XL+ Becoming Obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, iaresee - although it could be argued perhaps about four months TOO early in this case, wouldn’t you agree?

Since you decided to take it upon yourself to School my apparently lame ass, maybe an even better Lesson here is to always do your homework BEFORE making your purchase and/or don’t expect a manufacturer with whom you don’t have a professional relationship to have a hyperactive sense of ethical business practices.

“You can shear a sheep every year, but you can only slaughter it one time.”
My Grandfather

Sure, iaresee - although it could be argued perhaps about four months TOO early in this case, wouldn’t you agree?

Since you decided to take it upon yourself to School my apparently lame ass, maybe an even better Lesson here is to always do your homework BEFORE making your purchase and/or don’t expect a manufacturer with whom you don’t have a professional relationship to have a hyperactive sense of ethical business practices.

My Grandfather
Low on humor tonight, I guess?

Low on humor tonight, I guess?
Yes, you’re probably not mostly wrong: Reverb says about $700 low at the moment. Not a fortune, but it’s still enough to buy two really nice “guaranteed to have my Smokin’ Red-Hot Goddess wife wearing nothing but an Hermés scarf and a smile” dinners - and at my age those aren’t getting any cheaper.

“Don’t poke a hornet’s nest when he’s down”, or something like that.

I bought my XL+ in October 2017 at full price with the MFC101 Mk3. I'll upgrade to the Axe FX3 at some point but not until the technologies diverge so much that the XL+ is lagging way behind tone wise. I think there will be a few firmware updates before the Axe FX3 starts to really show it's true muscle

If i do buy it I will get a black Friday deal now I know there are savings to be made

Beside I'm hoping that a 2U version of the Axe 3 cones out with a flip out screen as the current version would mean going up from 6u to 8u or moving my furman to the back of the rack.

Anyway I live in hope FAS won't abandon development on the II as I think it still has a long way to go and a lot to offer ......

The fact that there is no official word from Fractal "Yes, the updates for Axe FX2 will continue while still possible", worries me a bit.

If history shows us anything, updates for the "Ultra" went out like a light pretty much when the Axe FX II came out. Not that I really cared, I was happy to buy the II, as I'm already anticipating III.

However, the fact is; as with my Ultra, if my II never got another update it will still sound killer 10 years from now. So, I wouldn't worry too much, the unit isn't gonna rot. LOL

If history shows us anything, updates for the "Ultra" went out like a light pretty much when the Axe FX II came out. Not that I really cared, I was happy to buy the II, as I'm already anticipating III.

However, the fact is; as with my Ultra, if my II never got another update it will still sound killer 10 years from now. So, I wouldn't worry too much, the unit isn't gonna rot. LOL
It sounds good, sure, but the ever evolving and improving nature of it is a big part of the experience... :)

Too true. There are some among us (like me) who paid full-pop on 9/25/17, only to see a $100 price reduction 26 days later (which FAS Sales offered to soften with a $50 FAS credit - nice enough) and THEN another $500 (I think) White Christmas drop - and now the AxeFXIII for what I paid for my XL+ a mere 4 months ago. Not the first time during my 40+ years in Pro Audio that I’ve wound up with the short straw - more often than not when I didn’t have the backdoor connections to buy wholesale.

All in all, still a pretty painful financial hit - although the chances of me EVER needing more than an XL+ are remote. Then again...

Count yourself lucky, I paid full whack in April last year from G66 at the equivalent of over $3000 U.S. In fact, G66 are still advertising the XL+ for the equivalent of $2864 U.S to the UK market (at todays exchange rate).

My Grandfather
Hey touch I just checked reverb for you and one sold yesterday for 1700. Recent sales have been less but it looks like the upgrade could be had for about a grand.

I am spending the next few weeks with my new xl+ trying to evaluate that question. Is it worth a $1000 to upgrade.

Given the previous pricing of the II was 3000 and the 3 would of attracted buyers at a higher price I am looking at it through the glass half full lense.

To extend the logic you also have the option of waiting for the 3 xl or whatever the next iteration is. This may cost more sure but you will have more information hence more certainty.

As an XL user, of course I would love to see continued updates. But in reality, I realize that is not possible and the company must move forward and concentrate on new "stuff". So if FAS never came out with another update for the XL, would I be upset? Hell no - I think I paid 2300 bucks for it around 3-4 years ago. I am more than happy with the sound of it and its capabilities - the effects alone are worth more that 2300 now.
I don't understand this thing now that when people buy something, they expect the company to support it forever. So if I pay $3500 for a Freidman BE50 ( head only btw). When they come out with a new model, should they being sending me the updated one for free ? Buying back the one I have because its outdated? When PRS came out with the 24-08 this year, do I expect them to send me the extra switch and pickups because I have an older model? Does Dell or Apple send me a free computer when the one I bought a month ago is already outdated? I don't know - maybe its a millennial thing and I'm turning in to an old codger. Everyone gets a trophy...

I'd be surprised if there's any substantial updates to the II - probably just occasional bug fixes

Does Dell or Apple send me a free computer when the one I bought a month ago is already outdated?

I have no Dell experience, but YES - Apple has a 90-day “take back and replace” policy to cover just this situation. When faced with officially announcing “new models to be released” - and a corresponding drop in sales - Apple determined that they came out waay ahead by simply keeping quiet and then exchanging a recently-purchased device for the newer version during a 90 day grace period. It’s not common knowledge nor is it publicized, but it IS there for the asking.

Does it resolve all issues (like a purchase that was just outside the grace period) - of course not. But those customers to whom it was important usually wound up super-happy and a great customer remained exactly that - and every smart business knows how important THAT is.

(FWIW - takebacks end up as either repair parts or scholastic/charity donations).

Obviously FAS ain’t Apple, but it’s clear that it IS possible to anticipate this situation and consider rolling the cost of such a program into the new product release Business Plan...

I'd be surprised if there's any substantial updates to the II - probably just occasional bug fixes
It amazes me all the negativity posts and feelings of abandonment most are expressing.:eek: Fractal's history for support will dictate the future of the XL+. Look at how long the older units were supported. Do you think they really wanted to support those older units that long? Line6 and TC Electronics are always screwing their customers, releasing new product all the time. Line6 even started rumors that Fractal stole the design of the HELIX. Well I tested one (FYI: it's still a POD).
In the reality of retail sales, the manufacturer is only responsible for the product for the length of the warranty, unless there is a blatant factory defect. I would say Fractal's track records speaks for itself. Who in here is on their 3rd or 4th flat screen TV or PC:confused::rolleyes:

Obviously FAS ain’t Apple, but it’s clear that it IS possible to anticipate this situation and consider rolling the cost of such a program into the new product release Business Plan...
Or you can start a reduced price sale, calling it anything you want, end of year, Christmas, clearance, etc.

That's what I'm recalling as well. That's why I think its going to be phased out soon.

Also I think we have to give some time for the new unit to gain some momentum. I can imagine that FAS team is chomping on the bit to add in updates, presets, bug fixes to the new flagship. We can only hope that a few of these updates find their way to the II, XL+ and Ax8.
But at some point we all have to understand that eventually there won’t be updates to the older devices.
Hopefully later rather than sooner.
In this case though we hope the dreaded “soon” is a year or more away...
I also know I’d have no trouble selling my Ax8 for decent $$ even once the Ax8 II comes along or be content with the current awesome sauce I have now.

Seeing a fairly large price decrease on the XL+ recently was a very strong indication that a new product was coming out....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom