XS taking two hits to change scenes etc. YEK i need your help

i have 4 EXTERNAL SWITCHES (you know the extension box with 4 switches made in Italy i think, by the guy who doesn't make them anymore.)
OUT 1/2 to SWITCHES 1/2 on MFC (stereo cable)
OUT 3/4 to SWITCHES 3/4 on MFC (stereo cable)

XS1 set to change DELAY LEVEL from 12 to 40. (CC#19 (EXT CRTL 5 - assigned to MIN 12 ,& MAX 40, as a MODIFIER)
XS2 set to ROTARY on/off (CC#86 ROTARY1 BYP)
XS3 set to AMP X/Y (CC#100 AMP X/Y)
XS4 set to SCENE INC CC33 (CC#33 SCENE INC)
All set to TypTOG on MFC

Problems are on XS1 and XS4

XS1 - my default volume is 12. If i switch to 40 and select another patch it retains the level of 40 and not the default or 12. I hate that!

XS4 - requires 2 hits to select a new scene. I hate that too.

Any ideas master?
Cheers
Peter

Hi @PETER NORTHCOTE,

I discuss the external switches on this wiki page:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=MFC-101#MFC-101:_connect_an_external_switch

The extension box probably has 4 "momentary" switches. You did define them as "momentary" in EDIT > SETUP > XS?

To make Scene Increment (switch 4) work, you probably have to change that switch type to TypHDW in EDIT > MIDI > XS4.

Regarding Delay Level, that's probably something that you have to solve in the presets, using the PC RST parameter in the Delay Level modifier menu. Turn Delay Level to 12, set PC RST to ON, and save the preset.

Thanks Yek,

Yes, Before i contacted you, i did read and try all you say in your wiki page. I tried all option...and even the wrong ones to see if you (undoubtedly) had made a mistake.

Yes, i have made the switches MOMENTARY in EDIT - MIDI - XS

I tried setting PC RST to ON.
Interestingly it did work after each new selection of a patch. In other words it did reset to level 12. However when i selected a new patch (with PC RST on) it started at level 12 (good!) it then took 4 hits to achieve the level of 40.

Interestingly also, i have one XS set to ROTARY ON/OFF. It works fine with ONE HIT.
But my same problem is happening also on X/Y AMP 1. and SCENE INC.

Do we have a bug here?
Am i the only one getting this result?

Thanks for your time.
Peter

ohh i also tried ...instead, setting X to level 12 and Y to level 40.
I had the same problem.

Also Setting SCENE INC to TypHDW makes the switch into a ....ONLY WORKS WHEN PRESSED ON switch. You have to hold your foot on the switch.

Yes, I understand. It's pretty complicated.

The issue is keeping switch states sync'd with the MFC/Axe-Fx. There are limitations. Syncing is not a problem when using hardware momentary switches, set to TypHDW. But as you did find out, that limits their use.

There's a trick for the scene switching. Verify that switch 4 is set to Momentary and TypHD. In EDIT > MIDI > XS4, set "Off" to "NONE".
This should make Scene Increment work, and keep it sync'd when switching presets.

This won't work for the other switches though.

If you have momentary functionality programmed on the onboard MFC switches, perhaps you can move that to the external switches, and then use onboard switches for AMP XY and Delay Level.

Last edited:
Don't forget there are two places for switch configuration. In the Setup menu, you tell the MFC what type of hardware switch you have connected (momentary or toggle/latching). In the MIDI menu you tell the MFC how you want the switch to behave (momentary switches can be made to function like toggle). You have to set them both correctly.

Hey Yek,
(i probably should post this issue as a NEW issue)
But it is basically the same problem.

I am now on the FC12.
I have an external momentary switch connected to the FC12.
I have it selecting (for example) the FILTER BLOCK = ON/OFF

However, if i select it ON in a patch then select a new patch, (i have selected PC reset - ON) it takes 2 hits of the switch to have it "ON" again in the new patch.

This is not what i want. ... for obvious reasons.

Any wisdom?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hey Yek,
(i probably should post this issue as a NEW issue)
But it is basically the same problem.

I am now on the FC12.
I have an external momentary switch connected to the FC12.
I have it selecting (for example) the FILTER BLOCK = ON/OFF

However, if i select it ON in a patch then select a new patch, (i have selected PC reset - ON) it takes 2 hits of the switch to have it "ON" again in the new patch.

This is not what i want. ... for obvious reasons.

Any wisdom?
Thanks in advance
Is your physical switch momentary or latching? How have you set the switch settings of the FC?

I think i have found a workaround.

Ive assigned the switch to a STAND-IN SWITCH located on an UNASSIGNED slot in the MASTER LAYOUT and assigned it to the FILTER ON/OFF.

Not what i wanted, but it works.
You also have to set the SWITCH BEHAVIOUR to FOLLOW HARDWARE.

...but......

Back
Top Bottom