X32 mixer and in ears

Hmmm, I wonder if I'm approaching this the wrong way. I run my IEM stereo. That is I use the x32 rack and I have my in ear plugged into XLR outs 3 and 4. So I use sends on fader to put what I want mix wise in which ear. Now is that stereo? I don't know but I do not hard pan anything in my mix. I simply mix what I want in each ear.

Is this how you guys are doing this with your x32's?
If you have two (L + R) feeds with different mixes in each.. then "technically" it's a stereo mix even if both feeds are identical. You are doing what we are doing with our X32 IEM mixes, but we only using single (hence mono) XLR feeds to each of the 5 IEM mixes. I've been considering trying to use 2 XLR outs, but I don't have access to the mixer to "play" with it to set it up correctly - only can get to it before gig time. My research has indicated that when "syncing" 2 output busses.. level on bus 1 is output, and level on bus 2 is panning.. so not sure how I get guitars panned L/R in that scenario.

And yes, when mixed on console.. we use "sends on fader" (+ output buss controls such as compression, EQ, etc. as needed by each member) when we're not doing remote IEM mixing with our "i" devices. I mostly mix my IEM's with my iPad.. only use the "sends on faders" method if the connection gets dropped.

My research has indicated that when "syncing" 2 output busses.. level on bus 1 is output, and level on bus 2 is panning.. so not sure how I get guitars panned L/R in that scenario.

That's just how it's represented visually. You need to go to the Sends tab per channel on the console or the computer editor to pan things and set levels - you'll see the pan under each level fader. The iPad editor can NOT pan channels in Bus sends. The iPhone editor can - so just make sure you have both on your iPad so you can use the iPhone Q app to set pans - click the pan display near the top of any channel to reveal it and set things as desired.

Last edited:
My tones are crisp and too bright in the FOH, relative to what I hear through my in-ears. That means I monitor through in-ears at a lower level than the SPL the FOH typically uses. I build a custom EQ to address this by comparing my in-ear tones to my studio monitors set at the appropriate SPL. It's a reverse "V", with highs and lows cut. I turn this on for my FOH feed (Output 1) for all presets when I play live. This EQ is not in the signal path for Output 2, which feeds my in-ears.

Love my in-ears! I get to hear everything I want, clearly, at comfortable SPL's. I had to do a couple of gigs with a FRFR monitor and I was happy when I could play again using in-ears.

Terry.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The phrase "CD quality" is misleading. Anything mic'd and sent direct to your ears with these mixers is going to sound high quality because the audio and engines are high quality digital units.

I think the real meaning when people say it in this thread is "mixed and mastered" like a CD. So compression and panning and levels are perfect.

In ear monitors have given me the best playing experience ever and I don't have ringing ears and I'm not shouting at people after the gig. I do NOT need a wall of sound blaring at me, the audience or the bar/workers from guitar amps or speakers on stage.

In my experience, dial your tones for the big sound systems and the audience, then use the EQ on your IEM mixers to change how it sounds in your ears. However I barely change a thing, maybe just a bit more bass and treble for my IEMs - but that again depends on what IEMs you use etc.

Thanks... I am not looking for a "mastered" mix, probably should have worded things differently :)

That's just how it's represented visually. You need to go to the Sends tab per channel on the console or the computer editor to pan things and set levels - you'll see the pan under each level fader. The iPad editor can NOT pan channels in Bus sends. The iPhone editor can - so just make sure you have both on your iPad so you can use the iPhone Q app to set pans - click the pan display near the top of any channel to reveal it and set things as desired.
Since "sends on faders" is no longer valid in this scenario, how does (iPad) X32-Q work with the stereo mix?
I know I can select L/R channels, and [supposedly] the pan position is displayed above each channel.. but can I control both PAN and level in that app or do I need something else?
NOTE: - I'm NOT using the editor at all..

PS: The BL (who lives 60 miles away) owns/keeps the X32 at his place, so I don't have access to it to figure this out on my own! :)

What does that mean? Can you describe it more?

Hey Chris,

Yeah sorry if it wasn't clear, so I run mine via XLR outs so my left side is XLR out 3 and my right is XLR out 4. So when you hit the sends on fader tab it brings up all the outs. So if I want more guitar in my left ear I hit the 3 tab wich is my left and I raise up the volume fader on number 12 that is my Axe Fx.

And so if I want more or less vocals etc just hit sends and then whatever tab I need to adjust, so my drummer is XLR out 1 and bassist is out 2 , mine is 3 and 4 my singer is 5 and 6 and my 7 and 8 are main outs. Is that a little more clear?

Since "sends on faders" is no longer valid in this scenario, how does (iPad) X32-Q work with the stereo mix?
I know I can select L/R channels, and [supposedly] the pan position is displayed above each channel.. but can I control both PAN and level in that app or do I need something else?
NOTE: - I'm NOT using the editor at all..

PS: The BL (who lives 60 miles away) owns/keeps the X32 at his place, so I don't have access to it to figure this out on my own! :)

Sends on Faders still works for levels - it automatically moves both faders at once. Just that on the iPad you can't adjust the panning of Channels in Bus Sends.

Using the Q app you can do both level and pan. I'll post a screen shot later when I'm on a computer.

Hey Chris,

Yeah sorry if it wasn't clear, so I run mine via XLR outs so my left side is XLR out 3 and my right is XLR out 4. So when you hit the sends on fader tab it brings up all the outs. So if I want more guitar in my left ear I hit the 3 tab wich is my left and I raise up the volume fader on number 12 that is my Axe Fx.

And so if I want more or less vocals etc just hit sends and then whatever tab I need to adjust, so my drummer is XLR out 1 and bassist is out 2 , mine is 3 and 4 my singer is 5 and 6 and my 7 and 8 are main outs. Is that a little more clear?

I get it. So basically you have everything automatically hard panned since the Bus 3 and 4 aren't linked. It's technically the same thing. Just you are using the levels to adjust "panning" vs using the Pan control. If it works, it works ;)

Yep that is exactly how I'm doing it. I'm not sure if it's right but it lets me mix all our in ears so they are tailored to what each player needs/wants to hear.

One more dumb question because I just realized I think I am missing something:

How do I send from the XR-18 to the headphone amp? I was originally thinking it was via the 6 bus outputs, but as those appear to be mono (XLR) I am now thinking I would not be able to have 5 or 6 musicians each with their own stereo feed... What am I missing?

Thanks.!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One more dumb question because I just realized I think I am missing something:

How do I send from the XR-18 to the headphone amp? I was originally thinking it was via the 6 bus outputs, but as those appear to be mono (XLR) I am now thinking I would not be able to have 5 or 6 musicians each with their own stereo feed... What am I missing?

Thanks.!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, you need LEFT + RIGHT feeds from XR for EACH IEM mix if you want STEREO!
I think on the XR18 that limits you to 3 stereo mixes?

I get it. So basically you have everything automatically hard panned since the Bus 3 and 4 aren't linked. It's technically the same thing. Just you are using the levels to adjust "panning" vs using the Pan control. If it works, it works ;)
This is how I thought one had to do the stereo IEM thing on the X32..

Is what we do as well - using x32 rack, there are 8 xlr and 6 TRS outs. I run xlr Out 7 & 8 to FOH L & R, and use xlr out 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, and TRS outs Aux1/Aux2, Aux3/Aux4, Aux5/Aux6 to get 6 stereo IEM sends.

I have not used the aux sends for IEM, do you have any difference in sound quality over the XLR outs?

G'day,
We use a bunch of p16 units - they are little 16 channel monitor boxes connected vita cat 5 cables. I pass a number of channels and busses to them, and everyone has control over their own mix within the limitations I setup within routing.
It's great.
I should add that there's a pan control on the p16 so you can put anything where you like!
Pauly

Anyone mixing their own in ears using a Behringer X32 desk?

I'm using a presonus 24.4.2 studio live, I like the stereo linking but the efx are all mono. I much prefer true stereo mixes / efx for in ears vs. mono.

If anyone out there is mixing their own in ears using the X32 stuff, how do you like it?

Last edited:
I have not used the aux sends for IEM, do you have any difference in sound quality over the XLR outs?

To be fair, after the x32 I run some outs into wireless units and some into headphone amps and we use all kinds of IEM - Shure 215's to Custom mold Gorilla Ears. All my cable runs are short (maybe 1' - in same rack unit). They all sound great to me, but I don't know that I have checked the two send types to compare. Again, they all sound great to me - and I have listened to them all when we first set them up.

Sends on Faders still works for levels - it automatically moves both faders at once. Just that on the iPad you can't adjust the panning of Channels in Bus Sends.

Using the Q app you can do both level and pan. I'll post a screen shot later when I'm on a computer.

For those using android tablets the Mix Station app lets you pan.

I'm using an IXM unit and using the headphones out of the X32 Rack. My "mix" is really the main mix so I use a Google Nexus 7 to mix my in ears. The drummer has a P16 and the rest are using the iPhone app. Works great so far.

To be fair, after the x32 I run some outs into wireless units and some into headphone amps and we use all kinds of IEM - Shure 215's to Custom mold Gorilla Ears. All my cable runs are short (maybe 1' - in same rack unit). They all sound great to me, but I don't know that I have checked the two send types to compare. Again, they all sound great to me - and I have listened to them all when we first set them up.

Yeah I always wondered but just not enough to unplug and reset everything I guess I have had a bout of being lazy lol but I guess if it's all running through the Midas pre amps then the sound quality should be the same. I'm just not sure if the aux sends go through the the pre amps or not.

I'm just not sure if the aux sends go through the the pre amps or not.
Why would AUX sends go thru the Midas pre-amp's ??
They are sends - as in output busses!!!
That said, AFAIK, anything that DID go thru the pre-amp's on an individual channel that was subsequently routed to the AUX feeds WOULD HAVE that Midas pre-amp signal.

Back
Top Bottom