X/Y amps - what am I doing wrong?

Wildwind

Experienced
Pretty new to Scenes and X/Y, but have used them for about four gigs now successfully.

I'm preparing for my next gig, using two versions of the Mark IIC+ (in terms of knob settings). Two patches call for X amp, two for Y amp.

I set up my four Scenes, save my settings, then run through them - and the X amp now matches the Y amp. At times, the Y amp was picking up settings I hadn't used in a week.

I save these to my HD, using on Ax8-Edit.

Now I am copying my amp blocks from other patch sets. The X amp I copied from another patch set that was working fine. The Y amp is a standalone patch (just 1 Scene).

Oh, and at least twice, I was in the Amp block and copied X to Y, then copied another Amp block (cleaner tones) into that same patch as X.

Every time I think I have this saved and start to create my new patches, my Scenes are messed up in several ways.

Maybe not making sense, but it's been a long day. Can anyone tell me what I'm messing up? I really thought I was getting a grip on Scenes and X/Y.

That would explain it. Didn't realize that.

So let me ask - I'm building a sort of library of basic sounds, starting points. What is the best way to create just an X amp or Y amp from that library? Or do I need to just manually input my desired changes?

Thanks Matt.

Okay...done some playing around.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the only way to have an X/Y amp block (X is clean, Y is dirty - but amp is the same model) that switches correctly in Scenes is to create the initial Amp block - from scratch, copy from another patch, load from PC - that satisfies X (or Y) and then manually edit the other state.

I did that, matching settings and then saving. And now it works as desired. Making me very happy.

Is there a better way? If this is it, that's fine. I'll quit looking. I do tend to use PCs for heavy lifting as much as possible, but this method only takes a minute and I can save screen shots in my "library."

Thanks for the answers. I totally missed that X/Y settings behave that way.

Okay...done some playing around.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the only way to have an X/Y amp block (X is clean, Y is dirty - but amp is the same model) that switches correctly in Scenes is to create the initial Amp block - from scratch, copy from another patch, load from PC - that satisfies X (or Y) and then manually edit the other state.

I did that, matching settings and then saving. And now it works as desired. Making me very happy.

Is there a better way? If this is it, that's fine. I'll quit looking. I do tend to use PCs for heavy lifting as much as possible, but this method only takes a minute and I can save screen shots in my "library."

Thanks for the answers. I totally missed that X/Y settings behave that way.

You're looking to copy the settings from X into Y? If so, right click on the X button, and the menu will have options for copying x to y, y to x, or swapping x and y.

You're looking to copy the settings from X into Y? If so, right click on the X button, and the menu will have options for copying x to y, y to x, or swapping x and y.
Further to that, you can use the copy to/from clipboard.

That's what I was doing. And then the other side lost its settings. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but no idea what.

So I can do that copy for the X or the Y, no problem. But thus far, the only thing that seems to work is manually editing the other state to give me two "Amps."

That's what I was doing. And then the other side lost its settings. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but no idea what.

So I can do that copy for the X or the Y, no problem. But thus far, the only thing that seems to work is manually editing the other state to give me two "Amps."
Load the amp you want to copy X from.

Right click the X and "copy X to clipboard".

Load the preset you want to copy the X settings to.

Click the amp block.

Right click the X and "paste clipboard to X"

Save the preset.

Now, load the amp block you want to copy Y from.

Repeat all steps above using Y instead of X.

Back
Top Bottom