1. Recent events require us to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

YAMAHA DXR10, WOW!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shredsquatch, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Johan Allard

Johan Allard
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Yes, it would be comparable to a tower type PC fan, one that's on all the time. If you're used to it, it becomes white noise and it won't bother you, and I keep things very quiet (when I'm not playing :) ) and definitely noticed it.

Mr. B and yeky83 like this.
  2. claxor

claxor
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Lots of talk about how loud the dxr-10 is, but how does it sound at bedroom levels?

3. yeky83

yeky83
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

It sounds quieter.

:p But really though, what kind of response are you looking for?

4. claxor

claxor
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

(eye roll...) I just want to know if this only sounds good loud, or can it still sound good at manageable levels at home while playing alone with backing tracks. Just answer the question, pal.

5. yeky83

yeky83
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

K pal. It sounds good at quiet levels if you think it sounds good at loud levels. Speaker response is linear over designed range of use, so it's not like the characteristics of the speaker changes, it really mostly just changes in sound level. Of course, remember the Fletcher-Munson curve as you use it at different volumes.

In my first hand experience, it performs well both quiet and loud. I like it.

6. lwknives

lwknives
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

My brother plays on an Ax8 through on of these and it sounds really great but it doesnt kick as hard as my EV ELX115. I was playing E drums through it and there was a very noticeable improvement in chest thump with the ELX115s vs the DXR10 at the same perceived volume.
    Not knocking the DXR10, it sounds really great and I think I am going to buy a pair for monitors but the EV ELX115 still had a better low end.

7. ipressthebutton

ipressthebutton
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Has anyone tried the DBR10? It seems to get the same reviews as the DXR10 but is less watts? I need a small speaker to leave at our practice place and its about $200 cheaper.

8. BBN

BBN
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

The EV better kick harder. It's a 15" vs. 10". Bigger box, spec'd to put out lower freq.
    Comparing these two is a bit of apples/oranges.

9. lwknives

lwknives
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Very true, I just didnt want people to get the idea that this speaker could replace larger rigs. From some of the reviews I had go the idea that this thing was able to replace much bigger PA systems.
    Again not knocking the DXR10, my brother caries his entire guitar rig in his Mazda Miata and that is very cool. Just dont expect it to punch like a 15 inch speaker.

10. claxor

claxor
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

I'd like to know this as well!

11. Kent

Kent
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

The Yamaha DSR speakers were designed in conjunction with the French geniuses at NEXO loudspeakers. They are very impressive speakers for the money.

12. #52 yeky83, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    yeky83

yeky83
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

You mean the DXR. The DBR and DSR don't have the Nexo relationship as far as I've read. EDIT: Nevermind, DXR DBR DSR all do!

Here's a useful link comparing different Yamaha PA lines:
    http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/live_sound/speakers/active_speakers/dxr/10274/8361/

13. guitarslave1

guitarslave1
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

I looked at the back panel. Do your run with the DSP in the "off" position?

14. BBN

BBN
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I'm not sure if the DSR series has Nexo design, but these boxes are some of the only (in the MI range) that use FIR filters (which whether they're designed by Nexo or not, are regarded as creating greater clearity in a 2 way box.

I have a set of the DSR 112's and they're excellent speakers.

15. yeky83

yeky83
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

DBR, DXR, and DSR all use FIR filters. They all use DSP for crossover, freq & phase control, and limiting/protection.
    Spec sheet for each all show "FIR-X tuning," and the block diagram shows that the DSP is used in the same way for each.

16. BBN

BBN
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Got it. Any knowledge on if the FIR-X tuning comes from Nexo? Looked for some info, but didn't find anything. More just curious.

17. yeky83

yeky83
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Go read their website! I ain't no google!

Turns out DBR, DXR, and DSR all have the Nexo relationship (@Kent you were right!):
    "This passion for innovation served as the impetus for an intensive collaboration with loudspeaker giant NEXO, adding their insight and expertise as an industry leader in touring-grade sound reinforcement to the development of our DSR, DXR and DXS Series speakers. As a result of working closely with NEXO's engineers at their state-of-the-art facility, our team adopted a new approach to some crucial aspects of these speakers’ design."

18. BBN

BBN
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Well for not being google, you did a solid job.

yeky83 likes this.