Xitone or asm-12?

hey all this question is for those who have tried both. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on getting one of the two. I've seen good things in here about both but was wondering which do most prefer of the two. I play more metal than anything else but not always. I'm building my digital rig slowly but surely. Just looking for opinions! Nothing worse than spending cash on something I can't try out and then hate it.

hey all this question is for those who have tried both. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on getting one of the two. I've seen good things in here about both but was wondering which do most prefer of the two. I play more metal than anything else but not always. I'm building my digital rig slowly but surely. Just looking for opinions! Nothing worse than spending cash on something I can't try out and then hate it.
Todd Bishop has all three, maybe he'll see your post and give you his opinion. I have the Atomic CLR'S and the Friedmans and love them.I've been considering the Xitones for some time now but I've spent too much money on gear lately so I'll probably wait until my card cools off before I get them.

Todd Bishop has all three, maybe he'll see your post and give you his opinion. I have the Atomic CLR'S and the Friedmans and love them.I've been considering the Xitones for some time now but I've spent too much money on gear lately so I'll probably wait until my card cools off before I get them.
Thanks man!

Not really a world of difference between them. CLR actually works a little better for really low tuned stuff from what I can tell playing my bass through them. ASM got a little flabby, but probably fine for guitar stuff I'm guessing though I don't tune lower than D so can't say for certain.

I'd say the biggest factor should be if your looking for home/rehersal or something for gigging.

The Xitone, or CLR, both are way more durable than the ASM, and also easier to move. The ASM looks great, but its finish is really prone to scratches/dents, and its also far unwieldy to try to move, not just being heavier, but larger and without a handle.

Xitone will hold up great gig after gig, ASM will start to really look beat up because you as much as look at it wrong and the tolex scuffs.

For gigging I don't think there is a better choice than Xitone. They are super durable and sound great. No experience with ASM...

It is interesting that @lqdsnddist mentions ASM being easily scuffed but not CLR. Almost every CLR I have ever seen for sale used had really munged up corners obviously visible in the pics.

For gigging I don't think there is a better choice than Xitone. They are super durable and sound great. No experience with ASM...

It is interesting that @lqdsnddist mentions ASM being easily scuffed but not CLR. Almost every CLR I have ever seen for sale used had really munged up corners obviously visible in the pics.
The CLR does scuff very easy but the wood is hard. The ASM not only scuffs easy but the wood is soft and dents very easy.

The Xitone is a near indestructible truck bed liner-like coating. Really hard and durable.

The CLR has a painted hardwood cabinet. Hit it hard enough and it can dent, but mine have held up pretty well overall. I like to put a foot up on it and haven't had the paint wear any.

The ASM has a softer wood, and a softer tolex-like material wrapped around it. It will rip/tear pretty easily, though it does look stylish. I would wipe mine down with some Armoral protecting used for car interiors and it kept it really nice and shiny looking. Looks as good as a guitar cabinet/wedge can look sitting in the room, but won't keep those looks up after a bunch of load in/outs, nor is it something I'd put my boot up on.

I can't speak for the other manufacturers . But my experience with Xitone has been awesome . Had a passive wedge built for me about 2 years or so ago. Just recently ordered a second one to match my original . Received it yesterday, as others have said its built like a tank . I am a very satisfied customer . They sound excellent to my ears . Before them I was using some passive EV-SX300's ?? . Or a QSC powered speaker . This is far superior .

I can't speak for the other manufacturers . But my experience with Xitone has been awesome . Had a passive wedge built for me about 2 years or so ago. Just recently ordered a second one to match my original . Received it yesterday, as others have said its built like a tank . I am a very satisfied customer . They sound excellent to my ears . Before them I was using some passive EV-SX300's ?? . Or a QSC powered speaker . This is far superior .
Are you running through a matrix for your passive wedge? I was thinking about the active version.

The ASM-12 is an excellent sounding speaker..with outstanding build quality.

Never tried the XiTone, but hear only good things about them. Their customer service seems to be top notch, and they answer emails.

I am set to receive the very 1st light weight powered Xitone monitor prototype later this week.
Mic built this with a few pounds shaved off the cab and he used a different driver to save weight as well. Same tone quality and under 30lbs -stay tuned!

Back
Top Bottom