X-LOAD LB2 question

edo

Power User
Vendor
I'm not sure where to post this, so please feel free to move it somewhere else if that's the case.
I'm considering to get the LB2 for the sole purpose of capturing Ir's of my own amps (all combos). However, by reading the manual, it looks like it only supports 8Ohm, while most of my amps are 16Ohms. One of them has a selector to switch between 8 and 16, but considering that I'd still need to connect the speakers (16) in order to capture the ir, I would like to know if / how I can use it without damaging the amps. Thanks in advance

The X-Load has a speaker through jack, so you could go Amp (8 ohm out) -> X-Load -> Cab (from X-Load thru) while connecting the X-Load main output to the III. IIRC in this setup the speaker cab provides the load.

Yes, but if the cab is 16Ohms only, what happens connecting the 8Ohm out into the x-load and thru to speaker?

Yes, but if the cab is 16Ohms only, what happens connecting the 8Ohm out into the x-load and thru to speaker?
Nothing in this case as it's just a pass-through. However if this is how you are going to use it then a DI that can handle speaker level would be a less expensive solution. That said, the DI quality of the LB-2 is better than any of the speaker level DI's I've tested. Most of them have poor low frequency response.

Nothing in this case as it's just a pass-through. However if this is how you are going to use it then a DI that can handle speaker level would be a less expensive solution. That said, the DI quality of the LB-2 is better than any of the speaker level DI's I've tested. Most of them have poor low frequency response.

Well, thats why I was considering your product! The di I've been using (jet city jettenuator, an attenuator I used to use back in the old days I was still using amps live) lacks bass and top end sparkle whenever I compare the ir to the actual mic'd amp.
The thing is that the combo (ac30hw2x) has the 8/16 Ohm switch, but the internal speakers are 16Ohms (2 x 8), so if I select 8ohms and then pass that through the internal speaker, I'd be sending 8ohms into a 16ohm cabinet. Is that correct?

If you use the speaker through, the impedance of the load box is irrelevant. In that case it's just a DI. So in your case you would set the amp to 16 ohms, connect the amp to the load box and the load box to the speakers.

If you use the load box as a load box then you would set the amp's impedance to 8 ohms to match the impedance of the load box. In this case you would NOT connect the load box to the speakers.

If you use the speaker through, the impedance of the load box is irrelevant. In that case it's just a DI. So in your case you would set the amp to 16 ohms, connect the amp to the load box and the load box to the speakers.

If you use the load box as a load box then you would set the amp's impedance to 8 ohms to match the impedance of the load box. In this case you would NOT connect the load box to the speakers.
Just to be 100% sure: you are talking about the X-Load LB-2 here?

Last edited:

Ah, i get it now! I thought the lb2 was supposed to receive 8Ohm for any application. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom