XiTone & Matrix GT800FX

Genghis

Power User
Hi all. Just completed my jamming rig. Been an Axe-FX users since the days of the Ultra (FW 4 or 5) and used it for mostly recording. Now I'm using the Axe-FX II MFC-101 and have just completed my rig for doing some live jamming and felt compelled to make a quick (rough) video.

I picked up a Matrix GT800FX several months ago and tried it with regular guitar cabs for a bit. Wasn't bad, but it didn't really cut it. Someone posted a XiTone cab in the classified forum and I grabbed it. Really liked it, so much that I ordered another to go with it, this time a wedge. The day before my wedge was supposed to ship, I saw another post with a XiTone with red grill and handle, and thought it looked pretty awesome. I was just in time to upgrade to the red so I went for it. Mick was great to deal with and I really love the way the setup sounds. I think the wedge is just a little better than the cabinet, which is an earlier model that is slightly larger than the new one. Together they are close enough that they give a great sound in stereo. For jamming with others I'll probably set it up with the more traditional cab behind me and the wedge in front.

This short video is just a simple shot of the new wedge with my noodling. It's shot with a Canon SLR and a Rode camera mounted mic at fairly low volumes, but it didn't turn out too bad. Any louder would have peaked the mic. Doesn't really give justice to what you hear in the room, but it's not bad. Patch is an SLO100 patch.

that sounds pretty awesome to me :)
can you record one of the Recto patches? this sounds very "regular guitar cab-ish" to me

Thanks man. I'm really digging this setup. I highly recommend the XiTone cabs and can't wait to do some jamming with others with this rig. I don't use the factory patches, but I've got a couple of Recto patches with FW10 that I like better than I did in previous versions, so in the next couple of days I'll try to get something up. Here is one with the FAS Modern (I've always liked that model a little better than the Rectos):

I've got the same cab as you, but with the standard black grill. Love my XiTone wedge!

"I don't always use FRFR... but when I do... I prefer to rock it with XiTone." :mrgreen

Hi all. Just completed my jamming rig. Been an Axe-FX users since the days of the Ultra (FW 4 or 5) and used it for mostly recording. Now I'm using the Axe-FX II MFC-101 and have just completed my rig for doing some live jamming and felt compelled to make a quick (rough) video.

I picked up a Matrix GT800FX several months ago and tried it with regular guitar cabs for a bit. Wasn't bad, but it didn't really cut it. Someone posted a XiTone cab in the classified forum and I grabbed it. Really liked it, so much that I ordered another to go with it, this time a wedge. The day before my wedge was supposed to ship, I saw another post with a XiTone with red grill and handle, and thought it looked pretty awesome. I was just in time to upgrade to the red so I went for it. Mick was great to deal with and I really love the way the setup sounds. I think the wedge is just a little better than the cabinet, which is an earlier model that is slightly larger than the new one. Together they are close enough that they give a great sound in stereo. For jamming with others I'll probably set it up with the more traditional cab behind me and the wedge in front.

This short video is just a simple shot of the new wedge with my noodling. It's shot with a Canon SLR and a Rode camera mounted mic at fairly low volumes, but it didn't turn out too bad. Any louder would have peaked the mic. Doesn't really give justice to what you hear in the room, but it's not bad. Patch is an SLO100 patch.

Thanks for your kind words Genghis! I am glad you like the cab! Excellent playing too!

that sounds pretty awesome to me :)
can you record one of the Recto patches? this sounds very "regular guitar cab-ish" to me

Thanks kmanick!

Thanks man. I'm really digging this setup. I highly recommend the XiTone cabs and can't wait to do some jamming with others with this rig. I don't use the factory patches, but I've got a couple of Recto patches with FW10 that I like better than I did in previous versions, so in the next couple of days I'll try to get something up. Here is one with the FAS Modern (I've always liked that model a little better than the Rectos)

Nice work! Thanks again!

sounds pretty damn good to me!

Thanks LVC!

Sounds good!!! \m/ \m/

Thanks pjrake!

I've got the same cab as you, but with the standard black grill. Love my XiTone wedge!

"I don't always use FRFR... but when I do... I prefer to rock it with XiTone." :mrgreen

Thanks Thomas-Hawk! I might have to steal that last line BTW!

More clips!!! :) You got me curious now. I have a Matrix GT1000FX and wondering what one of those little things can do.

Thanks! I'll try and find time to set up a couple of mics and do some audio only clips and see how they turn out. Work is getting in the way of my play time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Forum Runner

Hmmmm I wonder how a pair of passives would sound with the VHT 2/50/2 driving them would sound?
anyone try one of these with a tube power amp?

I use a XiTone x24 (second one built!) and a first gen XiTone wedge with a VHT 2:90:2 tube power amp and it absolutely kills! I've been gigging this rig for about a year solid with no issues. The wedges can definitely take all the VHT has to throw at it with no problems. Great FRFR rig.

Sounds good.

Just wondering, do you think this would be enough to use as backline for small pub gigs? I've been looking at different options for my rig to save me carrying a guitar cab with me. Our current PA isn't really any good to send the Axe direct to FOH.

I've got a Tannoy cab with the same speaker so was wondering if I could gig with it.

Just checking back to see if any clips were produced?
Well, I did 4 audio only clips, but I'm not really satisfied with the way they were miked up. The Hi-gain Plexi clip sounds OK, but the Recto clip and the Badger clip are a little bright sounding. Probably aimed the mic a little too much at the tweeter in the middle. I'm being picky because I want to try to represent what they sound like in the room and these aren't as good as I hoped for. Here they are anyway, but remember my disclaimer. Might try again tomorrow with a little better mic placement.

Forgot to post what the clips are:
1 - Badger 30
2 - Dumble
3 - Plexi 100
4 - Recto Modern

Last edited:
Great tone man!

when Galo plays it is always a "Santas Pelotas De Caca" Moment
19b1f313.gif

Back
Top Bottom