X32 mixer and in ears

barhrecords

Axe-Master
Anyone mixing their own in ears using a Behringer X32 desk?

I'm using a presonus 24.4.2 studio live, I like the stereo linking but the efx are all mono. I much prefer true stereo mixes / efx for in ears vs. mono.

If anyone out there is mixing their own in ears using the X32 stuff, how do you like it?

I don't run the board but I do use the iPad/iPhone software with our X32 every other Sunday to mix my in-ears. Works great!

Terry.

I have the x32 rack, and have used the Mackie 1602 for a bit. Love the x32 so far, tomorrow is second gig with it, so it's still in the honeymoon phase, but great so far.

i run stereo, the 4 other guys run mono for simplicity. i also mix and lead the band, so stereo is nice for me.

i'm not sure i can answer your question exactly correctly, but i'll try.

the main signal path of effects are definitely true stereo. a hard panned left mono signal into the stereo fx engine will only have reverb appear on the left speaker.

however, when you pan the IEM Bus sends (x32 calls them Buses instead of the usual Aux for monitor sends), those pans aren't sent to the FX engine - there's no way any FX engine can have 6 stereo inputs with different panning (1 main, 5 band members) without having 6 dedicated outputs.

so i think the answer is no, IEM effects returns aren't true stereo unless you somehow route a dedicated fx instance . the sources and channels are definitely true stereo once you pan them. but without dedicated in/out to your IEM mix, there's no way for any FX engine, internal or external, to have your own dedicated panning, vs other's panning at the same time.

that said, usually during a gig i'm way too focused on playing and other things to discern if the reverb on a panned left vocal is only coming out of the left side. so i just feed the FX return back to my Bus send for some "air" and it sounds amazing.

i run stereo, the 4 other guys run mono for simplicity. i also mix and lead the band, so stereo is nice for me.

i'm not sure i can answer your question exactly correctly, but i'll try.

the main signal path of effects are definitely true stereo. a hard panned left mono signal into the stereo fx engine will only have reverb appear on the left speaker.

however, when you pan the IEM Bus sends (x32 calls them Buses instead of the usual Aux for monitor sends), those pans aren't sent to the FX engine - there's no way any FX engine can have 6 stereo inputs with different panning (1 main, 5 band members) without having 6 dedicated outputs.

so i think the answer is no, IEM effects returns aren't true stereo unless you somehow route a dedicated fx instance . the sources and channels are definitely true stereo once you pan them. but without dedicated in/out to your IEM mix, there's no way for any FX engine, internal or external, to have your own dedicated panning, vs other's panning at the same time.

that said, usually during a gig i'm way too focused on playing and other things to discern if the reverb on a panned left vocal is only coming out of the left side. so i just feed the FX return back to my Bus send for some "air" and it sounds amazing.

Thanks Chris.

So you can't link two busses to form a single stereo bus that maintains pan positions and can feed the efx as a stereo source?

yes you can do that.

i've never tried that way, but it makes sense. then choose that bus as the source - rather than the default "fx send bus" and it should pan it exactly as you feed it.

that's what i was trying to say :)

i can try it later... mayyybe today, probably tomorrow. just to make sure.

you can even pop into my video stream later and we can run through it and i can answer some questions.

it's really been a great addition to my rack. anywhere i go, i usually have a better mixer than the house system. and i've definitely HAD to use it in a few situations when the house mixer broke or the sound guy didn't know how to use it. the scenes and snippets let me change configurations quickly.

yes you can do that.

i've never tried that way, but it makes sense. then choose that bus as the source - rather than the default "fx send bus" and it should pan it exactly as you feed it.

that's what i was trying to say :)

i can try it later... mayyybe today, probably tomorrow. just to make sure.

Thanks Chris!

I use linked Aux sends on the Presonus now, but the efx collapse to mono.

I was hoping with linked busses on the X32 I could maintain my pan and use the efx too without wrecking the panning.

i'll try it later and report back. FX inputs and outputs are definitely stereo - 2 separate channels - so i don't see why that wouldn't work.

True stereo... pan things, otherwise your ears and brain fatigue.. there are studies.

yes you can link busses, but they have to be right next to each other and it only goes one way, you'll see what I mean.

True stereo... pan things, otherwise your ears and brain fatigue.. there are studies.

I'm trying to take our in ears mixes to the next level and have been talking with some engineers I trust.

We haven't gotten our in ears as good as when we are tracking in my studio... yet :)

Thanks Chris.

So you can't link two busses to form a single stereo bus that maintains pan positions and can feed the efx as a stereo source?

Love my x32Rack BTW, and I am in no way the expert that others here are.. but if I understand your question I don't think you can? I think the efx sends are mono sends, stereo returns - so if I read your note you were looking to send a stereo signal to a stereo efx such that source L is only in efx L, and source R is only in efx R? x32 will do a bunch of cool routing so maybe, but not in the way that I normally run it. However, the stereo efx returns sound great in my IEM's!

I was thinking of building up multiple stereo mixes to the busses then folding stereo efx returns back in:
mono sources -> stereo efx
mono sources -------------------> stereo buss A
stereo efx return ----------------> stereo buss A

I'm using a presonus 24.4.2 studio live, I like the stereo linking but the efx are all mono. I much prefer true stereo mixes / efx for in ears vs. mono.

If anyone out there is mixing their own in ears using the X32 stuff, how do you like it?
My band uses the Studio Live 24 with IEMs.
We all have our mixes in stereo including the efx.
I know we use a Presonus headphone amp but don't know the model but that shouldn't matter.
Something must be configured wrong.

He's talking specifically about stereo effects where if in his particular mix a vocal is panned Left, the reverb would only appear on the Left as well. You need a dedicated FX unit regardless of what system you use. The x32 has 8 available.

Most units are configured by default to get the "send information" from the main mix/sends, not individual monitor returns.

I recently had some confusion about the FX on the X32. I compiled a few screen shots to explain my curiosity about Mono vs Stereo FX

Could you look at them Chris and see if this is related to what you guys are talking about?

I'm thinking it might help with some confusion if not maybe I could inquire privately.

I'm running errands but this looks similar to this discussion. I'll reply in depth later :)

I've been using an X32 producer for over a year now. However, I use the ultranet and P16 out to Carvin EM900 IEM's leaving all the physical outs on the board available for other things. The X32 is full stereo capable, including all 8 effects, but it still works just like a board with a rack of outboard gear.

The manual is freely availble in PDF from Behringer site as well as the X32 Edit PC/Mac app, which you can basically see how it all works without requiring an X32. I would recommend downloading both and looking them over.

Also Check out youtube. Drew Brashler has done quite a few detailed videos on setup and usage https://www.youtube.com/user/KD7QCU/videos and they are very informative.

If you need any more help, feel free to PM me, and I'll do what I can.

Here is Webinar from music group

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm looking into the X32 stuff. Gotta be compact.

(Dis)advantages between the Compact / Producer / Rack versions?

Pity that the snake is so expensive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom