XL with MFC regarding MIDI

mwd

Power User
I use a lot of MIDI devices with program changes triggered via computer. It is awesome but one area that lacks is when I may have just finished a crazy distorted lead and we want to just jam for a few minutes and I need my clean sound.

I have to pull up my software, go thru a couple of menus, and tap a manual MIDI change or crawl around on the floor on my knees to rotate the Axe dial in my rack.

I wondered if a potential solution could be be the MFC-101 but I know it must communicate with the Fractal via MIDI which means it has to be on some channel. I most likely would use it via FASlink on an XL when I get all my gear situated.

Our devices take up a lot of MIDI channels. One being an X32 which soaks up channels 1 thru 6 and lights which take channels 15/16. Ultra, Big Sky, A/B box and Voicelive take up other channels. So I have 4 channels of MIDI left for expansion.

I will want to operate my XL via computer 99% of the time on one channel but be able to tap a footswitch on the MFC for on the fly changes.

My question is can I change the XL via MIDI in from both computer and the MFC. So for example could I choose channel 12 for the XL to receive messages from computer and also channel 12 to receive from the MFC?

No need for MFC or MIDI! Use a foot switch plugged into the back of the Axe (pedal jack) and assign it to switch between scenes 1/2. I think the scenes will remember different values per scene if it's the same block. If you need a clean amp, run another line on the grid with a clean amp block/cab... on it and just have the amps volume switch values- one on, one off depending on the scene.

Last edited:
Reactions: mwd
I use a lot of MIDI devices with program changes triggered via computer. It is awesome but one area that lacks is when I may have just finished a crazy distorted lead and we want to just jam for a few minutes and I need my clean sound.

I have to pull up my software, go thru a couple of menus, and tap a manual MIDI change or crawl around on the floor on my knees to rotate the Axe dial in my rack.

I wondered if a potential solution could be be the MFC-101 but I know it must communicate with the Fractal via MIDI which means it has to be on some channel. I most likely would use it via FASlink on an XL when I get all my gear situated.

Our devices take up a lot of MIDI channels. One being an X32 which soaks up channels 1 thru 6 and lights which take channels 15/16. Ultra, Big Sky, A/B box and Voicelive take up other channels. So I have 4 channels of MIDI left for expansion.

I will want to operate my XL via computer 99% of the time on one channel but be able to tap a footswitch on the MFC for on the fly changes.

My question is can I change the XL via MIDI in from both computer and the MFC. So for example could I choose channel 12 for the XL to receive messages from computer and also channel 12 to receive from the MFC?
Yes, I do this with my setup. A tablet with 'Setlist Maker' selects presets on a few devices, Ableton controls any scenes and CC commands when using a backing track, and I still can access preset, scenes, on/off switches, and expression pedals at any time.

The MFC is set to 'Total Sync', so it updates and reflects any changes sent directly to the Axe-Fx II via midi.

Reactions: mwd
Thank you for the help guys. Jakbur I oversimplified. In addition I would like to assign preset +/- volume as a function as well as looper and be able to use tuner on floor if possible.

Back
Top Bottom