Xitone 1x12 sounds terrible - Any help is appreciated!

Hey everybody, I wonder if you could help me out...

I just received a used Xitone 1X12 and I am running it through an FM3. The problem is it sounds terrible! Very thin and unpleasant. When I run the FM3 through a super reverb amp, it sounds great! What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am very new to this. Did I get a bad amp?

Hey everybody, I wonder if you could help me out...

I just received a used Xitone 1X12 and I am running it through an FM3. The problem is it sounds terrible! Very thin and unpleasant. When I run the FM3 through a super reverb amp, it sounds great! What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am very new to this. Did I get a bad amp?
You need to use a Cab block.

Have 2 Xitone passive wedges. One via an FM3 and a Matrix GT1000fx and another via an Axefx3 and a GT1000fx. Both set ups sound great. Good luck on your new venture.

It sounds great! Adding the cab block was key. I want a clean tone, so now I'm searching for the best amp model. But if I were you, I would get these powered cabs. What unix-guy said above is right on. It sounds 'Like a guitar amp thru a nicely mic'd speaker..."

It sounds great! Adding the cab block was key. I want a clean tone, so now I'm searching for the best amp model. But if I were you, I would get these powered cabs. What unix-guy said above is right on. It sounds 'Like a guitar amp thru a nicely mic'd speaker..."
Just for clarification a passive and active monitor are the same thing. The only difference is in the passive xitone you need an external poweramp in addition to the cabinets, a powered monitor is the same as a passive monitor only it is powered by itself with no external poweramp connected. Both sound like "a guitar amp through a nicely mic'd speaker" (as long as you are using a cabinet IR in both cases of course)

Right on, Cole! I wasn't thinking about the difference between a cab having an internal or an external power source. For me, it's a lot easier having the power source in the cab, especially when playing out. But the downside is you cannot switch power sources, or at least it would be very difficult to switch power sources, with the power source inside the cab -- am I right about this?.

Right on, Cole! I wasn't thinking about the difference between a cab having an internal or an external power source. For me, it's a lot easier having the power source in the cab, especially when playing out. But the downside is you cannot switch power sources, or at least it would be very difficult to switch power sources, with the power source inside the cab -- am I right about this?.
Full Range cabs aren't like guitar cabs or guitar tone. with guitar, the tube power amplifier can have different tubes or features that make the sound different. for full range speakers, power amps generally strive for the same thing: clean power that doesn't color the original signal. so with that, trying other power amps may not make a significant difference.

also, powered speakers usually have the power amp made specifically for that speaker and enclosure, so in theory it's the best choice already.

Just for clarification a passive and active monitor are the same thing. The only difference is in the passive xitone you need an external poweramp in addition to the cabinets, a powered monitor is the same as a passive monitor only it is powered by itself with no external poweramp connected. Both sound like "a guitar amp through a nicely mic'd speaker" (as long as you are using a cabinet IR in both cases of course)

For additional clarity, they are not the same thing (sorry, I'm going to be nit picking here).
They are both full range speakers, they both require use of a Cab Block in the Axe, and they often contain the same speaker/tweeter/driver/woofer.
But....a passive monitor with an external power amp, it is not the same as an active monitor.

Generic explanation - passive boxes use Xover components to separate high/low frequencies, so that he highs are sent to the tweeter, and the low/mids are sent to the driver/woofer.
A good active box with an internal power amp will use DSP to perform Xover duties and contain 2 channels of power (amp), so that more tuning (xover, eq, phase alignment) can be performed 'in the box', usually yielding a better result than the Xover in a passive box.
I don't remember if Mick's Daytona power amps are multi channel, but they do have DSP to 'flatten' them. Passive versions will not have that same feature. Does that matter? Maybe, maybe not....depends on what you want and like. But they are not the same.

Google 'FIR filters'. Those are used within the DSP of my Yamaha DSR112s. I have yet to find a speaker that sounds as loud and clear, in such a small package.

I'm not saying passive wedges don't sound great (I own and love my Passive XiTone)...but active speakers do offer features (usually better tuning) that passive speakers with a power amp do not offer.
You 'can' use Xover filters in the Axe, and run 2 channels of power amp into a passive box....and possibly tune it as well as the DSP within an active box...but that's tedious and not cost effective.

For additional clarity, they are not the same thing (sorry, I'm going to be nit picking here).
They are both full range speakers, they both require use of a Cab Block in the Axe, and they often contain the same speaker/tweeter/driver/woofer.
But....a passive monitor with an external power amp, it is not the same as an active monitor.

Generic explanation - passive boxes use Xover components to separate high/low frequencies, so that he highs are sent to the tweeter, and the low/mids are sent to the driver/woofer.
A good active box with an internal power amp will use DSP to perform Xover duties and contain 2 channels of power (amp), so that more tuning (xover, eq, phase alignment) can be performed 'in the box', usually yielding a better result than the Xover in a passive box.
I don't remember if Mick's Daytona power amps are multi channel, but they do have DSP to 'flatten' them. Passive versions will not have that same feature. Does that matter? Maybe, maybe not....depends on what you want and like. But they are not the same.

Google 'FIR filters'. Those are used within the DSP of my Yamaha DSR112s. I have yet to find a speaker that sounds as loud and clear, in such a small package.

I'm not saying passive wedges don't sound great (I own and love my Passive XiTone)...but active speakers do offer features (usually better tuning) that passive speakers with a power amp do not offer.
You 'can' use Xover filters in the Axe, and run 2 channels of power amp into a passive box....and possibly tune it as well as the DSP within an active box...but that's tedious and not cost effective.
I would've assumed that stuff is relegated to studio monitors, good info, thanks bro.

Back
Top Bottom