Y-cable instead of auxilary inputs on in-ear transmitter

Inspired
Hi, If i get an in ear setup but the transmitter does not have 2 seperate inputs ( i want a direct send from the axe-fx to the in ear transmitter, together with the normal iem mix) would it be as easy as using one or 2 of these: (Y-Cable 1/4" (M) Mono to Dual 1/4" (F) Mono)

http://img.thefind.com/images/WAB79m_Lt ... A*?m=1&g=1

I could just plug axefx straight into the transmitter's right input and the iem mix into the left but I dont want the iem signal in one ear and the axe signal in the other.

Sorry for my noobness.

Thanks

THere's all sorts of stuff like impedances and such that dictate an electronics expert to tell you that you shouldn't do that, but me, I say: try it and find out. Most you'll have to loose is two insert cables, there's nothing you could do damage to.

I think it would be all right, both the mixer and the Axe should be sending line level at comparable impedances. I used to split and combine signals like this for ages in our band PA. You can adjust the mix by the Axe's output pot, just the monitormixlevel is steady.

There are those new IEM transmitters that let you mix several sources nowadays. Worth checking out.

Let us know if the y cable set up works. I was thinking of doing this very thing to combine a guitar pro click track and the house mains. Ofcourse this was before the singer quite now its not a big necessity to try out.

Cron said:
I could just plug axefx straight into the transmitter's right input and the iem mix into the left but I dont want the iem signal in one ear and the axe signal in the other.

Actually that is how I run mine. I set the receiver on mono and it gives me both signals in both ears with the balance control on the receiver functioning as a "more me" adjuster for my guitar. We don't run our monitor mixes in stereo anyways so mono doesn't lose anything there. I am using a Mipro MI 808T/R for IEM's.

WKG said:
Cron said:

Actually that is how I run mine. I set the receiver on mono and it gives me both signals in both ears with the balance control on the receiver functioning as a "more me" adjuster for my guitar. We don't run our monitor mixes in stereo anyways so mono doesn't lose anything there. I am using a Mipro MI 808T/R for IEM's.

Thats interesting..... ill give that a go. So setting the unit to mono should/could make both left and right inputs still work. This is what im thinking of getting http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/ho ... -g3_021210.

Im specifically looking at that one because they are widely used on tours and they are reliable and my band's singer already has one..... oh and i can get a good deal on it. I'll guess ill have to borrow it and try the mono approach 1st... if that doesnt work ill try a y-cable. The Shure p4m looks great but would be pushing this whole venture out of my budget.

I'll report back with my findings.

http://www.uprightsound.com/servlet/the ... tor/Detail

I bought this chinese brand karsect thats comparable to a higher end brand feature wise. I forget which brand i was comparing it to though. From all the research i did on IEM's you want to get the true diversity IEM's system. The transmitter cost you 350 dollors and the body packs cost 166 dollors. Only problems ive had so far is with the body pack battery pack's battery terminal bent back when i accidentally dropped it a couple of times and ive had to open it up and bend it back into place. Ive not been able to test at a gig yet though. If you buy one make sure you get the right AC/DC converter, cause i bought one on ebay and they sent me a euro type ac/dc converter, and i had to buy another from upright sound. oops

True Diversity
A wireless microphone term. A more advanced form of a diversity receiver, a true diversity system contains a radio receiver that actually has two independent receiver sections, each with its own antenna (rather than a single receiver with one or two antennas), to pick up the transmission from a wireless microphone. The antennas are spaced apart on the unit, and by means of a comparison circuit the unit constantly polls the two receivers to select the one with the strongest signal. The result is an exceptionally stable signal, since the appearance of a dropout in both antennas at the same time is not likely under normal circumstances.

This true diversity in IEM's works the same way, but works the opposite with the body pack having two recievers and is scanning for the signal.

Check out the Carvin EM900 unit. The specs are very comparable to the $600 Sennheiser and Shure units and they include earphones that people are actually liking as opposed to the Sennheiser and Shure which come with "throw away" earphones (according to way too many people for me not to believe).

I have the EM900 setup and I'm very impressed. Dead quite, incredibly accurate sound, and feature packed. It has the mono mix control mode mentioned above. I like that it uses two AA batteries instead of a 9 V. I compared CDs direct and through the EM900 using my M-Audio IE-40 earphones and that's when I realized this unit is the "real deal."

The included EM902 earphones are OK in my opinion. I compared them to Westone UM1s and my IE-40s. They are comparable to the UM1 but have more bass. There is quite a difference between the EM902s and UM1s compared to the IE-40s, though.

Anyways, not an answer to the original post, but it started going towards wireless units.

- John

I'm pretty set on the Sennheiser EW300IEM G3. I dont know bout the carvins but the sennheiser has a graphic-eq on the unit and its limiting adjustments are very flexible. Carvin isnt available here in Australia anyway.

I would probably end buying some molded in ears or just a pair of quality normal ones. The earphones that came with my singer's sennheiser unit are indeed terrible.

I had the new Carvin unit for awhile. The Carvin was certainly usable but I settled on the Mipro as it was alot quieter. The Carvin belt pack was also pretty big and you needed to be a gorilla to change the batteries in the thing. I did keep the ear phones for a spare set, they are not bad at all.

I really like the features on the Sennheiser though and probably would have went that way but the Mipro was less expensive with excellent reviews. I'd like to compare the two side by side.

Ah thanks mipro 808 was the IEM's that i compared to the karsect. One thing i didnt like about the karsect is it only had three eq settings on the body pack, but i guess thats what you get for the cheaper price.

Back
Top Bottom