X-LOAD LB-2 Reactive Load Box now available

In case your interested, I recorded a few basic tracks to test out the LB-2. I kept it simple, hoping to highlight the note response and decay. Just ignore the sloppy playing!

Signal chain is my Strat into a 50w PRS HX/DA. Master volume is on 10 for both of these. I do not have an Axe FX II at the moment (sold to fund the III) so I am using my POD X3 live as a cabinet modeler, which I have always had great results with. LB-2 is set to UK mode.

First recording is a medium game tone. I added reverb and delay in my signal chain towards the end of the recording.

Second recording is a dimed plexi tone.

As an attenuator, I haven't tried it yet as I figure a 3db volume reduction is not enough for a NYC apartment.

Exactly. You'll probably want to use it as a load, then put a power amp afterward, like a Fryette Power Station does.

I'm not really after that much attenuation. I'm looking for Live Gigging and Being able to Turn up my Masters a bit more to get the Tubes Going. Right now I am at 2.5(8:30) for Master 1 and 3(9:00) for Master 2 - That's so low it's hard to do a slight volume bump cause it's so sensitive down that low...
So I think this unit should get me there if it is Soaking 1/2 the Power???
We'll see... or there might be one up on eBay soon... LOL
Anyways, mine arrives Friday so if Band Practice happens I'm gonna bring my Diezel Head to try it with (Diezel is only used for Gigs)

I just got an email on the X-Load. I expect that it is pretty good. The question that came to mind was if there are any plans to make a small speaker simulator to go with it. For live applications, if I was already using an Axe FX or something like it, I wouldn't mess with an amp (other than a Matrix or something similar). However, it would be nice to also have an analog rig that I can sometimes use with my Marshall, without blasting everyone out. It would be good if they had something small that would give you several different speaker simulation options (greenback, etc..). Just a thought.

Never tried Reverb. I've always had good luck selling on eBay.
I research going rates and only do Buy It Now listings (No Make Offer option, brings out the Cheap A$$es)
Why do you say that, do things go for a higher price on Reverb?

Reverb is much cheaper, but rampant with lowballers. Just sold a guitar on there, and it was smooth after i countered a few lowballers.

EDIT: guitar sale was a nightmare... uggh. Think i'm done selling guitars or big ticket items.

Last edited:
I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this subject. Some things I stay up on and some not. I had one of the first power attenuators on the market in the late 70's called an Altair PW5 and I loved it. It allowed me to sculpt some serious mojo on my 50w Marshall stack.

I assumed this load box was a modern day power attenuator. The FAS email caught my eye because I've been wanting reduce volume on my a Marshall half stack I have now for some home jamming as this poor amp has been sitting idle for over 10 years but I am realizing that while this box may accomplish some power dissipation that this is not it's main purpose. .

Is the primary purpose of this LB device essentially to replace the amp block on your FAS produce with a real amp head?. I get some of the concept I just don't know why. Is it for people that don't want to give up their amp or does it mostly serve a recording purpose? To be direct why does this product exist?

I know that Fractal is adamant about quality and they pick and choose the products they market so I wonder what the draw to this product is or what makes it capture FAS attention?

Is the pimary purpose of this LB device essentially to replace the amp block on your FAS produce with a real amp head?. I get some of the concept I just don't know why. Is it for people that don't want to give up their amp or does it mostly serve a recording purpose? To be direct why does this product exist?

This is the primary reason why I purchased one. I have a few amps that aren't modeled in the Axe Fx. The LB-2 gives me the option to record with them at home without making the neighbors mad. It gives me a lot more tonal options since I can match up any impulse response.

The Axe Fx can convincingly produce any tone I could ever want. But o me, there is something to using a real amp too.

Hope this helps!

On Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifiers you can remove power tubes a pair at a time, starting from the innermost two, to step down the power OP by 50w per pair removed (per Boogie’s techs).
Example:

All power tubes in:
150w

4 of 6 power tubes in:
00xx00
100w

2 of 6 power tubes in:
0xxxx0
50w

This works wether you are using 6L6’s or EL34’s btw. I did this to get my Triple down to 50w so that I was less obnoxious for club gigs, and also in conjunction with higher headroom preamp tubes so I could clip the power amp tubes a little (I was using EL34’s) in hopes to make it more Marshal-esque. I’m not sure if I achieved that exactly, but it sounded totally rad so who cares hahaha

This might be a dumb question, but I have to ask it anyway. The unit is made for amps up to 100 watts, correct? What if I want to use it with my triple recifiers which have 150 watts? Would I fry the loadbox or would it only be a problem if I fully crank the master volume?

I've had the LB-2 a couple weeks now and I really like it. Running it with a BE50 Dlx, Egnater TOL Mica and an old BF Deluxe, it has worked perfectly. Very similar to the Suhr reactive load in overall tonality but the US/UK switch is a nice touch for a subtle tone/response change. Definitely a great reactive load box! I've been running the DI out into the AxeFX XL+ and/or the my interface using mostly Celestion IR mixes from cab lab.
Great Job Fractal! Excellent product!

Hopefully the LB-1 will be able to handle more than just 8ohm and more than just 100 watts and add effects+IR+attenuation for an attached speaker and reamp from the ADDA converter all with a nice app to work with.

It's a beautiful thing

agreed ...and, for the first time, I am SO envious of the huge pile of amps that seem to dominate your music room......they will have all a new lease on life and relief on your ears
from this thing.

agreed ...and, for the first time, I am SO envious of the huge pile of amps that seem to dominate your music room......they will have all a new lease on life and relief on your ears
from this thing.
Stacking them up like that certainly inspired me to plug them in. The X-Load blends in well with the aesthetics too.

Back
Top Bottom