X-Y preset question

jgparker59

Inspired
I understand how to set up the preset in Ax-Edit for X & Y but I don't know how to change to X (green) and Y (red) on the MFC 101. On the Axe itself when I push X or Y I hear the difference but on the MFC 101 no matter what I set it to, either Global, or alt or whatever it doesn't work. What am I missing? Also how do you for instance, have no chorus on X and have chorus on Y? I save it or set it on Y and the it also sets it on X. I'm confused. Is it only the Amp block that you can have X & Y switching on the same preset. Sorry for my ignorance, I'm only a noobie for about 3 weeks.:roll

You have to assign an IA switch to amp XY. Set it in the MFC directly. Pretty simply explained in the manual.
You can't have no chorus in X amp and chorus in Y. You'll have to make a new preset. Somebody will chime in if I'm wrong...

I think the op thinks the PRESET has an XY status. But it doesn't. Individual blocks have the XY status. So delay 1 X is set to 500Ms and Y is set to 1000ms. Using 1 MFC switch I turn on the delay, which happens to be on the X setting. Using a 2nd assigned MFC switch for Delay1 XY toggle, I can switch to Y and now have a longer delay setting. Back to X or turn delay off etc.

Same for amps, cabs, etc that have the XY function. I personally only use the amp XY feature. But others have linked multiple XY toggles to the same MFC button to switch a whole bunch of things at once in a preset.

Each preset can have its own XY values for any block, but of course it will share the same MFC controls.

I understand how to set up the preset in Ax-Edit for X & Y but I don't know how to change to X (green) and Y (red) on the MFC 101. On the Axe itself when I push X or Y I hear the difference but on the MFC 101 no matter what I set it to, either Global, or alt or whatever it doesn't work. What am I missing? Also how do you for instance, have no chorus on X and have chorus on Y? I save it or set it on Y and the it also sets it on X. I'm confused. Is it only the Amp block that you can have X & Y switching on the same preset. Sorry for my ignorance, I'm only a noobie for about 3 weeks.:roll

As lp59 already mentioned, you have to assign an IA-switch for x/y switching (at your MFC-101). Read this first: Effect blocks: X/Y switching - Axe-Fx II Wiki.
You have more choices than just the AMP-block for x/y-switching (see page 172 of your Axe-Fx 2 manual for these blocks and their assigned CC#).
If you would like for example to switch an AMP, CAB and CHORUS block; it would require that you assign the same CC# to these three blocks at your AXE-FX2 and when you have assigned this CC# to a switch at your MFC-101, you're going to be able to switch three blocks at the same time from x to y or vice versa.
Good luck.

Some extra information:
- http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-curve-axe-ii-midi-foot-controller-101-a.html
- http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/52283-x-y-switching.html
- http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/50261-x-y-switching.html
- http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/38230-ia-x-y-control-how-turn-switch-xy.html

Especially the last link provides multiple options for x/y switching and at the same time turning blocks on/off.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies and info everyone. It's really cool to have this forum plus communicate with fellow musicians from other countries. So after reading, what is the purpose of the green then red switches (or same switch hit twice) on the MFC 101? How are you guys using them? So I have a preset set up in say #1 position and hit it to turn red, for what purpose? I was hoping to hit it on red to change to Y status but it seems it wasn't designed for that. That, from what I understand, can only be acessed from ANOTHER footswitch assigned to do that. In which case I might as well have another preset set up to do what I want.

jgparker59, you really should read the manual.
But by default in axe-fx mode, they turn individual effects on and off. Green = on , red = off, and if no light is present, then that effect doesn't exits in that preset.

I did "read the manual" twice. I just have a hard time COMPREHENDING IT! I'm not the brightest bulb in the fixture if you know what i'm saying.:D So, all I'm looking for are some examples; if anyone is using in preset mode, the green, hit the switch then red and again back to green mode?

i'm not sure why you are still on the whole red green thing, when it was explained that red means off and green means on. it has nothing to do with x/y.

red means off.
green means on.
no light means there is no effect.

unless you assign an IA switch to a specific X/Y toggle, which i think you haven't right?

The current preset switch could toggle any number of blocks between X & Y if you want it to, I think.

1. Set the global alternate preset to something out of the way (not among other presets you'd recall directly) like 383.

2. Edit the MFC's 'Axe-FX Preset Transmit Map' so the preset chosen in step 1 sends no Axe-FX program change, e.g. "383->OFF" instead of "383->383".

3. At the Axe-FX I/O: CTRL page set all the desired X/Y functions to the same CC#. Choose any one CC# from the group and set the rest to that.

4. On the MFC set an Internal CC to the Axe-FX channel and the CC# chosen in step 3.

5. Change the internal CC's on & off values to ON = 0 and OFF = 127. This will make all presets load initially with those blocks in the X state, which I'm guessing is how most or all of the presets you're using are already stored.

6. Switch to the global alternate preset (press current preset switch again) and change the status of the internal CC to "ON", then store the preset on the MFC.

Now you should find that pressing any preset switch again toggles all the blocks chosen in step 3 between X & Y states. See "Internal CCs", "Axe-FX transmit map" & "alternate preset" sections of MFC manual for relevant info.

i'm not sure why you are still on the whole red green thing, when it was explained that red means off and green means on. it has nothing to do with x/y.

unless you assign an IA switch to a specific X/Y toggle, which i think you haven't right?

No I haven't. I get the XY thing. When I hit my preset 1 I have saved, the JVM OD1 comes up. Great! Now I hit the same switch again to red and it comes up either Alt JVM OD 1 or to another preset. I'm just asking how others might use this option. When you say green on, red off, do you mean effect on/off? Because the preset doesn't go off on red. And the light never goes off. It's either green or red.

Hey buddy, that's an 'alternate preset' that's being loaded, enabling you to toggle between 2 presets using one switch on the MFC.

I've used this to have, say, a dry crunch tone and then when I step on the same switch, it toggles to the alternate presets,which is a lead tone.

Don't have the manual nearby to tell you where it's described, but it's in there for sure (make sure you have the latest manual, which you can download from the FAS site).

Hope that helps!

Right. There is no "preset XY" that's what was throwing me off. You are switching between completely different presets. Again, nothing to do with XY.

It's alternate preset as described above. Page 17 section 4.5 of the latest MFC manual. Which you read. 2x. :)

I now have a question too, i currently don't have the Axe2 ( back at G66 ) so i can't try it right now but:

Does the X/Y switch on the front of the axe switch all blocks at once when you have (for example a really simple ) preset with: amp-X cab-X reverb-X and amp-Y cab-Y reverb-Y ?
Or does it only function in editing mode?

Because why wouldn't there be an X/Y knob on the MFX that switches the whole preset to X or Y at once in stead of only an amp / Cab or Reverb?

But maybe i should get back the unit first and try that haha....

I get it now. I'll just set up another identical preset but only say with a lead tone & up maybe 3db, and set it up on a high bank that I don't use that much, and then link it to the preset on red light that I want. How cool is that:) Thanks again!

I now have a question too, i currently don't have the Axe2 ( back at G66 ) so i can't try it right now but:

Does the X/Y switch on the front of the axe switch all blocks at once when you have (for example a really simple ) preset with: amp-X cab-X reverb-X and amp-Y cab-Y reverb-Y ?
Or does it only function in editing mode?

Because why wouldn't there be an X/Y knob on the MFX that switches the whole preset to X or Y at once in stead of only an amp / Cab or Reverb?

But maybe i should get back the unit first and try that haha....

If you are editing a block the x/y switches select x or y for that block. If you are not editing a block, the x/y switches "quick jump" to the edit menu of the block you have selected in the I/O menu--see page 141 of the Axe manual.

Either way, just one block is switched.

Danny W.

I switch chrorus, delay, amps on the X/Y switch. If you don't want chorus on one of the two, just set the X or Y setting in the chorus to 0 mix. Simple.

All my presets have their own lead setting, and all my lead settings are X/Y switched. Adding Delay is the most common thing, but cool to have a Octave sound or Chorus kick in too.

Anyway, good luck ...

If you are editing a block the x/y switches select x or y for that block. If you are not editing a block, the x/y switches "quick jump" to the edit menu of the block you have selected in the I/O menu--see page 141 of the Axe manual.

Either way, just one block is switched.

Danny W.

So wouldn't it be more handy that all the blocks could switch in one time? I cannot see why it would benefit me if i could only switch the (for example ) chorus if i can do that with my expression pedal too. ( Heel = Mix 0 % / Toe = Mix xx% )

When i first ( without reading )heard of this option i assumed you could switch 1 preset to a completely different sound, just by hitting the X/Y knob.....

You can assign multiple XY toggles to one foot switch. But isn't "switching 1 preset to a completely different sound".... Switching presets?

So wouldn't it be more handy that all the blocks could switch in one time? I cannot see why it would benefit me if i could only switch the (for example ) chorus if i can do that with my expression pedal too. ( Heel = Mix 0 % / Toe = Mix xx% )

When i first ( without reading )heard of this option i assumed you could switch 1 preset to a completely different sound, just by hitting the X/Y knob.....

I understand that do not have a Axe-Fx right now in your possession; this is probably a reason why it could be confusing. There are several possible options regarding the x/y buttons. Danny W. already explained what would happen if you would use the frontpanel buttons.
Again; you can switch all the blocks you want from x to y at the same time (read the manual or my post or Bakermans). Therefore you can have a (completely) different sound if you would want to.

Let me briefly explain some options:
  • When you're in normal mode (just selecting a preset) and you press on the frontpanel x/y it switches immediately (by default) to your amp-block (so amp x or amp y) (but you can change this behaviour by modifying the I/O menu options; this is what Danny W. explained)
  • When you are in the layout-mode and selecting a specific block (for example chorus) the front-panel x/y buttons switch to your chorus x or chorus y (this is also what Danny W. explained)
  • When you have configured a IA-switch at a footcontroller (for x/y switching) it switches all the blocks you have configured for this.

Last edited:
thank you all for explaining.

But it is just like i was thinking first time, as i was reading i got a little confused, i tought you had to assign the X/Y buttons for every block.
So a Midi CC for chorus x or Y, CC for Amp x/Y and so on..... it is just one knob i'd have to hit.

When i have my Axe back i will try to set it up, it is a pretty handy option to have for some presets.

Back
Top Bottom