Xitone Vs CLR crucial deciding factors - piano,bass

VanDeath

Hi Friends.

After reading many , many posts on these two wedges, it seems clear that they are both great options for Guitarists. Similar prices too.

However I cannot find much info on whether one is more favourable for a) Bass and b) Piano playing. As these are important for me too, particularly piano (as I have always found it hard to be satisfied with piano tone), can anyone recommend one over the other for this?

I have seen good reports for the CLR, but could find little on the xitone.

All help much appreciated, sorry if this is up somewhere already, I did look for ages!

Thanks
Ben

I too would like to hear about this. I would also like to hear how well CLR and the other FRFRs do with vocals and classical guitar.

I use the CLRs in my rehearsal studio, recorded drums, keyboards (piano, organ), vocals, bass, acoustic and electric guitar, the CLRs were great for monitoring, double-checking the mix against various other studio monitors. And they are up to every task, doing very well. Can´t say anything about the Xitones though.

CLR is great if you can get one. Good speaker works with everything, the high mids are critical with guitar tones.

I have 2 CLR's . I sometimes use one of mine for guitar and the other for a vocal/band mix monitor, The most clean, clear, and detailed mix I've ever had on stage ! I have no experience with the Xitones nor have I heard one live.

I did a shoot out once with the CLR next to the Xitone. Long story short- I bought the CLR. I think the CLR is great for piano. It's not going to deliver the same punch as a proper bass cabinet for bass. But it doesn't sound bad for bass. I just always end up using my 1x15 bass combo when I play bass. Hope this helps.

I did a shoot out once with the CLR next to the Xitone. Long story short- I bought the CLR. I think the CLR is great for piano. It's not going to deliver the same punch as a proper bass cabinet for bass. But it doesn't sound bad for bass. I just always end up using my 1x15 bass combo when I play bass. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback all. Pilgrim - when you did the shootout was it mainly for guitar? Just wondered if you played piano and bass on the xitone too?

Thanks again

... info on whether one is more favourable for a) Bass and b) Piano playing. As these are important for me too, particularly piano (as I have always found it hard to be satisfied with piano tone), can anyone recommend one over the other for this?
May I suggest a 3rd option, since keyboards and bass are important to you. The AccuGroove Espresso/Wedge.

Quotes Regarding keyboards:
Keyboard Magazine "The Ultimate Dream Rig" (2 Espressos)
Ron Walters Jr. "The most accurate keyboard speakers I've ever heard. They sound like studio monitors."

Quotes regarding bass:
"This cabinet is the Greatest thing in the history of life!" Steve Rodby, bass, co-producer - Pat Metheny
Keith Horne

Quote regarding guitar:
Ede Wright.jpg
Glen Alvelais from Testament

AccuGroove, Bass cabs, FRFR cabs

Thanks for the 3rd option. I've contacted all three companies and trying to decide. My heart says xitone but my head says clr. Accugroove is a dark horse now though. I think if I knew I'd be happy with the xitones piano id go for that, but there's just no info out there, where as clr seems a sure thing there, so I think I know that's the logical decision , even though I would quite like a turquoise mesh on a xitone! Priorities, I know...

Any info still very welcome, thanks for the help so far!

Ben

Thanks for the feedback all. Pilgrim - when you did the shootout was it mainly for guitar? Just wondered if you played piano and bass on the xitone too?

Thanks again

Good point. No, I didn't try bass or keyboard at all with the Xitone. The decision was clear for me after hearing it on the guitar next to the CLR.

Agreed. It doesn't have the same low frequency punch as my nearfields, but is very good for all other monitoring duties.

EDIT: What this means is that at stage volume it doesn't get rumbly.

Last edited:
I use my XiTone for bass as well as guitar... It doesn't get "flubby" at stage volume! I couldn't adore my XiTone 212 can more than I currently do and I playa a ton.. My acoustic band FIASCO as a lead acoustic guitarist in which I use a ring modulator for bass tones. Crystal clear.
My band SUCTION is a hard rock Seattle band that plays in drop C# all day long with same octave setting. Crystal clear.
I have a 5string Music Man bass in use for fill in bass gigs. Same setup. Crystal clear..
No piano yet!

You're sitting in a good spot. All of your options are wins. I say take the plunge and get a custom cab from Mick asap... You can't be disappointed. GL!!

My 2 cents:

I've got a pair of CLR active wedges. IMHO the best, clearest, flattest, most even (dispersion) sound reinforcement cabinets I've ever owned (30 yrs playing bass, 20+ years providing live sound systems and/or live mixing). I'm predominantly a bassist, but since I often need to provide small format PA and supplemental monitors (vocals, etc) I will often turn to the CLRs for these duties, and they are excellent. For creating modeled tones on any instrument (guitar or bass), they are my baseline against which all others are measured. I also think they are a great value for the $$$. (I do wish Atomic made an extended bass version of the CLR!)

If you're looking for very high quality, and ear-shattering volume is a secondary consideration - especially with respect to the lowest frequencies of bass instruments - then I think the CLR is a great choice.

I also believe that the CLR, by itself, is not intended to (or designed to) overpower you in the sub region below 80hz at high volume levels, though it can be used effectively as a bass cabinet (i've used it that way many times). Personally, I've had better luck with 15" coaxial designs for bass guitar (I do wish Atomic made an extended bass version of the CLR!).

Thus, if you are looking to use a single CLR active in the context of a very loud gig (loud stage/drummer), the CLR can keep up...to a point...and then it may falter due to the demands of high output in the region below 80hz. (My experience on bass only, and YMMV if using a keyboard instrument. Of course, I've also been told that I play too f*cking loud on more than one occasion. LOL.) Then you can engage the on-board hi pass filters, but at the expense of the low note fundamentals and 1st harmonics, which may not be very fulfilling as a performer. Perhaps the passive CLR might be different with respect to low frequency "flub" at high volumes, where a different amp & processor may allow for more flexibility in maximizing the system for bass instrument use. I've not had the chance to audition the CLR passive and hear this for myself. I prefer the compact all-in-one speakers, whenever possible.

Xitone, Barefaced, fEARful, Accugroove and others provide similar "small shop" offerings, but I've not had the chance to audition any of these cabinets, and from what I can tell, they all sound like very solid and good sounding cabinets.

Thanks a lot all. Really appreciate the help. I went with CLR in the end because it just has so many recommendations. It's incredible. Never ever had sound this good. I already want another cab though......for full stereo Immenseness.

I have a pair of CLR's (pre neo) and never fully appreciated them until running my yamaha synth through them. The sound is huge and beautiful. Just feels clear and balanced. I'm a hobbyist mind you so take it as you will...

Back
Top Bottom