S8s in the music room. Might be too big for you, but they have the sound, at a reasonable price for pro powered near/mid field work.
I just looked at the price on those I'm not even in the ballpark! As a matter of fact I'm not even in the same country as those things are😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

...and you're saying they're good? or did I misinterpret?

"Hard to imagine if proper measurements or comparative listening tests were performed in the design of the Kali Audio IN-8. Their marketing story is all about "imaging" and such. Well, if you don't produce the right timbre, it doesn't matter what else you do. I can't emphasize enough how "lo-fi" this speaker sounds in use. I have no idea who all these people online are that are praising it for studio use. I shutter to think of what kind of mix they produce with a speaker like this." -Amir from ASR (granted, that's the V1, which is also what I have)

I only have one of them because I wanted it for something specific and only needed one. But...it rattles, it distorts easily, and it sounds bad.

Mine is destined for the electronics recycling place whenever I get around to it.
I haven’t heard them, but the numbers in the review I linked to looked pretty good. They were flatter (in testing) than my Focal Alpha 65s, according to the graph. I don’t know which version that link was for though. Granted, I’d also trust whatever Amir says.

You’re not wrong! Just pointing out that the Kalis may not be the world’s worst speaker, and could be worth demoing for those in its price bracket. That’s all.

I remain quite pleased with my Focals.

The graph is only a part of the story, and arguably the less important one. You can get used to any "graph" in speaker's response.
I honestly disagree.

When the off-axis response is better than the on-axis response, there's no reason to deal with that bad of a design. Especially not when LSRs are in the same price bracket. Or even KRKs, which have never really been my favorite but are at least learn-able.

This is currently very much an esoteric discussion for what is planned to be used as a guitar speaker.. After all, there isn't a real guitar speaker that even understands what an off axis response is....

Output EQ is your friend. anything with a smooth phase response around the crossover frequency can be made to work well and sound good...

To be clear, I was laughing at the crack about guitar speakers.

The problem with using it as a guitar monitor is in how it distorts and the fact that it rattles at reasonable volumes.

Again...there's much better available for the same money...or less.

Back
Top Bottom