X32 gurus - Internal audio card vs 3rd Party

mwd

Power User
I utilize the internal sound card on the X32 Rack internally routed to Channels 1 & 2 for a backing track that is the foundation of our duo. This is using Showbuddy from a MacBook. This also triggers MIDI messages for all of my gear as well as a MIDI lightshow.

Due to the X32 having no MIDI thru functionality I have to use a 3rd party USB MIDI device which works just fine but….

I also have available a Saffire 40 and a Babyface that provide audio as well as MIDI functionality and I wondered how the internal X32 sound card stacks up ‘technically’ to these devices sound quality wise. Perhaps I could gain a bit of sound quality by using the Saffire or Babyface and just run out of it into Channels 1 & 2 via the hardware inputs and use it’s MIDI thru functionality.

When you say 'sound card' are you saying that you're using the USB on the back of the XRack for feeding your backing tracks in?

If so, if you 'reversed' your chain and sent 'from' the X32 into one of your other devices, would you be using USB or Analog Outputs on the Xrack?

You say you have audio going into Ch1/2 on X32 via the "soundcard", but - it's not clear to me - how you are getting audiofrom the macbook to the X32.. audio out? USB port?
What is being connected to the X32 "card" ??
Same questions apply to MIDI...

I connect my MacBook via USB to the X32. That provides audio and MIDI from my MacBook via Showbuddy software.

The X32 does not function as a normal audio/MIDI interface in that it will accept MIDI triggers 'for' the X32 (snippets) but it won't pass MIDI thru to other devices downstream. So out of another USB port on the MacBook I use a Mio Midi USB interface to trigger messages to all other devices down stream currently being Axe, Voice Live, Roland GR55.

In the past, prior to purchasing the X32, we came out of the computer into a Saffire Pro 40 via firewire. The MIDI thru functioned properly and we just ran the analog outs to the Soundcraft Mixer to blend backing to live.

Since the X32 has an internal card it would have been ideal for it to provide the mixer, MIDI and audio interface functions in one device. It is advertised to do so however due to some archaic MIDI functionality it is necessary to use 2 devices.

Since I gained nothing in gear inventory reduction I wondered if I might gain sound quality by reverting back to the way we used to do it using a 3rd party interface and just run analog into the X32 for the backing tracks.

In other words would a 3rd party card make the backing tracks sound better when comparing the internal X32 audio card against some 3rd party audio cards like the Saffire Pro 40, RME Babyface, Apogee, etc., sound quality wise.

In reality I think I discovered a possible answer in that using the X32 as my soundcard is one less generation of audio conversion.

axe_rig.jpg

Last edited:
I cant imagine anyone could hear the differences you are talking about at a gig, or even practicing. Looks like a nice setup. I use an x32 for our bands ear mixes, also have it configured to run FOH if need be. So you are running out of your laptop to channel 1&2 on the x32 then out to your powered speakers?

Pretty much the same conclusion I came to. Any gain in interface quality might be washed due to and extra A/D conversion of a 3rd party interface. I do know the X32 is pretty good quality.

Yes laptop to X32 via USB. It is routed to CH1/2 internally via the digital matrix. Then out to QSC KW181's on the bottom and KW153's on top.

Agreed, you are unlikely to hear a difference.
Especially since you're using backing tracks (which I'm sure are already compressed, eq'd and sounding pristine. The internal USB card on the X32 will work just fine.
If you really want to upgrade your sound quality, let's change that Axe Ultra out for an Axe 2.....kidding, kidding.

If you really want to upgrade your sound quality, let's change that Axe Ultra out for an Axe 2.....kidding, kidding.

Yep' I'm one of the weird ones. I've got an XL in my studio and I do love it but my Ultra changes presets faster and is rock solid stable. I run verbs off into a stereo Strymon Big Sky. Honestly the presets I use sound better on the Ultra.

Yep' I'm one of the weird ones. I've got an XL in my studio and I do love it but my Ultra changes presets faster and is rock solid stable. I run verbs off into a stereo Strymon Big Sky. Honestly the presets I use sound better on the Ultra.

Cool...if it works, it works.
I was a happy Ultra user for years and still would be using it if the Axe 2 didn't come out....

Back
Top Bottom