• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

X/Y Questions

jw3571

Inspired
I finally set up a few patches with a X/Y. In these patches I have a overdrive on both the x and the y but I have it disabled on both. I've noticed that if I turn the overdrive on in x, it automatically turns it on when i switch over to Y. Why is this? Is this normal or am i not doing something correctly?

unix-guy

Legend!
I finally set up a few patches with a X/Y. In these patches I have a overdrive on both the x and the y but I have it disabled on both. I've noticed that if I turn the overdrive on in x, it automatically turns it on when i switch over to Y. Why is this? Is this normal or am i not doing something correctly?
X and Y are settings within the block. There is no relationship to whether the block is on or off.

jw3571

Inspired
Okay, you've confused me which isn't hard to do. I thought X/Y was made so you can have two completely diffrerent amp types so you could have different effects and different volumes, etc. It does this until I make a change in the patch, like turning on the OD. What am I missing?

As for Scenes, my problem has always been with volumes. For example let's say i'm just trying to do a simple patch with 2 scenes. One with distortion, one clean. If I set the volume for the distortion scene, then head over to the other scene and turn off the OD and some gain the volume is way too quiet. My understanding is you can't change the level on one scene without it affecting the other scene? Is this correct?

∞Fractals

Power User
As for Scenes, my problem has always been with volumes. For example let's say i'm just trying to do a simple patch with 2 scenes. One with distortion, one clean. If I set the volume for the distortion scene, then head over to the other scene and turn off the OD and some gain the volume is way too quiet. My understanding is you can't change the level on one scene without it affecting the other scene? Is this correct?
No.

Each scene has an independent level (and pan IIRC) in the output block (far right, last block on the grid) - super useful for various amp's levels, incl. drives on or off. Great example is a LEAD SCENE where you might push +3db of volume for that one scene.

Drives also have a "level" which you can set to keep gain structures balanced. You can easily set up your drives so that you get a small volume boost with LEVEL about 6 (or not, like using an SSD preamp for a little something "extra" with a low drive ~1.7, tone ~5, level ~3.5 which generally doesn't increase your patch volume when enabled).

FWIW, some folks like to use a VOL or MIXER block to manage patch Volumes and that enables creative controller options - however, I generally do not. Sometimes though, it's the simpler path.

X/Y states are really helpful in context of scenes; e.g. two different drive (or any FX block [delay, comp, etc.] types across your preset in one block).

Scenes are super-critical for me; strongly suggest you read up on them as they are easy to learn and very handy. There are up to 8 available per preset. I typically use 5 (1. Clean, 2. Low gain, 3. More gain, 4. Lead, 5. Special fx). Within these scenes, you can have your many FX's either enabled or off in a unique configuration per scene. I.e. Multidelay may only be on in scene #5, and not on for the the other 4 scenes.

An advanced concept are "scene controllers" (there are 2) that allow you to manage any modifier with a scene, like changing the input drive up per scene, while also managing the LEVEL (down - to keep gain staging normalized). This gives me the advancing distortion/crunch in scenes (low to high) without increasing volume as I add gain to the amp.

Lastly, use the VU meters in the front panel UTILITY function to balance your amp levels across various amp x/y states or (even 2 amp blocks; x/y gives you up to 4 amps to normalize)

Last edited:

Billbill

Power User
X/Y is when you have the same block with two different settings. I only use a few scenes per preset so in scene 1 my drive is set how I like but in scene 2 I want that block to be different, I'll copy X to Y and adjust from there. Now in scene 1 my drive has mid at 3, I flip to scene 2 and that same drive changes to Y state which has the mid to say, 8.

jw3571

Inspired
I thought I understood what you are talking but I guess I don't. If you're trying to have a preset that has one scene with distortion and one clean, you can't change your amp settings, correct? I can turn the drive off in the clean one but if you change the amp settings it changes it for both. I guess I need to mess with Scene Controllers.

Rex

Legend!
I thought I understood what you are talking but I guess I don't. If you're trying to have a preset that has one scene with distortion and one clean, you can't change your amp settings, correct? I can turn the drive off in the clean one but if you change the amp settings it changes it for both. I guess I need to mess with Scene Controllers.
You can have two sets of amp settings in each Amp block—one set for X and one set for Y. You can use X in one scene and Y in another scene.

Or you can choose between X and Y with a footswitch.

Or you can assign a footswitch to the amp's Drive parameter, and use that to get two different amounts of gain.

You also have X and Y for your Drive block, your Delay block, and a whole bunch of other blocks.

unix-guy

Legend!
That is where X/Y comes into play. The use of scenes basically for controlling the on/off and X/Y states of blocks within a preset.

If you want two different amp settings, you can use X and Y states to control that, and then in the scenes you select whether you want X or Y.

However, that being said, Amp blocks are the one case where you typically want to avoid X/Y changes because there will be a short audio gap when that change happens.

If you need two different amp settings, the simplest method is to use two blocks in parallel, with bypass mode set to Mute.

Otherwise, you can look at scene controllers but a) that will only allow changing settings within the same amp model and b) they are a bit of an advanced topic and you seem to be struggling a bit already.

jw3571

Inspired
I'd say i'm struggling with this. I didn't realize each block had x/y. Let me mess around with this and i'll be back.

Top Bottom