Xitone 10 inch Powered Speaker - Awesome

I actually did this. During my transition period from regular cab to FRFR, I brought my studio monitors to band practice. Talk about bringing a popsicle stick to a Viking longsword fight.

Ha! yeah I'll bet that didn't sound very fulfilling.

Thanks! I think this will be the ticket for me. I'm chatting with Mick and think I'll be going XiTone for my FR setup. Can't wait!
Even though I have never played through a pair of them I have seen his work and know the parts that he uses and without a doubt they are top notch! If I had the extra cash I would definitely order a pair tomorrow ;).

I've had a 12" openback for a couple of months now and it sounds fantastic! I created my presets on the JBL and KRK monitors in my studio and everything translates really well to the XiTone but the open back gives it much more of a "real guitar amp" vibe. Other than a small low frequency noise issue (Mick's still ironing it out) the lil' beast has been very dependable...even at a hot gig that shut down our mains. I hate to sound like everyone else but Mick is great to work with too!

Just ordered a "convertible" open/closed back version of the Michael Britt cab from Xitone! Looking forward the seeing Mick's handiwork in 3 or 4 weeks approximately!!! Will post pics and a review after I've played with it for several days!

I just saw the thread on the 12 inch Xitone, here is some info on the 10 inch version I got last week.

Mick at Xitone recently developed a special FRFR cabined for the digitally modeling master Michael Britt. I believe it is a 12 inch speaker in an open cabinet (may be a closed?). I asked Mick for one slightly smaller to fit under my studio desk in my bedroom to replace my Tech21 Trademark 10 that I was running as a FRFR. I recently purchased Equator D5s as monitors (after trying pretty much every 5 in monitor on the planet and these sounded the best, although, all of them had a upper mid harshness that made the modelers sound like crap.

I currently use a Atomic CLR in my downstairs studio running a Axe-FX 2, Kemper, Eleven Rack and numerous plugins and love the CLR; however, although I love it (best FRFR I've tried), the CLR is "slight" overkill for my bedroom. Plus my wife only allowed me only the size of my desk for music equipment.

Here are the spec - quoting Mick

It's just a 10" open back cab running an Eminence 10" coaxial driver. The Matrix amp is 400w into 4ohms and 220 into 8ohms.

Incidentally, there are three operational modes... indicated by how many times the LED on the back blinks...

Mode 1 is FRFR,
Mode 2 is FRFR with 10" driver only
Mode 3 is 10" driver raw.

Here are my comments.

IT SOUNDS AWESOME. I've been running the following through it: AX8, KPA, Helix, Amplifire, Bias Head, UAD plugins, and pretty much every AU plugin out there (Amplitube, Line6, Bias, S-Gear, TH-3, Revalver 4, you name em.

Compared to the Equator monitors (which sound fine running Logic with software instruments), the Xitone blows them away for guitar Finally, I have a speaker that translates perfectly for my purposes. Even though it is a 10 inch speaker, at least for home use, it is plenty loud, plenty of bass. It does have ports that help with bass, although I have it so close to the wall that it is not optimal.

Plus, Mick is awesome to deal with, friendly, responsive and a master at building these cabinets.

For smaller gigs, practice or home use, the Xitone is perfect.
@Adinfinitum. Just wondering if your still feeling good about the Xitone 10". I like the size and weight but also wonder if it could handle playing out in small club setting. I''m mostly playing clean tones. Thanks in advance.

If you are playing clubs, i would go with the 12. You are probably more used to playing thru 12 inch speakers. When going FRFR, you still want it to sound close to a GTR cabinet.

Ask Mick what he thinks.

Back
Top Bottom