Yamaha DXR10 (stereo)

Docster

For those running DXR10's in stereo, do you connect via balanced XLR from the AxeFx (2 XLR's from the AxeFx, one to each DXR10), OR do you run one XLR to the first DXR10 and then run Stereo Link mode to the second DXR10?

connect both XLR to the source (Axe-Fx).

stereo link requires 3 cables - 2 to the first DXR, then 3rd from the 1st speaker to the 2nd. this is usually for an iPOD with stereo music to the closer DXR, then an XLR to the DXR farther away.

the speaker doesn't have 2 XLR inputs, so you can't do the stereo linking anyway.

I was referencing this setup in the DXR manual:

XiPWjoPl.jpg

I was referencing this setup in the DXR manual:

XiPWjoPl.jpg
yes, i commented on that exactly above. as you can see in the diagram, the Keyboard and iPod use the 1/4" or RCA jacks to input the Stereo signal - that's 2 cables. then a 3rd cable goes from the Link to the other speaker.

unless you use two 1/4" cables to the first DXR, you aren't giving it a Stereo signal. you can't use XLRs from the Axe-Fx to do this because the first speaker doesn't have 2 XLR inputs.

there is really no specific reason to use their Stereo Link feature, aside from cable length as i mentioned above.

generally having the source (Axe-Fx) in the center of both speakers is best because then you can use two of the same length XLR cables (say 20 feet) from the center and out to each side. rather than being closer to the left speaker, then running 40 feet of cable to the other speaker using this special Stereo Link mode.

again, Stereo Link mode does nothing different compared to using Left and Right out of the Axe, one cable to each speaker.

OK, that is what I figured. I am looking for a convenient way to add a stereo backing track (via iPad) into the DXR's wirelessly and was going to use a bluetooth adapter with R-L RCA plugs. I guess that will work into one of the DXR's but not both.

OK, that is what I figured. I am looking for a convenient way to add a stereo backing track (via iPad) into the DXR's wirelessly and was going to use a bluetooth adapter with R-L RCA plugs. I guess that will work into one of the DXR's but not both.
you could go double 1/4" out of the Axe to Input 2 of the first DXR. then RCA from the iPad. then do the Stereo Link with an XLR from the first speaker to the 2nd. this should do exactly what you want.

you could go double 1/4" out of the Axe to Input 2 of the first DXR. then RCA from the iPad. then do the Stereo Link with an XLR from the first speaker to the 2nd. this should do exactly what you want.

Would I need 1/4" Humbuster cables if running directly to the DXR?

no. if there was a loss of signal with 1/4" cables, no one would use them for anything.

Not quite true.

If you're going to be using 1/4" outputs on the Axe (instead of XLR), you've gone from balanced to an unbalanced signal.
If your cables are long, you will be susceptible to more interference using 1/4" unbalanced (vs. balanced XLR).

http://www.aviom.com/blog/balanced-vs-unbalanced/

May not make a huge difference in this case, but there is a difference.
There are cases where people don't use 1/4" cables for exactly this reason.

Back
Top Bottom