Yamaha Bluetooth Midi system

I just looked at this online a bit and I would think it should work just fine. *However* I would purchase one and test it being sure that you can return it if it doesn't work. Here are some comments off the top of my head:
  • Just because it says it works with the Mac and iOS doesn't mean it fully supports all MIDI operations. Particularly, I know that the Mac MIDI implementation has difficulty with SysEx messages and the applications that use them
  • You would still need to have your MFC-101 "wired" because you'll have to power it with the wall-wart transformer
  • It gets its power (26mW) from the MIDI OUT of your device (MFC-101) but it is not Phantom power
  • Yamaha provides a list of supported devices (all Yamaha brand) so make sure they don't have some "creative" MIDI pinout usage to power the thing
Bottom line, it looks good, but test it and let us know. Should have a range of about 30 feet.

EDIT: I should also mention the MIDI PUC and PUC+ that's been out there for quite a while.
2nd Edit: MIDI is a fire-and-forget protocol so there's no flow control to speak of so large SysEx messages could potentially drop data. Dump/Restore of your MFC-101 will probably not work over this device unless it has a large internal buffer but communication for the purposes of Axe-Fx control should work just fine. Also, they claim it can send-receive MIDI data in real time so it is probably fast and has a large buffer.

Last edited:
Idea of wireless MIDI is to lose the cable between the pedal board and the rack but as Gary mentioned, you will still be on a leash as you need to power the MFC somehow so….the cable is moved from one side to another, that’s all.

Above that, I would not trust this wireless thing, just to think of a live situation where your are heating the board for a screaming lead tone and the whole thing is stuck on the last preset which is a clean tone….you start jumping on the poor MFC but the Axe stays still, nothing moves, then the solo part is over, your buddies looks at you with furies face, the crowd giggle, chuckles thinking “who is that imbecile?” and you have this poor face on you….

Ahhhh, very bad situation for the average guitarist ego. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom