XL+MFC101+CLR NEOs - overwhelmed at getting started

I finally took delivery of two new CLR NEOs yesterday. I opened the box housing my XL which I bought 7 months ago and hadn't switched on (and yes, many in here reprimanded me at having an Axe FX XL and not plugging it in to get started, even with just headphones - can't help it - OCD !!).

I just went out and got balanced Mogami XLR cables, a Furman power conditioner / sequencer, 5 PIN Midi Cable etc etc and all of the kit is hooked up.

My connections and steps completed so far are:
Step 1 - XLRs from XL Output 1 - one each to each CLR Input 1.
Step 2 - Power cables hooked up from the Furman to each CLR.
Step 3 - MFC 101 hooked up using a balanced XLR from Faslink XL to Faslink MFC 101.
Step 4 - Firmware upgraded on the XLR after downloading Fractal BOT, Sysex Files for firmware 18.04.
Step 5 - Firmware upgraded on the MFC.
Step 6 - Set up the display offsets on XL and MFC to start with 001 (Bassguy) who is Bassguy anyway ??
Step 7 - Downloaded Axe Edit.

I had to go an have a lie down after that lot. !!!

Now I am sitting here staring at the printed XL Manual - 189 Pages. :nightmare:

So that I don't succumb to a nervous breakdown - I have put aside the:
- MIMIC Manual.
- MFC Manual.
- Looper operations for MFC Manual.
- MFC Scenes Manual
- CLR Gain Staging pages.

What I would like to do next is to test out the CLRs by playing some Programme mp3 tracks or just music form my iPhone.

Question: I am now confused as to whether I should just connect a stereo TRS cable 1/8" jack from the iPhone to a left and right 1/4" unbalanced ends into the Input 1 jacks on the back ? Then I need to copy the INPUT 1 from the front to the back through the I/O menu ???
Then go into the soft INPUT 1 Menu and set the input level so as not to clip ? but I understand this does not actually affect the output volume which is affected by the front Output 1 level knob, whilst keeping an eye on ensuring the XL INPUT Clip LED 1 is not "tickled red" (whilst I am slowly going from red faced to a purple hue before I bust a vein) and then making sure I set the gain staging on the CLR so not digital clipping there ... and so far my guitars are handing on the wall and not even plugged in.

56 years old, cranky with nearly $10,000 Australian digital modelling kit and at least two days for me just to hook it all up *&^%$#$% !!

Thoughts please and more to the point help...

So if I connect my iPhone to play backing tracks to INPUT 1 on the rear panel does that mean the Instrument input will stop working and I will only hear the programme material ??

:cry

I finally took delivery of two new CLR NEOs yesterday. I opened the box housing my XL which I bought 7 months ago and hadn't switched on (and yes, many in here reprimanded me at having an Axe FX XL and not plugging it in to get started, even with just headphones - can't help it - OCD !!).

I just went out and got balanced Mogami XLR cables, a Furman power conditioner / sequencer, 5 PIN Midi Cable etc etc and all of the kit is hooked up.

My connections and steps completed so far are:
Step 1 - XLRs from XL Output 1 - one each to each CLR Input 1.
Step 2 - Power cables hooked up from the Furman to each CLR.
Step 3 - MFC 101 hooked up using a balanced XLR from Faslink XL to Faslink MFC 101.
Step 4 - Firmware upgraded on the XLR after downloading Fractal BOT, Sysex Files for firmware 18.04.
Step 5 - Firmware upgraded on the MFC.
Step 6 - Set up the display offsets on XL and MFC to start with 001 (Bassguy) who is Bassguy anyway ??
Step 7 - Downloaded Axe Edit.

I had to go an have a lie down after that lot. !!!

Now I am sitting here staring at the printed XL Manual - 189 Pages. :nightmare:

So that I don't succumb to a nervous breakdown - I have put aside the:
- MIMIC Manual.
- MFC Manual.
- Looper operations for MFC Manual.
- MFC Scenes Manual
- CLR Gain Staging pages.

What I would like to do next is to test out the CLRs by playing some Programme mp3 tracks or just music form my iPhone.

Question: I am now confused as to whether I should just connect a stereo TRS cable 1/8" jack from the iPhone to a left and right 1/4" unbalanced ends into the Input 1 jacks on the back ? Then I need to copy the INPUT 1 from the front to the back through the I/O menu ???
Then go into the soft INPUT 1 Menu and set the input level so as not to clip ? but I understand this does not actually affect the output volume which is affected by the front Output 1 level knob, whilst keeping an eye on ensuring the XL INPUT Clip LED 1 is not "tickled red" (whilst I am slowly going from red faced to a purple hue before I bust a vein) and then making sure I set the gain staging on the CLR so not digital clipping there ... and so far my guitars are handing on the wall and not even plugged in.

56 years old, cranky with nearly $10,000 Australian digital modelling kit and at least two days for me just to hook it all up *&^%$#$% !!

Thoughts please and more to the point help...

So if I connect my iPhone to play backing tracks to INPUT 1 on the rear panel does that mean the Instrument input will stop working and I will only hear the programme material ??

:cry

PS: I also have a Mackie 4 channel mixer with an assortment of cables. If someone says you should route your backing tracks etc through the Mixer and then hook up the CLRs to the Mixer main outs, I shall start to uncontrollably cry !!

You have 2 inputs on your clr,use one for the backing tracks and one for your axe fx

Thanks Waterknox, going to do that now ! So if I understand you correctly, go direct using a stereo (line level) cable from iPhone straight to ONE of the CLR's ? what about both CLRs playing back a stereo signal from the tracks ?

Congrats Peter! I know you have been waiting a long time for this moment. Plug in and have fun exploring I would also set aside some time to do some updating with Firmware.

OCD??? Never mind the fact that you have had the Axe FX ll XL in your possession for 7 months!....But...You've had the printed 'XL' and 'MFC' manuals for 7 months and just now opened them up?

You could have (and should have) read those manuals dozens of times.

You are definitely one strange dude..;) You are going to be the source of some interesting threads:encouragement:

Stereo means a signal to each of the CLRs.

I can help you out in my live chat sometime tomorrow if you are interested. I'm already out the door for my gigs tonight. :) live video streaming too to help you out.

OCD??? Never mind the fact that you have had the Axe FX ll XL in your possession for 7 months!....But...You've had the printed 'XL' and 'MFC' manuals for 7 months and just now opened them up?

You could have (and should have) read those manuals dozens of times.

You are definitely one strange dude..;) You are going to be the source of some interesting threads:encouragement:

Hi Moke, at least you made me laugh. Story of my life - being strange. My wife and kids agree with you. Here's how really OCD - I had the manuals printed in colour, properly stapled and then filed with coloured "chapter" markers !!

I just put down the manuals to reply to you as I was getting double vision reading and re reading the same *&^%$# sentences about inputs, outputs, I/Os soft knobs and hard ones ....

I have however progressed ...

- I just switched on the master switch for the Furman and I have a sequence of 3 delayed lights light up and then progressively saw the Axe XL light up, the MFC came on and both CLRs have their red switches lit up. I am not a complete idiot you know !!

Now a cup of tea and then some pictures of my set up in my music room, then shall figure out how to get my new iPhone synced with my Mac to get the pictures to upload on to this forum. Then a rest.. again.

You see with my tube rig, and pedal board I was up and running in under 2 minutes, but of course limited !!!

Chris, I am going to access some of your tutorials but can honestly say I have not come across any tutorial where what I am trying to do has been done i.e. setting up the AXE XL and CLRS for guitar AND backing tracks ... or am I wrong ?

By the way Moke .. :) I got the dreaded Axe Name Timeout error but sorted it out after 7 hours of trawling forum posts to match midi out channels on the Axe and MFC, etc etc. I am almost a veteran ........

Now I think I need a (Mogami of course) 1/8" TRS Male to 1/4" TS (mono left/right) cable to connect the IPhone to the back of the Input 1 Left and right rear jacks. I shall just leave the tempo light blinking for a quick trip to the DJ Store in Melbourne. Maybe a coupe of beers on the way back.. things always seem simpler after some "hooch".....

I am going to get some sound out of this if it %^$#@&* kills me today :ambivalence:

Why are you so opposed to going through your mixer?

Probably due to the cables he'd have to sort through. But honestly I would suggest it for him. Both axe and iPod to the mixer, mixer to the CLRs in stereo. I'm off to gig 2 of 3 today so no time to detail, but I can help more tomorrow (it's 7pm here now).

Probably due to the cables he'd have to sort through. But honestly I would suggest it for him. Both axe and iPod to the mixer, mixer to the CLRs in stereo. I'm off to gig 2 of 3 today so no time to detail, but I can help more tomorrow (it's 7pm here now).

I completely agree. Much more versatile to go through the mixer IMO. That's why I asked. The cable hook ups are not that difficult.

@peterjakes: Hang in there. Many of us went through the same trepidation at the start. You will be up and running in no time and grinning from ear to ear with your new but not so new rig! :)

Chris, KKM, Thanks. I am going to try the Axe & IPhone to Mixer and then Mixer main outs (left and right) to each CLR.

Cobbler, not opposed to using the Mixer but Chris was spot on, now more cables (taking care of course to make sure that they are all balanced v unbalanced).

Gary, I am in Mount Waverley, Vic 3149 - wouldn't want to trouble you but if you are close by then perhaps .....

Just some context ...
It was the GAS from this forum that caused me to "experiment" to want to go digital.
I got fed up of taking my Tube Rig (2 x 12 Cab + Guitar Head + Pedal Train Pro AND an active additional speaker for backing tracks).

Then I didn't know when to stop so I went ahead (and plagued Tom K) to get some NEOs to Australia.
Got the Axe XL
HAD (??) to get the MFC
Then thought may as well buy decent cables .. so spent hundreds on Mogami 25 Ft XLRs, etc.

As a registered busker in Melbourne ( I busk to raise for children's charities) I needed a NEO (and then thought why not just get 2) for its weight. Then thought I better get some flight cases and spent $1076.61) on two custom made cases for the MFC and AXE (Yes I know, completely and utterly mad and way over the top (as you will see when I post the pics) and nowhere in all of australia could I now find a TRS 1/8" male to dual BALANCED 1/4" split / Y Cable male to hook up the iPhone to the XL anyway ...

Of course Chris is right, it HAS to be the Axe to Mixer to CLRs now ......

sheer madness .. but of course as you all know ... addictive.... the green light is still blinking and calling out to me...

Pics soon

Chris, KKM, Thanks. I am going to try the Axe & IPhone to Mixer and then Mixer main outs (left and right) to each CLR.

Cobbler, not opposed to using the Mixer but Chris was spot on, now more cables (taking care of course to make sure that they are all balanced v unbalanced).

Gary, I am in Mount Waverley, Vic 3149 - wouldn't want to trouble you but if you are close by then perhaps .....

Just some context ...
It was the GAS from this forum that caused me to "experiment" to want to go digital.
I got fed up of taking my Tube Rig (2 x 12 Cab + Guitar Head + Pedal Train Pro AND an active additional speaker for backing tracks).

Then I didn't know when to stop so I went ahead (and plagued Tom K) to get some NEOs to Australia.
Got the Axe XL
HAD (??) to get the MFC
Then thought may as well buy decent cables .. so spent hundreds on Mogami 25 Ft XLRs, etc.

As a registered busker in Melbourne ( I busk to raise for children's charities) I needed a NEO (and then thought why not just get 2) for its weight. Then thought I better get some flight cases and spent $1076.61) on two custom made cases for the MFC and AXE (Yes I know, completely and utterly mad and way over the top (as you will see when I post the pics) and nowhere in all of australia could I now find a TRS 1/8" male to dual BALANCED 1/4" split / Y Cable male to hook up the iPhone to the XL anyway ...

Of course Chris is right, it HAS to be the Axe to Mixer to CLRs now ......

sheer madness .. but of course as you all know ... addictive.... the green light is still blinking and calling out to me...

Pics soon

Im in Longwarry so not exactly around the corner, but if your free this coming Friday night, Im getting together with another mate at the Band Booth in Dandenong where we both bring our axe fx rigs. Im slowly teaching him how to use and program it. There might be room for another rig if you want to come along and learn some stuff! I normally bring a big fold up table to setup the axe fx and laptop. Let me know if your keen, Ill need to book the bigger room if so. We just divide the $50 room booking between whoevers there. I can give you a crash course in Axe edit and we'll get a dozen or so tones dialled in and saved for you while your learning what everything does.

As for music playback, why not just use your PC or Mac assuming you have some music on there. USB cable to the XL and your done.

Im in Longwarry so not exactly around the corner, but if your free this coming Friday night, Im getting together with another mate at the Band Booth in Dandenong where we both bring our axe fx rigs. Im slowly teaching him how to use and program it. There might be room for another rig if you want to come along and learn some stuff! I normally bring a big fold up table to setup the axe fx and laptop. Let me know if your keen, Ill need to book the bigger room if so. We just divide the $50 room booking between whoevers there. I can give you a crash course in Axe edit and we'll get a dozen or so tones dialled in and saved for you while your learning what everything does.

As for music playback, why not just use your PC or Mac assuming you have some music on there. USB cable to the XL and your done.

Thanks Gary, a very generous and kind offer. I will take you up on it. No worries about the room costs etc. Will send you a PM with my contact details etc.

OK, so finally, here's a crappy picture taken 15 minutes ago.

attachment.php

I have sound !
My backing tracks and programme material sound absolutely amazing (and they are not mastered tracks).
All cables (and Chris KKM was right I had to sort through my garage and cobbled together a suite of guitar cables (unbalanced TS 1/4" jacks), XLR and a stereo cheap hook up from the iPhone to the Mixer (its only a small Mackie 4 channel) ....

I have not set up any gain staging yet.
I have not tickled any red clipping lights .. yet .. in the Axe or indeed the CLRs. I did make sure I had my iPhone volume on to about 40% and slowly one click at a time took the input level and master level on the CLRs up.

Now you all need to know (as Moke put it.. one weird dude) is that you can assume that anything that could possibly go wrong WILL go wrong when it comes to me !!

But .. not this time...

The CLR's have blown me away with their output - tone, clarity, dispersion etc etc.
The Axe further blew me away when I selected a random number of presets ....
I was jamming to my tracks in about 7 minutes...

To add context to the above three statements, when it comes to sound, I have been spoiled and have been fortunate to experience and currently have really high end kit (KRELL previously and currently Bang & Olufsen) and I can honestly say, whatever Jay Mitchell has done, he is the man ! Period ! Period !

What can I say further .. except thanks for your kind offers and tips.

Thanks especially to Gary for the intended Axe local meet on Friday. I would be mad not to go to it.

And if anyone else in Melbourne or from inter state want to audition the Axe XL mated to CLR NEOs PM me and you are more than welcome to do so at my home.

Attachments

• Rig.jpg
    Rig.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 148
Stereo means a signal to each of the CLRs.

I can help you out in my live chat sometime tomorrow if you are interested. I'm already out the door for my gigs tonight. :) live video streaming too to help you out.

Thanks Chris. I would love to take you up too. I hope the streaming actually works from my side down under (Australia). I shall try to blow the cobwebs off my Skype account tonight.

I completely agree. Much more versatile to go through the mixer IMO. That's why I asked. The cable hook ups are not that difficult.

@peterjakes: Hang in there. Many of us went through the same trepidation at the start. You will be up and running in no time and grinning from ear to ear with your new but not so new rig! :)

YOU were spot on right. I am grinning from ear to ear and now positively overwhelmed just thinking about the possibilities but shall take it a few steps at a time...

Back
Top Bottom