XL+ with Monitors

So I just picked up the Axe FX II XL+ and am about to set it up. My plan is to use it for bedroom playing either through a pair of monitors or head phones. I am set on getting the Yamaha HS7's for monitors but was curious, do I hook them up directly to the Axe, or do I go through something else? I've seen some others use a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2. Whats the purpose of that and would it be beneficial to have? I do plan on sometime in the near future to do some home recording on a computer.

Also, Whats the best way to jam along with music?

Thanks,
Scott

The monitors can be connected directly to the Axe. The Axe would then be your "sound card." The benefit of this for recording is that you eliminate two digital/analog conversion steps. This should be sufficient for bedroom jamming.

The benifit of going with a 2i2 is that you have a way to mic vocals or an acoustic, plus you "relieve" the Axe of soundcard duty. However, it will add two digital/analog conversion steps: the Axe will convert to analog before sending it to Output 1 or 2, then the interface would convert it back to digital. This isn't a big deal though, unless you have a really discerning ear.

IMHO, start with just the Axe via USB, and connect the monitors to the Axe. In the future, if/when you decide you need more flexibility, I'd go with the 6i6 instead of the 2i2. It's about $100 more--you get more inputs & outputs, but to me the big deal is you also get SPDIF, which eliminates the A/D conversion steps.

Try a pair of JBL 305 for your bedroom playing. Not expensive and they sound really good with my AX8. I graduated to a Xitone Michael Britt 1x12 Cab and sounds great a home also.

Back
Top Bottom