XL+ popping when power down

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
Okay I know it's best practice to turn the monitor off first but sometimes I forget. I was under the impression that the XL+ had circuitry to minimize the power down pop? Mine is extremely loud.. Like orders of magnitude louder than the AX8 was. Just seems kinda strange since reduced power down pop was mentioned somewhere in the XL+ description unless I'm losing my mind which is very likely

The golden rule of gear is turn the power amp on last when powering up, and turn the power amp off first when powering down.

Okay I know it's best practice to turn the monitor off first but sometimes I forget. I was under the impression that the XL+ had circuitry to minimize the power down pop? Mine is extremely loud.. Like orders of magnitude louder than the AX8 was. Just seems kinda strange since reduced power down pop was mentioned somewhere in the XL+ description unless I'm losing my mind which is very likely

Unfortunately, that is pretty much the norm. On my first unit, the AxeFX Ultra, it was quiet enough to turn off without shutting down the powered monitors first. I about jumped out of my skin when I did the same thing after my AxeFXII Mark2 first arrived (and any accidental memory lapses since then). I need to purchase one of the units that automatically turn things off in a chosen sequence. Just thought I'd chime in.

Lee

Did you lower the output level in the Axe-Fx itself before turning off?

Did you lower the output level in the Axe-Fx itself before turning off?
You need to lower the Output Level to 0 before turning it off.
pretty sure this doesn't affect anything. edit - i was just told that the XL versions possibly reduce it by turning the volume down before power off. the Mark I definitely did not do this, and i've never heard about this before.

the Axe always had a louder pop than the AX8, which is close to silent for me. this is all normal. turn off the speakers first, or mute the mixer channel if available. yes, some other gear doesn't pop, but many do, and it's not just an Axe thing.

Last edited:
pretty sure this doesn't affect anything. edit - i was just told that the XL versions possibly reduce it by turning the volume down before power off. the Mark I definitely did not do this, and i've never heard about this before.

the Axe always had a louder pop than the AX8, which is close to silent for me. this is all normal. turn off the speakers first, or mute the mixer channel if available. yes, some other gear doesn't pop, but many do, and it's not just an Axe thing.

pop power cycle ax fx

I couldn't always remember to sequence the power up/down action properly, so I got one of these units from Carvin...

538664-product-images-ac120s-1_1024x1024.jpg

Plug in your various amps/preamps/effects/power amps/etc. in the order they should power up, and when you hit the "SEQ" (sequence) button, they turn on one after another at a rate you can set from 1 to 4 seconds between each outlet. When you're done doing whatever you set out to do, hitting the "SEQ" button again turns everything off in the reverse order. No more "pops" signaling the death of your crossovers and/or tweeters!

Convenience lamps are LED clusters, so they're unlikely to ever burn out. Nice and bright, too, so they're actually useful. Of course, it has the normal EMI/RFI filtering like you'd expect out something like a Furman, for whatever that's worth. Overall, it seems like a nice enough unit, and is reasonably priced. I've had mine about 5 years now and it hasn't misbehaved yet.

Last edited:
My Mark II does this too. Once I start using it live I'll have a mixer between it and the sound desk as I run it in parallel with other gear. Hopefuly I remember to turn the volume down before powering off :)
It would be nice if FAS addressed this issue in future products though (I suspect it's not something that can be fixed with a FW update)

It would be nice if FAS addressed this issue in future products though (I suspect it's not something that can be fixed with a FW update)
as mentioned in this thread, the XL and XL+, as well as the AX8 - all future products compared to the Mark II - have suppressed the pop.

My XL pops pretty loud when I power it off. I have mine running into a mixer so I just hit the mute button on that channel before I power down so I'm not bothered by it. Then again seems a lot of my gear pops during power down certain synths , interfaces even my Yamaha HS8's.

My XL+ always pops when I power down, but it's not very loud if I turn down my outputs before I do it so I've never worried too much about it. The side that is feeding into the EHX 44 Magnum/4x12 cab is a louder pop then the side that is going into my CLR.

After so many years I still forget time to time, and wince in pain as my speaker sounds like its going to die. I've almost worn out the ac plug in my studio where I unplug and plug in my monitor so many times.

I just got one of these a couple months ago and really like it. It also makes it really nice not to have to get behind the CLRs to turn them on......highly recommended.

I had one. After a couple years the relay network went nuts - you'd press one button, and several would trigger. The sequence thing stopped working and just turned them all off/on.

I contacted Carvin and they said, more or less, "too bad - we'll sell you a new one for $30 off".

I've seen inside newer ones, and they've totally redone the logic network. But I'll never buy another Carvin electronic product again.

I play probably 95% through headphones when at home so sometimes I forget the rule when using my power amp and cabs ....... I get to the point where I'm in that tired but happy mellowed out zone after playing through the cabs then 'POP' ..... ballocks ...... instant anxiety :)

I had one. After a couple years the relay network went nuts - you'd press one button, and several would trigger. The sequence thing stopped working and just turned them all off/on.

I contacted Carvin and they said, more or less, "too bad - we'll sell you a new one for $30 off".

I've seen inside newer ones, and they've totally redone the logic network. But I'll never buy another Carvin electronic product again.

That sucks.....hope this one lasts longer! Although, I like it enough to where I would probably get another if I got two years out of it.

I play probably 95% through headphones when at home so sometimes I forget the rule when using my power amp and cabs ....... I get to the point where I'm in that tired but happy mellowed out zone after playing through the cabs then 'POP' ..... ballocks ...... instant anxiety :)

Ha, yeah, been there done that!

I think Monster (conditioner/surge protector) does a similar power up sequence although less configurable. I have on on my home theater.

I used to get pops, not too bad, on a particular patch when turning off even though I was turning the output knob to 0 first.
But the problem went away when I increased the output levels inside the patch and now...no pop!

Back
Top Bottom