X/Y Switching

My feeling is that XY is appreciated a lot around the board.
Effectively doubling the amount of fx (except for fx blocks without XY such as Tremolo) without taking a toll on CPU usage.
Also, delay/reverb spillover works fine with XY amp switching.

XY allows me to use 5 main presets for 90% of my bands' requirements, giving access to 10 amps and a lot of fx, without banking up/down.

There were some XY problems with 5.0x firmware, esp. concerning Amp and Cab blocks, but that's in the past. It's working very well.

It's so strange that I have been strongly directed away from the whole X/Y switching thing - I really can't imagine why at this point....

Do I need to go to the Kemper board to find the logic therein? :)

Last edited:
Who is directing you away from X/Y switching? I use it all the time and love it. I personally use it for Amp, Delay and Reverb. I'd use it for more but then I'd lose some IA's on my MFC that I use for other stuff.

I've been using this feature since I got my Axe-Fx II with FW 1.02, I'm completely confident in it. The only drawback I've found in V6 thus far is that there can be a pop if you X/Y switch between amps with different tone stack location, which is easy enough to avoid.

Right now, my MFC-101 is displaying this - AXE-FX Name TimeOut.... wish I could take some time out :)

Hadley

Last edited:
It all depends on the player and band requirements.

If you're always playing the same songs, with fixed arrangements, fixed sounds etc., nothing beats a preset/song approach. No need for tapdancing, you can concentrate on performance, errorproof. But it requires good preparation and there's less room for adjustments/changes on the fly.

Presets with IAs and XY offer room for improvisation, but require more concentration during performances. More risk of loosing track.

I used to program dedicated presets for all songs but it became too much work and maintenance, playing in 3 bands. Having access to 5 generic presets with all flexibility built in (and a number of additional effect-specific presets) just serves me better, saves preparation time and I can adapt my tone to whatever I feel like doing at the moment.

Last edited:
Right now, my MFC-101 is displaying the same sign I've seen for the last 1.5 hours - AXE-FX Name TimeOut!

This is in no way helpful nor explanatory to what the h#ll is going on - so I am taking an AFX time out as well...

Goodnite! :)

Hadley

Verify that SendRealtimeSysex on Axe is switched on, that MFC is set to Expansion, AxeFx II and AxeFx Mode, and that the cable seats firmly.

It all depends on the player and band requirements.

If you're always playing the same songs, with fixed arrangements, fixed sounds etc., nothing beats a preset/song approach. No need for tapdancing, you can concentrate on performance, errorproof. But it requires good preparation and there's less room for adjustments/changes on the fly.

Presets with IAs and XY offer room for improvisation, but require more concentration during performances. More risk of loosing track.

I used to program dedicated presets for all songs but it became too much work and maintenance, playing in 3 bands.
Exactly! I don't want to be locked into anything, and neither does my Boss, so I am happy to carry the responsibility of selecting the appropriate presets at the appropriate time...

Last edited:
No problems with X/Y here. But I'm using it to get a second set of tones from one amp and changing a couple of FX settings so I can get a solo tone and a rhythm tone out of each patch. But I stick to the same amp/fx combo, so my Bassman is set for quite clean on X and melting on Y etc. That's great for me as it's a similar tone, just more hair and volume. It's a really neat feature that's so easy to set up, makes up for all the missing cc assignments!

But I stick to the same amp/fx combo, so my Bassman is set for quite clean on X and melting on Y etc.

I do the same as HJM and it works great. For each patch my default is Y. When it comes solo time I switch to X, which uses the same amp/cab combo, but has the amp volume increased 1 or 2db (either Master or Gain, just depends). I might bump up the drive a little on X too. This allows me to keep a consistent tone between rhythm and lead sounds, as well as provide a boost without resorting to another IA. Very nice feature indeed.

Can X/Y also store an effect's bypass status? In other words, can it be used as 'a poor man's bypass' as well?

Last edited:
i use it.. usually to have a lower gain sound, then a higher gain sound on the same preset. Say X is the Marsha HB, Y is the HBE. or Cameron channel 1 channel 2. use for lead boosts too sometimes.

The possibilities are limitless but like many others, I use it solely for amp X/Y to add a little hair when needed. I name the pre-set like this so I can see them in my MFC and remember which ones have X/Y and which ones don't. Example: AC30 | AC30TB

Can X/Y also store an effect's bypass status? In other words, can it be used as 'a poor man's bypass' as well?

I could be wrong, but I don't think the bypass status is stored. I seem to remember trying this using my GCP.

No, bypass is NOT affected by X/Y state. Bypass is a state of the block, not the amplifier settings themselves. You can test this easily for yourself by clicking "X", then pressing FX BYP, then click "Y"--you'll see the block is still bypassed.

I use X/Y same as most on here, for 2 amp sounds, but I like the feature much better with a different controller. For example, on my LF Pro I have IAs set for one delay block. We'll call them IA 1 and 2. 1 (X) would be a short or simple delay and 2 (Y) would be a long or complex delay. If I push either one of those IA's it will act like an independent delay block with on and off function. If 1 (X) is already active and I push 2, 1 will automatically be lit on my board as off and 2 (Y) will be activated. They are 2 delays that aren't complementary so I don't want to use them together. Another I use is a phaser with X set to phase 90 and Y to a vibrato. With the drive block, I usually have a small boost and medium boost. I find I use the combo of TS and BB or fet and TS a lot. Mix the drive X/Y with the amp X/Y and you end up with clean (ampX), little grit (ampX drvX), medium crunch (ampX drvY), crunch (ampY), more crunch (ampY drvX), heavy (ampY drvY). 3 IA's and 3 effect blocks. I don't always use it that way. Sometimes it's that X drive works with X amp and Y drive works with Y amp.

And do you find that the delay/dropout time is not a dealbreaker?

Hi Radley,

When you say/refer to "delay/dropout-time" as a dealbreaker, are you referring to "preset-change latency" (Someone in these forums listed 30-mSecs as the preset-change latency, but I did NOT personally measure this!) or are you referring to (literally) a "delay-effect" getting chopped-off? I'm sure you're aware about the delay not needing to get chopped-off, correct? Spillover, controlling delay input-level, etc, are a few ways to get your "delay-tails" to spillover/decay naturally. BTW, I am NOT sure, but I would THINK that the "X/Y-switching/staying-in-one-preset" approach would be a lot faster (less latency?) than the "preset-switching," but again, I'm NOT sure?

Has anyone measured this?

Thanks.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom