• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

XL+ and DI box Question

Chris S.

Im wanting to recording both wet and dry tracks so I can reamp later if I need to. I just picked up a Countryman Type 85, assuming that I could split the signal from my guitar and record both tracks this way.. but I don’t think I did my homework, and I need help.

My signal chain, without the DI box is as follows: Guitar > Axe FX > Scarlett 2i4 USB interface > PC > Studio Monitors.

I don’t want to fry my Axe or anything by connecting this the wrong way. I should’ve done my research first. How should I connect everything to record both wet and dry tracks? Do I even need the DI box?

Please help.

chris

Legend!
this DI box has a feature where you can plug in the speaker output of a real guitar amplifier and change that to an XLR output. you aren't using a real amp, so you don't need this feature.

you could also send your guitar to the di box, then the XLR signal to your interface, and the Amp return (1/4" output) to your Axe. this won't blow anything up.

but you can also do this without the DI:

turn on Output 2 Echo to "Input 1" - it's in the I/O Audio menu. this will send a dry copy of your guitar to Output 2 of the Axe.

or you can use the USB interface of the Axe itself and record USB channel 1&2 with all the effects, and USB channel 3 will be the dry input. you'll set these inputs up in your DAW.

Last edited:

Chris S.

this DI box has a feature where you can plug in the speaker output of a real guitar amplifier and change that to an XLR output. you aren't using a real amp, so you don't need this feature.

you could also send your guitar to the di box, then the XLR signal to your interface, and the Amp return (1/4" output) to your Axe. this won't blow anything up.

but you can also do this without the DI:

turn on Output 2 Echo to "Input 1" - it's in the I/O Audio menu. this will send a dry copy of your guitar to Output 2 of the Axe.

or you can use the USB interface of the Axe itself and record USB channel 1&2 with all the effects, and USB channel 3 will be the dry input. you'll set these inputs up in your DAW.

Thanks a ton, I wish i had thought of this before I bought the countryman. The Axe is more capable than what I thought.

Another quick question, would using an XLR output from the Axe FX into my interface change the sound at all? I usually only use a single 1/4” but wondering if so can make this sound a little more dynamic and natural

Top Bottom