1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

XLR Outputs not working suddenly [NOT A BUG]

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Bugs' started by CocoLeeEP, Dec 27, 2015.

1. CocoLeeEP

CocoLeeEP
    Expand Collapse
    New here

Hey guys! First post but it is a pretty crucial one.

I have had my Axe Fx II XL for a bit more than a year with no problems. But yesterday suddenly my XLR outs stopped working, but the 1/4" are working fine. Tried different cables and settings. I haven't dropped or done anything to the AFII for this to happen. I have a show in a couple of weeks, and I rely on both of those outs.

Help? Lol

Thanks in advance!

2. FractalAudio

FractalAudio
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Fractal Audio Systems Moderator

Are you sure it's the Axe-Fx and not the downstream gear? The 1/4" outputs share circuitry with the XLRs so it's unlikely for one to be working and not the other. One possibility is the ribbon cable from the motherboard to the XLR daughter board became unplugged.

3. CocoLeeEP

CocoLeeEP
    Expand Collapse
    New here

Yeah i went right into a powered p.a, as well as tried going directly into a mixing console without the signal coming through. Tried multiple cords and same thing. But the 1/4" outs work fine.

I noticed it first when I was playing with my rig (AF2 into x32 rack) that i was only getting the left signal on the x32. I checked everything, no issue before. One day I tried it and it didnt work.

Then tried what i said above with different cables and nothing, except 1/4" worked

4. Stratman68

Stratman68
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

OK-but that's not a bug...something is wrong yes, but a bug is, well different. That is something broken or loose. is not a big deal at all.

Did you check the inside as Cliff suggested to see if the ribbon cables came loose? Opening the axe cover - just remember the fan may be mounted\attached to the cover so you cannot just rip it off. Pull it up a bit and locate the fan and see the wires for the fan, etc.

5. GotMetalBoy

GotMetalBoy
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Also, make sure you remember where the fan cable plugs into the motherboard or take a picture before you disconnect it. The fan cable may be short, so you may not be able to lift the cover more than 6".

6. CocoLeeEP

CocoLeeEP
    Expand Collapse
    New here

Hey guys! Just checked the ribbon cord and it was out! What the hell haha, such an easy fix. I appreciate your help, and I will definitely be more active in this forum! Really appreciate it.
    Also, my fan wasn't attached to the roof of the unit, luckily! I didn't read the message about carefully lifting it off, prior, but it was smooth regardless.

Cheers!

chris, GotMetalBoy and iaresee like this.
  7. PETER NORTHCOTE

PETER NORTHCOTE
    Expand Collapse
    New here

Excellent, This just happened to me too.

8. dpeterson

dpeterson
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

get a hot glue gun and put a dab on either side, and it will never happen again, not sure why they didnt do this at the factory.