Xitone Cabs

Update: something is wrong with the power source
It turned off by itself
I turned it back off and on again and then it turned off again, couldn’t turn it back on
Strange FM transmission came in with a. Squeal,....idk, seems like power

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot - I’m now like very anxious, i DONT want to have to return this thing

New update: the actual cable is bad.....the AC cable I mean
I switched it with a spare i had and the power stopped popping on and off

It is starting to sound more like it did yesterday, I’m just hoping all that power on and off wasnt any damage
And i also dont know what that SQUEAL was with the FM channel!

Chucma, hes already in touch, hes quick, mick is great, that’s why I don’t want to send this back

What I’m going to do is try switching outputs again now that the power source damage is revealed

I’m putting the monitors to output 2 ,and I’m putting copy output 1 (and I’m also going to switch USB out>1 to out>2 so my output in my mixing console doesnt get confused) , leave it in stereo

Leaving input 1 as analog

I’m putting the XLR output 1 to the Xitone and putting SUM L+R

Does that sound right?

Last edited:
So then it would seem correct to use the SUM L+R then , as i originally asked no?
If its to make the stereo signal I usually hear in my monitors into one mono for my Xitone is it better to use SUM L+R??

Please advise guys, I’m really new to this

So then it would seem correct to use the SUM L+R then , as i originally asked no?
If its to make the stereo signal I usually hear in my monitors into one mono for my Xitone is it better to use SUM L+R??

Please advise guys, I’m really new to this
It depends on what you want to do. The manual tells you how. You're going to have to decide for yourself, no one can tell you cus only you know what you want to do.

Ok, i just want the Left and right audio, that is usually going to my stereo monitors to basically all go to mono....
I mean its to connect to this mono FRFR cab so is this the correct move to make to hear everything the axe is doing?
Or should i just leave it in stereo mode as it was?

I’m not asking as a “technical” question, this is a noob question, like “does this sound right” or “should i do this?” Type, because I’m not an advanced AXE 3 user yet, I’m still takin coopers class

What am I trying to do? I am just trying to get the best, most accurate sound out of the xitone

Sometime it works. Sometimes it doesn’t work.

Let’s say you have a ping pong delay, bounces between L and R, if your only hearing L then your only hearing the pings. Sum the two and you now have the ping and the pong, but obviously it doesn’t sound like a ping pong, it’s all from one point source so it sounds like a normal delay, for better or worse.

But.... let’s say your left and right channels have material out of phase with each other, like say a 2209 style delay. Sum the L with the totally out of phase R and what happens ? Total phase cancelation, thus no sound.

So it can work, or it can cause issues, depends on the patch

Personally, I think if your making stereo effects presets, you should play them in stereo. Makes no sense summing them to mono. What’s the point ?

Right thats what i meant. For something like the ping pong of delay so i could hear it, even if its not in stereo

I also understand your second point, something that I totally was unaware of (cancellation)

You are totally right! Meaining stereo it is....Thanks man

BTW this is truly FRFR, its got a cab/warmth feel to it, but the tone is nearly the same as the monitor, of course the differences being in the construction, the amp+speakers,etc and so on, but it IS an FRFR solution, its very transparent , very clear, and when you have hi gain on, it soundsand feels like an amp, with the wind blowing your hair back. Like its a beast, a serious FRFR beast

So I am getting my 12” active wedge on Wednesday morning from FedEX and I can’t wait....I wanted an FRFR and I didnt want to buy another Atomic neo , and to my good fortune, there was ONLY one other FRFR that stood out: Mick Farlow xitones

Now, comparisons have been difficult to get from people as most choose one or the other. Of course, the CLR is more popular, but then again, the atomic has been around for twice as long and has been selling a lot more, mick is small, one man operation thats fairly new, so the numbers make sense when you stack them against each other....they are equally on par as far as FRFR goes

What I want to know is what is the bilateral crossover about? Something about a bi amp where the tweeter sits behind the main speaker?

The title means, the CLR has its own system, which you can read about....but I want to understand Mick’s system of his FRFR solution

Anyone care to explain differences or just general concept of Micks FRFR , maybe versus how Atomic assembles theirs?

Thank you for helping a noob
White Light...this thread:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/frfr-project-ideas.151023/
...actually delved into the differences between cab drivers and it does a good job of answering what these frfr cabs and drivers are...good luck!

I finally got the hang of this thing, meaning how to use the axe fix iii as an interface and at the same time output to the mono FRFR, and I really love this Xitone 12” active wedge man....like I couldn’t be more pleased honestly.

I recommend it highly, especially if you are lookin for an alternative FRFR wedge solution to the CLR, i think Mick has the best offer atm, (i think pima might agreee??)

Thanks for ALL the help and feedback guys
And I hope this helps anyone looking for any xitone review - GET IT ! You wont be disappointed, Mick will make sure of that

Does anyone have the Xitone 12" open/closed back cab? I talked to Mick & for what I play he recommended that one over the wedge. I don't use allot of gain. I use clean tones(DR) with mods & time based effects and low gain drives for lead tones. Blues/classic rock R&B. Any users of this cab?

Dude, I totally get it. When I had the CLR, you can understand what I mean when I say it was thin and transparent, no oomph or thump or boom, it was LOUD but it wasnt cab/amp like.....

The Xitone retains the tone but really thumps

I own both XiTone and CLR, and have for many years.
They both can sound thin, they both can sound transparent, they both can sound warm, they both can sound huge and punchy.
Your presets are what is defining your outcome.

I own both XiTone and CLR, and have for many years.
They both can sound thin, they both can sound transparent, they both can sound warm, they both can sound huge and punchy.
Your presets are what is defining your outcome.

And the DSP settings make a bit of difference in response too. Easy to do things like have the wrong dsp mode for the position, have the low cut active etc

I’ve forgotten when I had them pole mounted and then went back to wedge and didn’t turn off free field etc

Back
Top Bottom