XiTone GRFR Active Cab Questions for other XiTone cab owners

DFauvre

Inspired
Just got two XiTone GRFR active cabs to use with my Fractal Axe FX III. I would greatly appreciate other owners responding to the following questions. I've emailed a lot with the XiTone owner, Mick, he seems like a good guy and over all, with only two days of testing, they are superior to my 4 year old, previous generation, Atomic Active cabs.

1. There is literally nothing anywhere on either cab that shows that they were made by XiTone, the model, the date of manufacture, or a serial number. I've asked Mick about this and can't seem to get a straight answer. I've purchased at least $50,000 worth of high end gear in the last four years. And not a single piece of gear I've ever purchased did not have at minimum the name of the company that made it, the model, and often the date of manufacture and a serial number. Did your XiTone cabs have any of the above information printed anywhere on the cab?

2. I mostly use rock or metal presets When I do, as soon as the guitar is live, there is terrible and instant squealing feedback from both cabs. I've tried all the DSP settings and mic and line input. Doesn't make any difference. Do your cabs do this? It's very annoying. Mick, the XiTone owner does not seem to know why this is happening.

3. How would anyone here who owns XiTone cabs and how as ALSO OWNED other cabs by Atomic or another FRFR cab manufacturer compare the XiTone GRFR cab to the other cabs by other manufacturers?

Thanks!
David

Did you really need a 2nd thread on this? Seems like most of this was in your other thread.

Just FYI, I have 3 passive Xitone FRFR wedges - 2 I bought used, 1 brand new. None has any badges or markings of any sort... Even on the switches.

Mic is a great guy to deal with and super helpful. I never had any issues dealing with him in the past.

I'm curious, you don't own the same cabs, and so you can't answer my questions, but you apparently have the time to criticize me for posting about this apparently in your opinion more than is necessary, why is that necessary? Don't you have something better to do?

Because I read the forum regularly and you already have a post for the same topic. That is generally considered bad form.

I have similar cabs from Xitone so I offered input that I thought could be helpful to your situation.

Apparently you don't want that input. Feel free to ignore me...

I also have passive XiTones and have been fortunate enough to try many of Mick's cabs (passive and active).

1) Most I've seen are not badged...never really noticed or thought about it until your mention. XiTone cabs are recognizable and known well enough in the guitar community that it doesn't matter.
2) I used to own the old Atomic cabs, and if your presets were created on them...then your presets need to be tweaked or completely recreated. Those old Atomics were far from flat, and were very colored (IMO). XiTone (regardless of the model) is going to be different than the Atomic. If it's squealing, you likely have too much high end (or at least a specific frequency).

I would suggest starting a fresh patch - Amp->Cab - and just seeing how that works.

Another option is posting your preset that is squealing and having others try it. People are generally willing to try it on their speakers and see if they get the same squealing. And if so, they can usually give advice on why.
If you go that route, I'd suggest being cordial. People like @unix-guy are the ones who are here trying to help people....

There is literally nothing anywhere on either cab that shows that they were made by XiTone, the model, the date of manufacture, or a serial number.
There's a silver screw, no? :)
I mostly use rock or metal presets When I do, as soon as the guitar is live, there is terrible and instant squealing feedback from both cabs. I've tried all the DSP settings and mic and line input. Doesn't make any difference. Do your cabs do this? It's very annoying. Mick, the XiTone owner does not seem to know why this is happening.
My XiTone does not do this. Are your guitar pickups microphone? Were your high gain presets were dialed in on something low volume? Start fresh with a new preset and dial in your tone again, at the volume you want to play at, and see if it still happens?

No badge on mine either. This is very odd for any manufacturer .

I could be wrong, but my impression is that Xitone is just Mick, or at least mostly Mick. The lack of a serial number and inconsistent badging would be surprising for a company, but not for a one-man shop with a relatively low-margin product.

I have a Xitone and no label. I'm sure it's due to being a small company. Mine was the 1st lighter version one made about 3 years ago. It sounds good.

Tangent: I purchased a used Mbritt without a logo some time ago (older model with the Matrix amp and open back only). I never got along with it no matter how hard I tweaked settings. For some reason I couldn't seem to sell it at even a low price, so I ended up trading it for some gear at GC. They didn't know what to make of it in the first place despite me showing them multiple examples of what it was, but they ended up listing it as a Matrix amp. Oh well.

I sold my 1st Xitone Active Wedge {Matrix Amp} with my Kemper. But it sounded great. No issues etc. Just ordered another Xitone Active Wedge loaded with the Celestion F12-X200. This 1 uses the Dayton Amp. But can`t test it till my FM3 arrives.... some day. sniffle hehhhe

I have a Xitone Active Wedge. It’s incredible. To answer your questions...

1. mine has a small plate on the front bottom left corner of the grill with his ZZ logo and Xitone printed on it. Plus the silver screw. Got mine late 2019 so maybe that’s new. Mick is awesome, have spoken to him on the phone for some assistance. He is a solo shop, I like the simplicity of his non-labeling and clean build, but that’s irrelevant to your questions.

2. I haven’t had a squeal problem. I have found that if I accidentally switch the input to mic while I’m running a line in, the thing goes nuts from the increase in gain. Perhaps your unit running in is pushing too hot a signal and overloading it?

3. It’s my first FRFR. Crushes my studio monitors though.

Just got two XiTone GRFR active cabs to use with my Fractal Axe FX III. I would greatly appreciate other owners responding to the following questions. I've emailed a lot with the XiTone owner, Mick, he seems like a good guy and over all, with only two days of testing, they are superior to my 4 year old, previous generation, Atomic Active cabs.

1. There is literally nothing anywhere on either cab that shows that they were made by XiTone, the model, the date of manufacture, or a serial number. I've asked Mick about this and can't seem to get a straight answer. I've purchased at least $50,000 worth of high end gear in the last four years. And not a single piece of gear I've ever purchased did not have at minimum the name of the company that made it, the model, and often the date of manufacture and a serial number. Did your XiTone cabs have any of the above information printed anywhere on the cab?

2. I mostly use rock or metal presets When I do, as soon as the guitar is live, there is terrible and instant squealing feedback from both cabs. I've tried all the DSP settings and mic and line input. Doesn't make any difference. Do your cabs do this? It's very annoying. Mick, the XiTone owner does not seem to know why this is happening.

3. How would anyone here who owns XiTone cabs and how as ALSO OWNED other cabs by Atomic or another FRFR cab manufacturer compare the XiTone GRFR cab to the other cabs by other manufacturers?

Thanks!
David
My Xitone M Britt came without a medallion. I asked and he mailed me one. I definitely wanted the Xitone brand on the front.

Back
Top Bottom