XL+MFC101+CLR NEOs - overwhelmed at getting started

No problem. Im really keen to hear the CLRs in the flesh, so it win win for both of us. If you've got a laptop you can bring that would be handy as axe edit is the easiest way to learn the functions of the actual unit. Once you understand how that works it make the transition to editing on the actual XL a lot easier. If not, Ill just bring mine. I wont bring my complete rig, theres no point having 3 afx 2's in the room! Shoot me your details and Ill give you a call on Sunday sometime.

Congrats Peter! I know you have been waiting a long time for this moment. Plug in and have fun exploring I would also set aside some time to do some updating with Firmware.

Thanks Sixstring... I appreciate the sentiment...

In one of my threads you will have read how things go wrong for me, well, after waiting since the 18th of August last year to get the NEOs, I got a call saying they had been shipped and were with a road freight courier. Here's what I mean - they lost both NEOs twice in two days and then finally called me and said I would have to now take it up with their investigations team .....

For those of you non-australians this is a company that I then went on line to review their service and was horrified they barely had a one out of 5 stars rating. They have a record of lost items like TVs etc (high value items) and now my precious NEOs .. gone.

Lets just say I deposited myself at their depot and refused to leave (almost closing time) until they first had information (you don't just lose two 20 KG packages) and then physically located my kit. Well, suffice to say, the two packages were left on a pallet one floor below where I was and some "do-gooder" decided to move it from where it was a he was closing the warehouse for the weekend....

See what I mean Moke ?

Good to see that a fellow Aussie is nearby, I am in Sydney ,so to far away.
Have had and still have plenty of good amps but axe fx plus cls s blow that away.
Haven't turned on a amp in 2 yeard

Hey Peter,

Wow... another Axefx in Melbourne - Who would have thought!

Welcome abourd mate - it's gonna be fun.

pAULY

Chris, KKM, Thanks. I am going to try the Axe & IPhone to Mixer and then Mixer main outs (left and right) to each CLR.

Cobbler, not opposed to using the Mixer but Chris was spot on, now more cables (taking care of course to make sure that they are all balanced v unbalanced).

Gary, I am in Mount Waverley, Vic 3149 - wouldn't want to trouble you but if you are close by then perhaps .....

JSNIP

Pics soon

no need for skype :) i have my own streaming site and chat. AxeFxTutorials Chat | AxeFxTutorials.com i have to do some errands this morning, but hopefully i can get to some guitar today.

i hate to say it, but from some of the things you've said in this thread - it HAS to be Mogami, i want everything balanced - i think there is a bit of "get the most expensive thing possible and that will make it work better" mentality going on. :)

for example, balanced isn't "better" than unbalanced. the "un" isn't a bad thing. the iPhone output cable cannot have balanced jacks on the split side... because it's an unbalanced signal. it's the same thing if you use the Unbalanced Outs of the Axe-Fx. it's inherently unbalanced - using a balanced/TRS cable there would not make it better, especially since most mixers or the "next device" is expecting that unbalanced cable. in fact, it could make it worse by not transmitting the signal correctly simply because the wrong cable type is being used.

i'm not saying don't buy good gear. but be careful letting the "it must be the best" thought process block you from simple connections or procedures with the axe or any other device. a $5 Hosa "iPod" cable works just as well as the Mogami equivalent in practice.

hopefully i'll be streaming about 6 hours from now :)

Reactions: Rex
Thanks Chris - you are absolutely right about the "buy the best I can get" syndrome. Rightly or wrongly I was advised (and not being an expert perhaps I have been lead down a particular path and now find myself hostage to it) that one ought to buy the best quality gear to avoid/eliminate gremlins caused by bad EMF related issues, ground loop hum, interference from fluoresence lights and all sorts of other stuff when I had a huge pedal board with about 10 pedals on it. I am now starting to realise that good enough if it works is indeed good enough.

Its 8.02 am in Melbourne and our post came in at 4.27 am so "in 6 hours" means 10.30 am for me. Am going to try to be around.

And.. yes ... I did use my son's iPod cable in the end and it seems to work fine. It was indeed $12 AUD and a HOSA :).....

:) better is better though. But better is not always "correct-er" is what I was trying to say haha.

My errands are taking a bit longer than expected but I'll see what happens. :)

YOU were spot on right. I am grinning from ear to ear and now positively overwhelmed just thinking about the possibilities but shall take it a few steps at a time...

Glad you got it up and working. Congrats! For future reference, if you have even minimal skills with a soldering iron, you can purchase bulk cable and connectors and make your own. I did so with Mogami cable and Neutrik TRS and XLR connections at probably 1/4 the cost of the store bought cables. It's also nice to be able the make them specific lengths for your application.

Have fun with your new toys!

...I was advised...that one ought to buy the best quality gear to avoid/eliminate gremlins...
That's generally true. But as you've discovered, it behooves one to fire up and test one's gear early in the game. That gives you improved confidence and efficiency by letting you identify gremlins instead of firing bullets at the shadows of every gremlin that might exist. :)

Last edited:
Chris, KKM, Thanks. I am going to try the Axe & IPhone to Mixer and then Mixer main outs (left and right) to each CLR.

Cobbler, not opposed to using the Mixer but Chris was spot on, now more cables (taking care of course to make sure that they are all balanced v unbalanced).

Gary, I am in Mount Waverley, Vic 3149 - wouldn't want to trouble you but if you are close by then perhaps .....

Just some context ...
It was the GAS from this forum that caused me to "experiment" to want to go digital.
I got fed up of taking my Tube Rig (2 x 12 Cab + Guitar Head + Pedal Train Pro AND an active additional speaker for backing tracks).

Then I didn't know when to stop so I went ahead (and plagued Tom K) to get some NEOs to Australia.
Got the Axe XL
HAD (??) to get the MFC
Then thought may as well buy decent cables .. so spent hundreds on Mogami 25 Ft XLRs, etc.

As a registered busker in Melbourne ( I busk to raise for children's charities) I needed a NEO (and then thought why not just get 2) for its weight. Then thought I better get some flight cases and spent $1076.61) on two custom made cases for the MFC and AXE (Yes I know, completely and utterly mad and way over the top (as you will see when I post the pics) and nowhere in all of australia could I now find a TRS 1/8" male to dual BALANCED 1/4" split / Y Cable male to hook up the iPhone to the XL anyway ...

Of course Chris is right, it HAS to be the Axe to Mixer to CLRs now ......

sheer madness .. but of course as you all know ... addictive.... the green light is still blinking and calling out to me...

Pics soon

you sir are epic. This is GAS of epic proportion.

Peter, welcome to an amazing world. How do you like your Metropolitan? I have one, too, and love it. I don't use it much these days, but if I were using an amp, that's likely what I'd be using. The Metropolitan power attenuation is cool (though it gives you too much headroom when you slam it with a pedal in my experience...I want the sound compressed to just above the level I have it set to when I hit it with a pedal, like my Fenders do), but the Axe gives a world of tones at a reasonable volume. Not selling the Metropolitan, but like I said, it doesn't see much use.

Mike

Peter, welcome to an amazing world. How do you like your Metropolitan? I have one, too, and love it. I don't use it much these days, but if I were using an amp, that's likely what I'd be using. The Metropolitan power attenuation is cool (though it gives you too much headroom when you slam it with a pedal in my experience...I want the sound compressed to just above the level I have it set to when I hit it with a pedal, like my Fenders do), but the Axe gives a world of tones at a reasonable volume. Not selling the Metropolitan, but like I said, it doesn't see much use.

Mike
Thanks Mikey. I still have my Metropolitan with matching 2 x 12 cab. Simply Phenomenal. In fact I went to Mark Knopfler's recording one of his Albums at the BBC Studios in London many years ago and he was using a Toneking Galaxy (the Metropolitan was not yet out).

I now only have two pedals and a tuner hooked up to the Mets. One is the OKKO Diablo drive pedal and the other a Vahlbruch Delay. Both incredible.

Like you, now hardly used and after a weekend with the XL and CLR NEOs ... unlikely to be used in the near future.

you sir are epic. This is GAS of epic proportion.
!

Thanks Morgan. GAS indeed.

True story ... My wife and I went out to get drapes for our living room. I decided that this was so mundane and mind numbingly boring that I begged to leave and took a walk to a Car Dealership opposite said shopping mall and an hour later walked out having signed up for a new car.

GAS and a lack of impulse control - a deadly combination. Almost a disease. :)

Back
Top Bottom