XL + GT1000FX + FR212 = Awesomeness!!!

Prysma

Let me start saying that I'm a fan of the Fractal gear and always thought it sounded great when recording or via the headphones. Unfortunately I could not get a good sound out of the different Marshall 4x12 cabs I have. I tweaked the FX II a little, but since I don't have much time or patience to keep messing with the thing, I ended up not getting anywhere close to my real amps and ended up selling the Fractal gear. :eek:

But I missed all the cool stuff the FX offers, how easy it is when recording and the consistent sounds you get. Plus, I always loved the idea of the community exchanging tech tips/patches and the continuous support (M@) and updates (Cliff and team) puts out.

So this time around, I got the XL/MFC along with a pair of Matrix FR212 cabs. Last night, I took the setup to our rehearsal, and........ wow!!!!! Finally! What an amazing sound. All the sounds I'd listen on the headphones I can finally hear live. No more muddiness, boring sounds. The FR212 is killer! What an amazing cab. The sound pressure levels it can reach defy all belief, and I was super pleased with the top end clarity. The guitar sounds cut thru the band, crispy clear with a ton of bottom end! The room was filled with awesomeness!:D

I always played my Marshalls/VHT/EVH III with a pair of 4x12 (W/D/W) and wanted the Fractal setup to have the same big, no, huge sound. Now it's there! The folks from Matrix (Robin and John) were super cool with my questions and shipped the pair to my home in CT in 3 days. I don't have any experience with other FRFR cabs, but I can't think of anything that I'd want more from a cab than what I have now with the FR212s. To me, the FRFR setup makes total sense when using the FX-II (the cab blocks are such a huge part of the sound it produces). You plug a FX-II/Matrix amp and a lot of the default patches sound great right of the bat. You can tweak from there, but the baseline is there for you!

Kudos to the Fractal and the Matrix teams.

Rock and Roll!

L

You & i both!!! I've yet to use my FR212 in a live situation but i've only gotten the chance to practice with my guitarist and his Randall 4x12 in my room at room level volume. It's a bit tough getting the sound i want especially when there is so much low end (i typically use dropped tunings & only having one cab). I too have never had any experience with any other FRFR cab But regardless, this exact setup is what i have and i'm hoping i can say after today "i won't be needing my Mesa 4x12 cab anymore." lol

Hi
I too have an FR212 bought it about a month after it was released.

Went down to the Matrix studio and tried out all the gear, came away with a GT800 and the FR212, pure awesomeness when combined with the FXII

rock n roll dude

G \../

Same here. I have the same setup, and now after more than a year, i have a lot of dust on my tube amp and regular cabs. Axe Fx II, Matrix Gt1000 and 212 FRFR ( and the MFC of course) are all I need now for a lot of different type Of Music. Thanks to Fractal and Matrix

Inviato da mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

I just tried the Atomic clr this week and it has not even come close to getting me where my labored upon axe fx presets need to be with an frfr cab so thank you for your review Prysma, I ordered the FR212 so I can't wait to try it. When you play with your band, is it hard to mic this cab? I am used to my sm57 which I have used for years with my tube amps and cabs. Thanks!

Last edited:
I just tried the Atomic clr this week and it has not even come close to getting me where my labored upon axe fx presets need to be with an frfr cab so thank your review Prysma, I ordered the FR212 so I can't wait to try it. When you play with your band, is it hard to mic this cab? I am used to my sm57 which I have used for years with my tube amps and cabs. Thanks!
were you trying to mic the CLR? the CLR is a very faithful representation of what comes out of the Axe, so the if there's that big of an issue it's not the CLR.

were you trying to mic the CLR? the CLR is a very faithful representation of what comes out of the Axe, so the if there's that big of an issue it's not the CLR.

No I have not tried to mic the clr cab. So those of you using the Fr212 cab, and connecting the Axe Fx to FOH and/or mixer, I guess you just like the cab for the backline cab effect and stage volume? If you don't mind could you share some more about how you use this cab and run direct out? Thanks!!

I've heard that the FR212 has a good low end and that videos don't really do it justice because you can't really hear it. Does the FR212 have a similar low end to a guitar cab? Seems like it would since it is good size and has ample depth, etc.

The FR212 has ow end/feel of a traditional cab and then some. The videos don't show the feel but it is there. Might have to do a video and rattle some empties of the top of the cab :)

Back
Top Bottom