Yamaha DSR112P powered speaker

Should have 1 in 3-5 business days. Will def. let you know my thoughts. I won't have a lot to compare it to, as my only crack at FRFR has been through a small Fender Passport PA (and I must say even that sounded great despite having no speaker over 5.25).

Im not what you would call an audiophile so take my eventual opinion with a large chuck of rock salt. ;)

That being said I read a fair amount of reviews from DJ types and they seem to rate it pretty high. I'm hoping that it can produce some good volume.

I have the Yamaha DSR112 and it is great! THere will not be a volume issue for you unless you set something in your chain very quitely. I love the definition and the control of the contour to make quiet and loud volumes sound more consitant. So far I have been running it about 6 hours a week for 2 hours each time and I have never had a problem. Nice smooth highs and a lot of "thump" in the low end. It has a nice dispersion and easily fills the room. Make sure your power amp and cab sims are on or you will feel a fool. Any questions just feel free to ask and I will tell you what you need to know or at least my interperetation of what you need to know. Seriously a great speaker though.

Forgot to mention I did not A/B with much else asthe onlystore which carried this speaker carried NOTHING ELSE...I have to say I did not really dig the K12 but others love it and it could have been settings and all of that. with the Yamaha I just plugged it in and dialed through presets and it was golden!

Last edited:
I have the Yamaha DSR112 and it is great!

I totally agree - the Yamaha is a great speaker. I have a friend who runs 2 in his rig and we did a comparison with my Verve 12ma - mainly to see which monitor got controlled feedback. Just for info the Yamahas easily managed controlled feedback at low volumes, where as we struggled to get the same with the 12ma. Also, the Yamahas do sound 'darker' to me, but that was not a bad thing.

You are quite right the highs are smooth and again I preferred the highs on the DSR to the 12ma. The bass is nice and tight and ideal for palm muted material and you can easily get the Yamahas to sound like a cab using the sims.

What did surprise me about the Yamaha, is that it played equally as well at low 'home' levels as it does being cranked as a back line and that must be something to do with the contour control.

I'm seriously thinking of taking a hit on the Verve, selling it and buying 2 DSR 112 - a great speaker.

Wow.

Got mine today and didn't have a tone of time to play with it, but at 1/3rd volume it was LOUD. And more importantly it sounded great. I cannot wait to dial in some patches with this. Unfortunately I doubt I'll have time to get everything up and running for my show next Saturday. Who knows thou. If I can get a rhythm, lead, and clean patch dialed in on Saturday (as well as getting my FCB up and running) I might have a shot. Will post more impressions as I get more time with it.

Bit of an update;

Took it to the band room the other day and started dialing in some very basic tones (amp->eq->cab). Needless to say, bandmates were VERY skeptical at first. "Sounds like shit" and "Why aren't you just using a real amp". Finally got a few good base tones dialed in after that then we had a full practice. Everyone was complimenting me on my tone, playing (which was no different it just SOUNDED better). Volume wasn't an issue. Had plenty of room to go and was not at all drowned out! Gonna be using the entire rig on Saturday for sure!

For those on a tighter budget, I've found the Yamaha MSR400s to be pretty much the best value for money cheap, powered box around... down here in Australia at the moment, at least. They eat the more expensive Mackie SRM450s for breakfast when it comes to delivering clean, linear frequency response. They're a little bit crisp at the top end so my patches inevitably end up sounding a little harsher in rehearsal than in the studio, but they get the job done very well for few $$$.

Having said that, I certainly look forward to upgrading to something more suitable for use as a wedge and with more solid wooden box at some point in the future! :lol

Akakormo,
I am auditioning a DSR112 here now. Do you leave the contour switch ON ? In my brief time with the speaker I found it bass heavy with contour enabled.

Thanks

I have the Yamaha DSR112 and it is great! THere will not be a volume issue for you unless you set something in your chain very quitely. I love the definition and the control of the contour to make quiet and loud volumes sound more consitant. So far I have been running it about 6 hours a week for 2 hours each time and I have never had a problem. Nice smooth highs and a lot of "thump" in the low end. It has a nice dispersion and easily fills the room. Make sure your power amp and cab sims are on or you will feel a fool. Any questions just feel free to ask and I will tell you what you need to know or at least my interperetation of what you need to know. Seriously a great speaker though.

Forgot to mention I did not A/B with much else asthe onlystore which carried this speaker carried NOTHING ELSE...I have to say I did not really dig the K12 but others love it and it could have been settings and all of that. with the Yamaha I just plugged it in and dialed through presets and it was golden!

Hey Teddis,
I do infact leave the contour switch on. I know what you mean about it sounding bottom heavy for sure. The method behind my madness with that is keeping the bass super tight on the axe fx and letting the dsr do the "natural" low end sound. I prefer it personally. That being said, logically, I would turn it off as it is really to help with low volumes not high volumes. I played with the Speaker Freq Resonance parameter (I use a standard and I can offically say "Old school" now) and it livened up the lower mids which really complimented the sound I get with the contour switch on.

Again, this is what my ears came up with not my logic.

Back
Top Bottom