Yamaha DSR112 or Electro-Voice ZLX-12P?

Oliver Clark

Hi!
So im using an axe fx ultra (until i feel the need to get an AX8) and for live use i currently have a matrix power amp and an orange 2x12. I have no problems with it now, but im looking to buy a powered speaker for band rehearsals so we can play our backing tracks and it got me thinking, why not buy a good quality one so i can also use it to replace my cab and power amp.
So my question is, which one of these speakers would work best for use with an axe fx AND backing tracks (we have a computer-mixer setup)?
The EV is $600 AUD new while the Yamaha is $1300 new so im really wondering if its worth it to go Yamaha (i hope it isnt).
Thanks

Last edited:
I have a dsr112, love it but it doesn't have presets for placements such as wedge so it's kinda picky on placement. It is loud, unbelievably loud.

I paid 1250each for a pair of dsr112's a few months ago in Australia. Very happy with them so far, but haven't used them for ax8 a lot.
For backing tracks + guitar you should be happy.
They also get great reviews as front of house speakers

Sorry no ev experience

I paid 1250each for a pair of dsr112's a few months ago in Australia. Very happy with them so far, but haven't used them for ax8 a lot.
For backing tracks + guitar you should be happy.
They also get great reviews as front of house speakers

Sorry no ev experience
Ok thanks for the info. Just because these are going to be for band practice and as my onstage cabs for live shows (on the rare occasion where front of house cant just take direct from my Ultra) im leaning towards getting the EV's as theyre half the price. Thanks alot for the info though, the Yamahas may be a good upgrade in the future.

If I were just using them for practice and the occasion I would 2nd the EV's. I have a pair and they are ok for what they are and how much I paid for the pair $800.00 and for the money difference in your case that's where I would be.

If I were just using them for practice and the occasion I would 2nd the EV's. I have a pair and they are ok for what they are and how much I paid for the pair $800.00 and for the money difference in your case that's where I would be.
Ok thanks for the info. Having used the EV's what would you say is the main problem or gripe you have with them?

Ok thanks for the info. Having used the EV's what would you say is the main problem or gripe you have with them?

They seem to lack mid range when compared to a studio monitor so that tells me they are somewhat hyped in the lows and highs, no surprise there. As long as you know that going in I would just make minor corrections in the O/P EQ section to compensate for it.

Other than that they seem to be ok, I have gigged them quite a few times using them as FOH and monitors with a full band and they get the job done...well as long as your not a full on metal act!

If your a sucker for great sound, I would seriously consider the RCF 732A. Clear, tight, good low end and not harsh. The vocals come out really nice compared to others I have used.

I have a dsr112, love it but it doesn't have presets for placements such as wedge so it's kinda picky on placement. It is loud, unbelievably loud.
They 'HPF' switch on the back would be the same as 'monitor mode' on most powered wedges.

If you're talking about PA duty as well, the Yamaha will walk all over that EV.
I've heard/used them both. The Yamaha DSR 112 is top notch for small PA duty.

Possibly, though I play down tuned guitars a lot and just lifting if off the ground a foot or two without the low cut on works best for me.

It helps but not enough.
Really? It's at 120Hz - 24dB/oct filter
Typical cut for a wedge/top combo speaker.

According to Genelec, studio monitors' desktop acoustical loading is around 141 Hz +/- 31 Hz, so perhaps 120 Hz cutoff doesn't cover enough for wedge duty. Not sure what other PA companies do for their "wedge" setting, most don't seem to list the exact EQ change.

Last edited:
According to Genelec, studio monitors' desktop acoustical loading is around 141 Hz +/- 31 Hz, so perhaps 120 Hz cutoff doesn't cover enough for wedge duty. Not sure what other PA companies do for their "wedge" setting, most don't seem to list the exact EQ change.
The majority of mid level PA wedges are between 100 and 120 from what I've seen/read/owned.
Of course, if that doesn't work, then it's simple enough to Eq your Axe output.

Back
Top Bottom