xlr out vs trs out, any sound quality difference?

Hey guys ,

so my AX8 is showing up today and have a few questions on how to set her up.

So far I have the AX8, a set of 8" berhinger TRUTH monitors and a Sony branded under desk sub-woofer (not sure if I can use it yet as it only has a spdif/RCA type input, maybe a 1/4 to RCA adapter into it?)

anyway, i plan to also get a audio interface with spdif in. I notice most if not all home grade interfaces do not have XLR out so that just leaves 1/4" out to the monitors from the interface. Now obviously I would want to buy 1/4" TRS cables to run to my monitors from the interface. However, the AX8 has XLR out, would there be any sound quality difference running XLR over 1/4" TRS? A few people have told me it will be " WAY BETTER" to run XLR but im kind of doubting it...

Thanks in advance for any info.

Hey guys ,

So far I have the AX8, a set of 8" berhinger TRUTH monitors and a Sony branded under desk sub-woofer (not sure if I can use it yet as it only has a spdif/RCA type input, maybe a 1/4 to RCA adapter into it?)

anyway, i plan to also get a audio interface with spdif in. I notice most if not all home grade interfaces do not have XLR out so that just leaves 1/4" out to the monitors from the interface. Now obviously I would want to buy 1/4" TRS cables to run to my monitors from the interface. However, the AX8 has XLR out, would there be any sound quality difference running XLR over 1/4" TRS? A few people have told me it will be " WAY BETTER" to run XLR but im kind of doubting it...

XLR is way better as far as no noise and no clicks pops when plugging cables into and out of powered monitors. I use focal alpha 50 when monitoring at home sometimes and these are XLR equipped. Sound wise once connected and with a short distance 1/4 inch is the same.

Hey guys ,

So as far as sound quality there is little if any difference between 1/4 or XLR outputs. However this has been my experience.
As my computer is in close proximity to my AX8 the 1/4 cable definitely picks up more interference from said PC.
Once I switched to a good quality XLR going into my USB recording interface (Focusrite Scarlet) the pops and noise I was getting are gone.

The AX8 has unbalanced 1/4” outputs so you would not use a TRS 1/4” cable, just a standard instrument (TS) cable.

Generally speaking, no sound quality difference unless you have interference like described above.

Yep, the 1/4" outs on the AX8 are TS, not TRS. Live I often use the 1/4" outs for my stage monitor and send the XLR to FOH. I seriously doubt I could tell the difference in a blind AB test. And in a band setting and the stages I've been on I have yet to have a problem with hum or noise on the 1/4" cable.

At home in the studio I always use the XLR's - typically one side to my CLR NEO and the other to the console.

Back
Top Bottom