X-LOAD LB-2 Reactive Load Box now available

Can anyone comment about how the impedance curve is different from the Suhr Reactive Load?

The Suhr RL is based on a 4x12 with G12M Speakers, the Universal Audio OX its supposed to be based on Fender amps.

So the X-Load will be getting you, supposedly, this to curves for your amp to react upon.

Ugh I must resist the urge!! I want to know more about and hear some examples before pulling the trigger. Lots of choices and that Ox is intriguing tho the price is not.

Most 100w Marshalls put out more than 100 watts when driven hard.

Back many moons ago when I scoped my 100W '68 Plexi, it was putting out 135W before any visible clipping. And to think that I stood in front of that full stack with it wide open - it's a wonder I can still hear anything.

Bit the bullet and trusted in Cliff. Ordered! This will be my first load box, so I’m excited to play my amps thru my XL+ and AX8. Would I plug the DI out to the front of the AX? Or on the back and use the FXL block as an amp block per se?

Stupid question. The product page says:

“The X-Load LB-2 Load Box represents the pinnacle of speaker emulation technology for live use or recording.”

Later it says:

“It is important to note that the X-Load LB-2 does NOT simulate the characteristic sound of a loudspeaker.

Aren’t these inconsistent statements? So it “emulates” a speaker but doesn’t “simulate” it? I don’t understand.

Stupid question. The product page says:

“The X-Load LB-2 Load Box represents the pinnacle of speaker emulation technology for live use or recording.”

Later it says:

“It is important to note that the X-Load LB-2 does NOT simulate the characteristic sound of a loudspeaker.

Aren’t these inconsistent statements? So it “emulates” a speaker but doesn’t “simulate” it? I don’t understand.
No inconsistency here.

The X-Load LB-2 represents the pinnacle of speaker emulation technology. In other words, it's as good as it gets. Its job is to make the amp react in the same way that it would with a real live speaker connected. It simulates the complex impedance that a real speaker presents to the amp, and its performance in that regard is at the top of the heap.

But it does not simulate the characteristic sound of the loudspeaker. For that, you need to feed the LB-2's output to something that does simulate the sound of the speaker. Something like the Axe-Fx, AX8, Cab-Lab, or some other speaker simulation product.

So it “emulates” a speaker but doesn’t “simulate” it? I don’t understand.

Sort of, yeah. The tube amp will "see" the load like it would a real speaker, but it doesn't do all the filtering a normal loudspeaker would - so you get the behaviour of a speaker but not the sound (that's where your IR comes in)

Am I right in thinking the UK Voicing is based on, shall we say, number 30 of the "Vintage" variety?

I expected it to be a reactive load + digital device which can load IRs and simulate speaker compression, motor drive etc. But it's "just" a quite standard load box. So what sets it apart from other products which are in about the same price range?

Back
Top Bottom