Xitone active wedge vs Matrix NL12 /FR12

roflo

I did a search and nowhere can I find a direct comparison of users that have heard both cabs. I do realize the Xitone 12" active wedge has a Matrix amp that has been specifically tweaked by Mick at Xitone specifically for his cabs. I know there is the new lightweight Matrix FR active 12"cab and also the older Matrix NL12 active cab. I kinda assumed they were in the same ballpark but when I ask Mick at Xitone he stated they will sound quite a bit different. So my question is how would you describe the difference between the Matrix active cabs and the xitone active cab?
My main concern is getting a great sound but also to still have it feel like a guitar amp with FRFR accuracy. The lighter the better but not if it gives up anything in the tone area. The Matrix FR12 series looks intriguing especially with the light weight (29 lbs) and the built in DSP for playing at lower levels but my gut telling me the FR series wont be quite on par tone wise as with the other 2 models. I know there is the CLR active cabs but they seem a bit bulky to lug around and have heard quite a bit about reliability issues.I also am more of a jazz,blues,fusion player that plays softer to medium loud gigs, nothing screaming loud and no metal stuff in case any of that matters. Thanks for any input guys!

NL12 is a traditional guitar cab. Not FRFR. It's speaker can best be described as a lightweight V30. So your comparison will be between the Xitone and FR12 for FRFR purposes.

Given that both units have similar Class AB power from us, the tone from the amps will be the same, especially if both units have DSP that gives a flat response. So in effect the only thing (if both are flat) that would affect the tone is the amp....which is effectively the same as well!

So your choice will probably boil down to weight, how much power is needed and cost etc

Your main problem may well be the "feel" of FRFR itself and how much you need "the amp/cabin the room" feel. It is a a bit different so it may take a bit to get used to it so it's worth weighing up the pros and cons.

Hope that makes sense!

Xitone uses coaxial drivers, Matrix does not. To some, that could be a big difference due to off axis response consistency.

Also, Xitone has begun using the Celestion K12H I believe which is a dual cone configuration and is an excellent speaker.

Describing yourself as a "jazz, blues, fusion player" and "no metal", I would suggest that you speak with Xitone regarding their open back cabinet. What would be more advantageous would be if Xitone could create that open back cabinet to also convert to sealed.

Subscribed.... also looking for something in "cab form." I believe the Xitone now comes with a panel to covert to closed back as well. The weight is what I'm struggling with between the two (45 vs. 29 lbs of the Matrix).

Last edited:
I did a search and nowhere can I find a direct comparison of users that have heard both cabs. I do realize the Xitone 12" active wedge has a Matrix amp that has been specifically tweaked by Mick at Xitone specifically for his cabs. I know there is the new lightweight Matrix FR active 12"cab and also the older Matrix NL12 active cab. I kinda assumed they were in the same ballpark but when I ask Mick at Xitone he stated they will sound quite a bit different. So my question is how would you describe the difference between the Matrix active cabs and the xitone active cab?
My main concern is getting a great sound but also to still have it feel like a guitar amp with FRFR accuracy. The lighter the better but not if it gives up anything in the tone area. The Matrix FR12 series looks intriguing especially with the light weight (29 lbs) and the built in DSP for playing at lower levels but my gut telling me the FR series wont be quite on par tone wise as with the other 2 models. I know there is the CLR active cabs but they seem a bit bulky to lug around and have heard quite a bit about reliability issues.I also am more of a jazz,blues,fusion player that plays softer to medium loud gigs, nothing screaming loud and no metal stuff in case any of that matters. Thanks for any input guys!

NL12 is a traditional guitar cab. Not FRFR. It's speaker can best be described as a lightweight V30. So your comparison will be between the Xitone and FR12 for FRFR purposes.

Given that both units have similar Class AB power from us, the tone from the amps will be the same, especially if both units have DSP that gives a flat response. So in effect the only thing (if both are flat) that would affect the tone is the amp....which is effectively the same as well!

So your choice will probably boil down to weight, how much power is needed and cost etc

Your main problem may well be the "feel" of FRFR itself and how much you need "the amp/cabin the room" feel. It is a a bit different so it may take a bit to get used to it so it's worth weighing up the pros and cons.

Hope that makes sense!

Lightningboy is quite correct here... I guess what I should have said when you sent me a note was that the design goal of FRFR is shared between all cab builders but the approach to that goal can be quite different. This is a good thing.

Xitone uses coaxial drivers, Matrix does not. To some, that could be a big difference due to off axis response consistency.

Also, Xitone has begun using the Celestion K12H I believe which is a dual cone configuration and is an excellent speaker.

Describing yourself as a "jazz, blues, fusion player" and "no metal", I would suggest that you speak with Xitone regarding their open back cabinet. What would be more advantageous would be if Xitone could create that open back cabinet to also convert to sealed.

Yes, the K12H is a great driver. I am using it to do a version of the MBritt cab that is smaller and lighter. One of the design goals for the MBritt was for it to be a bit oversized so that it had more of a physical presence on stage. The next version will be as small and as light as I can make it... pictures coming in a couple of weeks. :)

Subscribed.... also looking for something in "cab form." I believe the Xitone now comes with a panel to covert to closed back as well. The weight is what I'm struggling with between the two (45 vs. 29 lbs of the Matrix).

The open/closed back is a different model all together. The standard MBritt is open back only.

My goal is to get the smaller version down to 35lbs or so... I won't know till I get it built in the next few days though so stay tuned. :)

The open/closed back is a different model all together. The standard MBritt is open back only.

My goal is to get the smaller version down to 35lbs or so... I won't know till I get it built in the next few days though so stay tuned. :)

Ahhh... thanks for clarifying. In that case, I'm very interested in the smaller/lighter option!

Ahhh... thanks for clarifying. In that case, I'm very interested in the smaller/lighter option!

Ditto on this Mick...a smaller version that tops out about 35 lbs would be amazing! I looked at the current M Britt but at 45 lbs it was a no go for me. The other thing t make it convertible, that way you can use the cab as open or closed back. Cant wait to see some pics of this.

Last edited:
I run 2 Matrix NL212 (the 2x12" version of the NL12) and power them with ta Matrix GT1000FX.
Also got a pair of passive XiTone FRFR which I power also with the Matrix amp.

These are 2 different worlds as the NL212 are not FRFR and not standard traditional guitar cabs, these are extended range cabs and they do sound MUCH better than many other traditional guitar cabs I had and try, all kind of Marshall, Mesa and others, I did so many comparisons and in the range of standard guitar cabs the NL212 has won them all and not only in my ears but also for other guitarists.

As for the XiTone, after more than a year with them I'm still not feeling satisfied, but I think it's more me rather than the cabs, I'm just more used to standard and not so sterile / CD kinda sound / cabs.
The NL212 are the lightens you can get and BTW so are the new FR10 and 12, they are VERY light.
The XiTones are not very heavy but they are heavier than the Matrix FRFR and NL's.

You have to decide first, do you wona keep it FRFR or have a "mix" and use traditional cabs.
I choose the traditional (NL212) upon FRFR dew to sound and so I can keep the option of using them with any amp head as well.

Back
Top Bottom