YAMAHA DXR10

The DXR-10's. are AWESOME!!! But I'm not sure if they are good for studio use. Maybe some others will have more experience and advice on that. I'm looking at the HS8's for a small studio.

The DXR-10's. are AWESOME!!! But I'm not sure if they are good for studio use. Maybe some others will have more experience and advice on that. I'm looking at the HS8's for a small studio.
DXR speakers are designed for live sound. i'd get something designed for studio.

Would the Yamaha speakers also work in a studio setting?

I'm trying to put stuff together and trying to decide if studio monitors or if a wedge like xitone or yahamha dxr is more valuable/proper use of my limited budget.

I only right now have iOS gear with interface or thr10. Going to get amplifire box though
DXR speakers are designed for live sound. i'd get something designed for studio.

Glad I could help sort this out... lol

Glad I could help sort this out... lol
hehe.

well i mean any speakers will "work" so if you're on a budget, yeah use what you have. but the longer throw and dispersion patter of the "live" speakers might not sound as great as near-field made specifically for near-field listening :D

hehe.

well i mean any speakers will "work" so if you're on a budget, yeah use what you have. but the longer throw and dispersion patter of the "live" speakers might not sound as great as near-field made specifically for near-field listening :D

@Briandsocal was asking I figured one of you guys with more experience would know for sure!

~ss

Ok well realistically my two places of use will be maybe a 10x8 room and a rent by the hour studio where they have backline and amps available etc. I am thinking of just building a pedal board based around mishas precision drive and the AFB. Eventually get some strymon delay/reverb stuff. so in the end most everythign I am going to use should always stay FRFR right?

If you have an AX8 you won't need the other pedals and the DXR-10's will work well... you can also use them for PA or a Vocal monitor!

I have a pair of DXR12's but wish I had DXR10's because they sound just as good but smaller and lighter. I also got mine from Guitar Center a few years ago but they only had a sale on the DXR12's. I got the pair of DXR12's with a pair of stands for around $1190 and Yamaha had a $100 mail in rebate too, so $1090 and that was including tax and the shipping.

Hi guys, what is the input you choose in your Yamaha DXR10 when plug your guitar? XLR (MIC or Line)? or 1/4 Mono Line? And what is your setting on level knob (dB)?

View attachment 42425

I use 1. Mike/Line to my studio setup to DXR12. For my part, I go first in to Apollo sound card analog from Axe fx2, and I also go out from Fx loop to Apollo for dry sound without delay/reverb (all 2x stereo). From Sound card Adat output 1/2 to DXR 12, with wet signal. (Axe Fx2 main output signal)
In that way I can have DXR12 as a serious supplement for my monitor sound when I record and play with "wet sound". I can have both some studio monitor and some supplement with DXR12. Mostly I think it's best with only listen to DXR12 only while recording guitar.
For listen to the mix I only use DXR12 for a little spark of bottom, almost as a Sub.

If you have an AX8 you won't need the other pedals and the DXR-10's will work well... you can also use them for PA or a Vocal monitor!

definitely cant afford the ax8. Did pick up a couple Yamaha hs50ms this weekend for $100. Sound really huge in my little room. Need to get them positioned better and get some stands

I love my dxr10 but Yek is right, there is a tad bit of a nasally midrange bump. But this is what helps them cut so well and sound natural. Since getting mine I've spent no time looking at alternatives. No need to.

The midrange honk isn't that bad, though I can confirm it anecdotally. When EQing the PA (DXR10 tops) with an RTA mic, IIRC I generally find a slight bump around the 1kHz to 1.6kHz range. This is regardless of what room we're set up in. For monitoring guitar, this is fine. For FOH, it's nothing a little EQ can't fix.

I'm considering bying a dxr-10 for my AX8 and use it for both live gigs and at home in a fairly small room (9square meter floor space).
Can anyone share his thoughts concerning suitability of the dxr-10 for both environments and eventual differences in connections and settings?

I'm considering bying a dxr-10 for my AX8 and use it for both live gigs and at home in a fairly small room (9square meter floor space).
Can anyone share his thoughts concerning suitability of the dxr-10 for both environments and eventual differences in connections and settings?

Do it. Has XLR, 1/4" and RCA inputs so no issues with connectivity. Also has two different preset EQ curves to suit the room you're in as well as two different high pass filter settings. You can pole mount them or use them on the floor at a 45 degree angle. Loud as hell and not too expensive. As I said above, I don't even look at alternatives anymore since they sound so amazing.

Thanks RKF. Your enthousiasm is realy motivating!
Are you sure I can reduce volume enough to use it in a small room as well?
My family wants to watch (and hear) television when I'm playing in the next room...

My family wants to watch (and hear) television when I'm playing in the next room...
You can reduce the speed of a Ferrari until it’s not moving at all, and you can reduce the volume of the DXR until you can’t hear it at all. How much quiet do you need? :)

No problem. I always leave my DXR10 at half volume and control the overall volume from the AX8. From conversation quiet (almost) to paint-peeling loud.

I want to turn the volume down to 70dB, and I think RKF explained how to get there (thanks for that RKF!).
Think I'm gonna get one for a try-out, you guys convinced me!

The only concern is that the DXR10 has a fairly audible fan. You won't hear it while playing and not on stage, and you'll definitely hear it when you're in a quiet room at home when you're not playing.

Thanks Johan. I guess the dxr-10 fan is as audible as my PC's fan, which I also don't hear when playing my guitar?
Good to know though, so it's certainly no surprise! (and an extra incentive to keep playing )

Back
Top Bottom