XLR ground lift?

REDD

Fractal Fanatic
I have a ground issue in my rack that happens when the mic cable from the P.A. is hooked to my wireless mic that is in the rack with my guitar wireless. I get a loud buzz from my CLR'S and it stops when I unplug the cable to my wireless mic. The wireless units for the guitar and mic are both the same brand and model. I shielded all contact with them so they don't ground together in the rack anymore and it went away but I need too mount them side by side to save space and I read that an XLR ground lift would work or even cutting the number 1 pin ground wire on the mic cable but I don't want to do something wrong and mess up my signal. Anyone have the lowdown on this? Thanks

Last edited:
You can try an inline XLR ground lift. Search on Amazon.

597490819bc55e67f9eedb542d621ba9-6e65bbdbb8b22b70b7aff13dc87a7f47.jpg

Signal is carried on XLR Pin2 (+) and Pin3 (-). Lifting the ground (Pin1) should have no effect on the signal.

IF you mount them side by side they should have the same ground ..no?
If you have buzz from the XLR connected to the PA, it's likely due to the PA being on a different circuit/ground, NOT your rack/rig!

Tracking down hum and buzz problems can be a major pain, but with good trouble shooting you should be able to track down the problem. Check all cables and make sure that they are no issues, shorts etc. verify the power supplies to both your wireless units swap them from one unit to the other. A cable tester or digital multimeter will be a great asset. If you dont have one, borrow or buy one. 9 out of 10 times cables are the culprit with these noise problems. Happy hunting and good luck

Back
Top Bottom