X is back.....& loving the V9 update!!!

X-Mann

Experienced
Hey Guys......(I’m baaaack) :eek:

X-Mann here & I stepped away from my AX8 for quiet awhile & built an incredible FX8/Tube amp rig for playing out live w/ my Uber LOUD drummer & new band. So....While I never left Fractal Audio (or sold off any gear)....I didn’t use my AX8 much at all for the past year or so. :confused:

I’ve come full circle now after updating my AX8 w/ the V9 Firmware. Boy am I shocked at just how great it sounds.....& I’m not sure if it always sounded this good, or if the update just helped to smooth a few things out. I’m building all new presets from scratch w/ what I hope & think is new or more knowledge this time around.

I just got a new Kiesel Greg Howe 24-Fret Strat like Guitar w/ a Seymour Duncan “Little 59” pickup for my 48th B-Day.....& it’s just to die for!!!!
Photo%20Nov%2010%2C%201%2027%2038%20PM.jpg

I’m in love w/ the CAE+ amp & here’s a quick taste without a drive pedal....& then w/ the TS808.

At the start it’s Scene #1 as shown here....
Photo%20Nov%2018%2C%203%2000%2033%20PM.jpg

Then I switch to Scene #2 & the TS808 is turned on while the Chorus turns off & the Phaser goes ON....
Photo%20Nov%2018%2C%203%2000%2039%20PM.jpg

It seems that 2x12 V30 IR’s are where it’s at for me tone wise too. I’m have much better success getting the tones I’ve been looking for. I use actual 2x12 cabinets loaded w/ V30’s live so this little revelation shouldn’t be such a big surprise to me! #da

This time round I’m taking my new tube amp knowledge & all the FX stuff I learned on the FX8 & incorporating it back into my AX8 presets.
Photo%20Nov%2017%2C%204%2056%2019%20PM.jpg

I’ve been getting caught-up on all the great threads, videos & sound samples that I’ve missed here.....I’m lucky to have 4-days off to get caught back up....lol

I hope everyone is doing well & that you ALL have a stellar Thanksgiving w/ your family & friends this year.

Peace! X

PS - I’ve truly missed all the interaction w/ you guys in this section of the board. The FX8 side is a lot slower w/ less content & sharing for the most part. :(

Last edited:
The beauty of the Fractal units are the firmware updates, some address bugs, some improve a already existing firmware that runs great (but Fractal loves to tweak). Then there's certain firmware's that make you feel like you just got a brand new unit/next generation unit but in the same housing. Sounds like that's what you are experiencing. You know those holy shit! moments.

I remember the first time it happened to me it was with the Standard, got it at firmware 5.0 and very happy with the unit nothing compared to it. The Standard solved so many problems for me and was just a enjoyable piece of gear. But when firmware 11.0 dropped it was one of those holy shit moments. Have had an Axe Fx II since firmware 1.0 and there has been more than one of those holy shit moments.

Enjoy the new guitar!

John

The beauty of the Fractal units are the firmware updates, some address bugs, some improve a already existing firmware that runs great (but Fractal loves to tweak). Then there's certain firmware's that make you feel like you just got a brand new unit/next generation unit but in the same housing. Sounds like that's what you are experiencing. You know those holy ****! moments.

I remember the first time it happened to me it was with the Standard, got it at firmware 5.0 and very happy with the unit nothing compared to it. The Standard solved so many problems for me and was just a enjoyable piece of gear. But when firmware 11.0 dropped it was one of those holy **** moments. Have had an Axe Fx II since firmware 1.0 and there has been more than one of those holy **** moments.

Enjoy the new guitar!

John
Hey John, yes, you make some great points here my man.

I think it’s 10% Fractal & the update & 90% me learning what I like & how to get it out of the gear itself. I’ve never been a tech guy & struggle with a lot of parameters.

My tube amp journey & 3-different brands/models & my FX8 obsession has taken me to the next level in preset creation. Time will tell & I’m just having FUN & enjoying the journey as always.

The CAE+ amp in Version 9 is giving me that Holy #%^+ moment for sure!!!! I plan on making more presets today on my day off & getting into Leon Todd’s USA C++ preset too!

Peace! X

Last edited:
Welcome back X! :) I'm in the same boat after being away for a couple months. Great to be back in this community.

Great to see some Kiesel love too! Nice axe man! I have the Vader V8 and love it!
Yes, I read your great thread & like you, my journey has been similar & quite possibly more expensive too! :rolleyes:

I’ve always known that the tones I desire & crave have always been inside the AX8......I even go back & look/listen to some of my older AX8 clips on Instagram & go “Why did you ever move from the AX8 this time you big, dumb #%^”!!!! :D

Old AX8 Clip......That I Love tone wise!

I’m a slow learner & know that I’ll get there in time! :D

Tim

Yessir, Mr. X, 9.02 is indeed the schinznit. Cliff hisself seems to think so too...
Hey Brad!

Yea, I completely trust Cliff on all levels & love his obsession for the quality products he creates!

Fractal Audio System products & components are in more of my favorite Pro level players Rigs then any other manufacturer too! :cool::cool::cool: \m/ ;)

X

Last edited:
Yes, I read your great thread & like you, my journey has been similar & quite possibly more expensive too! :rolleyes:

I’ve always known that the tones I desire & crave have always been inside the AX8......I even go back & look/listen to some of my older AX8 clips on Instagram & go “Why did you ever move from the AX8 this time you big, dumb #%^”!!!! :D

Old AX8 Clip......That I Love tone wise!

I’m a slow learner & know that I’ll get there in time! :D

Tim

Great tone and playing man!

Lol.....& Thx DTS!!!!!

I got hooked on the JS410 amp model for the longest time & I’m going to re-visit this amp model & preset (w/ the V9 update) if I can find it today! #longliveshred \m/ :D

X

Now, why did we leave the AX8 behind in the first place? Lol:D

... constantly searching for a better version of the same 3-tones I always go for! :D:eek::p

Ha! I just got an AX8 last month. After the initial flurry of trying out each amp model and envisioning how I might use them, I ended up gravitating towards very familiar models. Splawn/JVM/Cameron and the DC-30/AC-20! :D

Ha! I just got an AX8 last month. After the initial flurry of trying out each amp model and envisioning how I might use them, I ended up gravitating towards very familiar models. Splawn/JVM/Cameron and the DC-30/AC-20! :D
Congrats Phil M!!!!

That makes a lot of sense & it’s always best to start our w/ the Amps, Cabs & FX you already know the most 1st.

Time put in learning the manual & tips & tricks from the guys here at “Team Fractal” will go a VERY long way!

Peace! X

PS - Don’t take anything I say too serious & just know that I’m always here to provide some humor & colored pictures for your forum viewing pleasure! :D

Are those Lace Sensors? Had a Strat years ago with them in it and really like them.
No, they do look like those, but the these are high output Kiesel single coil S60A pickups......The neck one is instant “Blues” & makes me sound SO much better than I am too!!! :D

X

So.....I fell in love w/ Leon Todd’s MKIIC++ Preset awhile back & posted a live “in the room” clip in his thread.....

Well......I was messing around today & trying to get back into writing & recording again.....& Leon’s Preset saved the day. It’s a truly inspiring rig & tone.

Here’s the exact same preset with no tweaks, but direct to my DAW. (Scene #4)

I love the way it sits in the mix & feels when I play through it. Again, I never would have tried this amp model either if not for hearing it here 1st.

Here’s the old “Live in the Room” video too for reference.

This community is really great & so helpful for learning & talking guitar nerd stuff 24/7.

Peace! X

Back
Top Bottom