Xpenno IRs - Marshall/Celestion v30

xpenno

Power User
Hi guys,

I just created an initial batch of IRs from my Marshall 1936 Cab (don't be put off by the fact that it's a 2x12). The cab is pretty new but I loaded some well worn v30s that have been used at gig levels for a few years so are nice and worn in. I also used my 20 year old SM57. I think that they are very usable and would like to know what you guys think.

The setup was pretty simple Axe2 Out 2 - Matrix GT1500FXBD - Cab - SM57 - Motu 8pre - Axe2 Input 2

This was the case for the first 3 cabs, the 4th I ran through some plugs in my DAW so it was Axe2 Out 2 - Matrix GT1500FXBD - Cab - SM57 - Motu 8pre - DAW - Axe2 Input 2

the 4th cab is identical to the 3rd in mic placement etc.. the only difference is plugin chain that was added to give it a studio feel but no direct EQ was added, they were just used to get the feel. The plugs were (just noticed that Axechange has removed the majority or the details about each cab :( )

Slate VCC - Brit4K SSL
Waves API 2500 EQ (no eq set)
Waves CLA-76 Backface Comp (no comp)
Waves Kramer Master Tape (May have hi/lo-pass, need to check)

Hopefully the cab names on Axechange speak for themselves with regards to placement :)

IR1 - Axe-Change - Download 2x12 - Xpenno_1936v30_0.5in_capedge - by Xpenno
IR2 - Axe-Change - Download 2x12 - Xpenno_1936v30_0.5in_capedge+ - by Xpenno
IR3 - Axe-Change - Download 2x12 - Xpenno_1936v30_0.75in_capedge+ - by Xpenno
IR4 - Axe-Change - Download 2x12 - Xpenno_1936v30_0.75in_capedge+S - by Xpenno

Let me know what you think, clips to follow.

Spence

Clip added

Last edited:
Thanks for making these. I plan on checking them out once I get the energy to do so (got the flu at the moment).

Get well soon man, and no probs on the cabs. I have already shot a few more on the darker side, I also have a CAD Trion 7000 ribbon and a Rode NTK valve mic that I'm going to test, looking forward to the results.

Spence

Thanks for making and sharing these Xpenno.
I will give them a try tomorrow and report back.

Thanks for sharing, Spence! I just shot some IRs of my Avatar semi-open back 2x12 with V30s with a new SM57. I will share these, and I plan on shooting some more IRs using my Studio Projects B1 condenser mic as well.

tried Ir4 last night quickly with one of my HB patches , sounded very good but not exactly what I wanted for that patch.
these are definitely "very usable" thatnks for sharing them :)

tried Ir4 last night quickly with one of my HB patches , sounded very good but not exactly what I wanted for that patch.
these are definitely "very usable" thatnks for sharing them :)

That's cool! Did you try IR3, it has some more balls/low end if that's what your after :) IR4 would probably work better in a recording mix maybe whereas IR3 might be better suited to live work. No worries either way, just glad people are checking them out :)

I didn't yet I just tried #4 it sounds very good but not for that particular patch I tiried it with, I will try IR3 and the others though
I'm trying to get the Silver Jubilee to sound "right" so that's my test base amp for these IRs at the moment. :)

No worries man! I'll see if I can get everything set back up tomorrow so that I can download the next batch I shot, these include some slightly darker options as well which may be of use to folks, IR4 is pretty bright.

the 4th cab is identical to the 3rd in mic placement etc.. the only difference is plugin chain that was added to give it a studio feel but no direct EQ was added, they were just used to get the feel. The plugs were (just noticed that Axechange has removed the majority or the details about each cab :( )

Slate VCC - Brit4K SSL
Waves API 2500 EQ (no eq set)
Waves CLA-76 Backface Comp (no comp)
Waves Kramer Master Tape (May have hi/lo-pass, need to check)

Have you tried adding EQ with your IRs? I'm always curious about how people approach creating IRs and TMAs.

Spence, thanks so much for doing these, I've just tried them out and...WOW. Absolutely love them, especially IR3. Great job and thanks again
Gary

Have you tried adding EQ with your IRs? I'm always curious about how people approach creating IRs and TMAs.

Not really, I'm not really into trying to clone album guitar tones into the Axe, in my experience they don't work well in a band scenario. It should be pretty easy to add EQ though, I've done it with Ownhammer cabs in my DAW and added a nice 1st order high/low cut to them, worked well.

Spence

Spence, thanks so much for doing these, I've just tried them out and...WOW. Absolutely love them, especially IR3. Great job and thanks again
Gary

Thanks Gary, it's nice to hear that they are working for others.

I've got some slightly darker versions that I still need to pull out of my Axe if anyone is interested?

Spence

Back
Top Bottom