Yamaha DXR12 vs guitar frfr choices

roflo

I am in the market for a system to play at smaller to medium venue gigs with my AX8. A bit of background......I am more of a jazz player and some progressive jazz fusion styles of music, so volume level will be moderate at best. I do occasional blues/rock stuff but no metal or thrash stuff. Which lead me to thinking do I really need a guitar FRFR for getting a great guitar sound on stage. I have been reading through all the CLR. Xitone. Mission, Accugroove,Matrix stuff and while all seem to be outstanding products ,the premium price point with mostly fairly limited feature seem to question my choice in making a purchase of any of these products. I am looking at the Yamaha DXR12 series of speakers for both a sound/feature /price point purchase option. I could get a stereo pair of these for pretty much what most of the guitar FRFR cost per cabinet. In addition the Yamaha DXR series has a 7year warranty, 3 channel mixer, with XLR/quarter inch and rca connections. I will not be able to purchase a second speaker for quite sometime given the cost of most of these guitar frfr speakers but could spring for a stereo set of the Yamaha's right away. Very confused with all of this stuff.

Do you need stereo, or 2 speakers?
I'll often run a single 12" frfr (JBL SRX812P) and I'm completely happy with the sound and volume.

When I run 2 in stereo (usually as our band p.a.), I don't have a massive difference in signal between them, because as you move around the listening area, the sound tends to change and you quickly fall out of the sweet spot.

I have a pair of 12s and am very satisfied. Very good value IMO. From what I hear though, it sounds like a pair of 10s would do just fine for your application.

Good luck!

Do you need stereo, or 2 speakers?
I'll often run a single 12" frfr (JBL SRX812P) and I'm completely happy with the sound and volume.

When I run 2 in stereo (usually as our band p.a.), I don't have a massive difference in signal between them, because as you move around the listening area, the sound tends to change and you quickly fall out of the sweet spot.

The one drawback to running PA tops for monitors is just that, they are designed first to be a PA speaker. Having all the inputs is nice but Unless you are using it as a PA how many actually use them when your running it as a guitar monitor?

I understand a lot of people like and use them but if I had to choose between a decently designed two way or a Coaxial I'll pic the Coax every time. Coverage is much better sounding as a monitor, just a personal preference ;)

The one drawback to running PA tops for monitors is just that, they are designed first to be a PA speaker. Having all the inputs is nice but Unless you are using it as a PA how many actually use them when your running it as a guitar monitor?

I understand a lot of people like and use them but if I had to choose between a decently designed two way or a Coaxial I'll pic the Coax every time. Coverage is much better sounding as a monitor, just a personal preference ;)

What is it that you like with a coaxial monitor/cab opposed to a two way system. Also when running something like a Yamaha DXR12/10 would you leave cab on or off on your presets.......i'm assuming on. Is the DXR 12/10 considered an FRFR speaker?

If sheckels is a concern and you don't need a billion decibels or the purest of FR, then you can't go wrong with a couple Tech 21 PE60s.

What is it that you like with a coaxial monitor/cab opposed to a two way system. Also when running something like a Yamaha DXR12/10 would you leave cab on or off on your presets.......i'm assuming on. Is the DXR 12/10 considered an FRFR speaker?

Yes, the DXRs are in the FRFR family, although not exactly flat.

You definitely want to leave the speaker sim on.

I'd say they are close to FRFR, i.e definitely Full Range and close enough to Flat Response. Something like a CLR, or high end studio monitors would be flatter, and for the money I don't think you'll find anything better than the DXRs.

A Coaxial monitor reacts more like a guitar speaker with respect to how the sound comes off the front of the speaker. With the tweeter setting in the middle of the driver you don't have any time misalignments that you have with a traditional two way design.

The benefit of this design is when you are moving around within the sweet spot the monitor you don't hear any phasing which can be bothersome especially when close monitoring, 3-5' distances.

Yes you would leave the cab sims on when running an FRFR or FR solution which probably represents most of sub $1,000 Prosumer market.

Once you demo the two designs side by side it will be very clear as to what I'm talking about.

A Coaxial monitor reacts more like a guitar speaker with respect to how the sound comes off the front of the speaker. With the tweeter setting in the middle of the driver you don't have any time misalignments that you have with a traditional two way design.

The benefit of this design is when you are moving around within the sweet spot the monitor you don't hear any phasing which can be bothersome especially when close monitoring, 3-5' distances.

Yes you would leave the cab sims on when running an FRFR or FR solution which probably represents most of sub $1,000 Prosumer market.

Once you demo the two designs side by side it will be very clear as to what I'm talking about.

There is the dilemma, I am in San Diego,Ca area and cant find anywhere that has any what I call guitar frfr......matrix, Xitone , Mission , Atomic ...ect in stock.......Really hard to plop down 1000 to 1500 on a single 12"wedge/cab without hearing it. I know some have a trial period but you would still need to pay shipping back if you don't like it. I hate to do it, but I could go to Guitar Center in town and buy a pair of Yamaha DXR12/10 and try it out for a few weeks and just take it back to the store if I dont like them. I may never know what I am missing, but at least I know what I am getting sound wise. Also for solo/duo jazz gigs having the extra mixer inputs for BG tracks and a mic could really come in handy.

There is the dilemma, I am in San Diego,Ca area and cant find anywhere that has any what I call guitar frfr......matrix, Xitone , Mission , Atomic ...ect in stock.......Really hard to plop down 1000 to 1500 on a single 12"wedge/cab without hearing it. I know some have a trial period but you would still need to pay shipping back if you don't like it. I hate to do it, but I could go to Guitar Center in town and buy a pair of Yamaha DXR12/10 and try it out for a few weeks and just take it back to the store if I dont like them. I may never know what I am missing, but at least I know what I am getting sound wise. Also for solo/duo jazz gigs having the extra mixer inputs for BG tracks and a mic could really come in handy.

Yes that is an issue especially with coaxial boxes I believe the Mackie DLM Series is the only one you would be able to try in that store but at least you will be able to hear the differences that I'm talking about.

After that if you think it's worth it to go with the Yamahas then by all means it your decision and money! I'm just offering up an opinion based on my experience

You also might look at the Yorkville nx10c's there are a few on the board that use them with good results, definitely not the best speaker for drop tunings or high SPL's but given the cost, weight and power it's not a bad little box plus it has some of the mixing options you are after.

Just picked up an open box demo yamaha dxr12 for $459 in my part of town .....thats a serious deal that I couldn't pass up, but they only had one. I figured at that price I couldn't go wrong even if I go with something like a Xitone cab at a later date, I will always have a back up or use it as a extra monitor. Tried a bunch of different monitors in the sub $1000 market and definitely liked the Yamaha's the best. Really impressed with the sound quality and plenty of power for any situation I would ever encounter and having an 3 channel mixer gives me plenty of option doing a solo gig with a mic and BG tracks. That something I couldn't get with most of the other cabs.

Just picked up an open box demo yamaha dxr12 for $459 in my part of town .....thats a serious deal that I couldn't pass up, but they only had one. I figured at that price I couldn't go wrong even if I go with something like a Xitone cab at a later date, I will always have a back up or use it as a extra monitor. Tried a bunch of different monitors in the sub $1000 market and definitely liked the Yamaha's the best. Really impressed with the sound quality and plenty of power for any situation I would ever encounter and having an 3 channel mixer gives me plenty of option doing a solo gig with a mic and BG tracks. That something I couldn't get with most of the other cabs.
Yamaha makes great active speakers now a days.....so it was a good choice.
Although the XiTone, CLR options are more popular here, all of these options are similar to your Yamahas with just small pros/cons.
Your Yamaha's are considered FRFR (as much as a lot of the other options around here).
They are a full range speaker and they offer (close to) flat response. You could use your global Eq on the Axe to get them closer to flat if you really wanted.

Coax monitors do have some advantages....but they're not a 'must have'.
Coax are still a 2 way speaker, but the tweeter is mounted on top of the woofer so that the sound creation is coming from a single point. It makes the sound more consistent when you walk from left to right. Where as on your Yamaha you may here more high end when you walk to the side where the tweeter is.
Is it a big deal? That's for you to decide. I use both types and I'm happy with both types.

Back
Top Bottom