X-Files: "One Night in Akron" w/ Neil Zaza & the AX8

X-Mann

Experienced
Sup my gear modeling brothers? I know that you guys are already "in the know" about the AX8 & I'm still waiting for my X-mail to arrive.................but I wanted to share this little adventure with you guys......& I'll join in a lot more here once I own the precious too!

I went to Akron Ohio this weekend to watch Neil Zaza perform a concert w/ his brand new Fractal Audio AX8.

I'm a student, long time fan & fellow Kiesel Guitar (aka Carvin) lover & now professed Fractal fanatic (but I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested)!

Neil's newest CD titled "Peach" is a true master piece & a work of art. If you love great compositions, great tones & stellar/inspiring playing, then I say buy it ASAP.

Here's the stage set-up & Neil's back line too.

Mark Day helped Neil get the routing of his AX8 correct for what he wanted to do & I will only comment a little bit about it. Maybe Mark will chime in w/ more details down the road.

The AX8 outputs were split & sent out different signals from what Z told me. One output was dry w/ no FX or cab modeling & went to a Matrix power amp & Wizzard guitar cab. The other had full FX & cab modeling.

I sat front row center & the AX8 Friedman HBE guitar tone was to die for & then some. When Neil noodled around between songs, his delay setting was nothing short of perfect in my eyes!!!

Zaza's using a brand new Kiesel Aries guitar built directly by Master Builder Jeff Kiesel. I knew that Neil played w/ 11's & I didn't realize what a big deal that really was....until after the concert when he said "X, you gotta play this thing" &......well....I almost couldn't! It made me rethink the awesome evening I had just witnessed too.

The AX8 tone was everything that I hoped & wanted it to be & 10x more. It's a Pro level device that was crystal clear & 110% amp like.

I may not know a lot, but I can tell when a guitarist is really feeling his tone & gear. The look on Neil's face says it all here to me.

I'm still patiently waiting for my name to be called & just know that it's worth the wait. The price is also right on point & where it needs to be.

I did a Kiesel guitars forum meet-up & Neil treated the boys like family.

We even carried out all his gear after the show too. He puts the AX8 is a bright orange plastic flight case w/ wheels that looks like it should transport a heart or something too. Maybe it does, since the AX8 is the heart of his new stage rig?

He's very excited to travel overseas & just take this single small AX8 board w/ him.

Peace! X-Mann

Last edited:
I've shared a lot of video links on my X-Mann Facebook page & on my XMANNROCKS Instagram page. You can here the tone very well & get a small look at what I was able to witness.

"I'm Alright"

Here's a much shorter version on my Instagram page.....If this works.

Last edited:
This video clip of Zaza playing "Fargo" gets me wet & to the point of exhaustion my modeling peeps!

The isolated guitar part is clean, clear, distorted, huge & just Epic on all levels!

Here's a much shorter clip from my Instagram page if the Facebook link doesn't work.

Last edited:
Here's a volume roll back clip that shows the dynamic quality of the AX8.

There are SO many things that have sold me on the AX8 & Fractal as a company. This a is a huge one & all I care about in the end is the tone & can I get what I need out of it.

This shorter Instagram clip will have to due for now....

Neil closed w/ Prince's "Purple Rain" tune & the opening clean chords were to die for, I'll try to find it at some point if I captured it. I didn't video the entire time & like to actually watch & listen to concerts w/ no distractions.

Have a great week & to those that are waiting....you're almost there & it will be worth it in the end.

Peace! X-Mann \m/

PS - Remember, It's not about what gear brand that you own & use, it's about what you do & create with the gear that you do own that matters! o_O

Last edited:
Hey brother X, don't know if it's me or my iPad Pro, but these videos ain't playing............
They are also on the Fractal Users Facebook page too.

Update: They seem to be working, but I added a much shorter Instagram video clips too......

X

Last edited:
They work fine here.

Sure sounds like you had a great evening!
Thank you Firesource!

I'm at work & can't tell what's working or not due to the blocking of these sites. :eek:

It's good to know that it IS working for you though bro! :cool:

The evening was magical & so was the AX8....................:D

Thx & Peace! X

Really nice, its the first time I've listened to Neils music and is amazing! I need to buy some..

On the other hand I'm crazy about the ax8, mine should come this month and I can't wait more! I want it nowww

Cool post X-Man! Thanks!

Some big love to X for being so dedicated to my music as well as my other loves of all things Fractal and Kiesel.

As for my live rig currently and on Saturday night, I went XLR out of the AX8 to my in ear monitors (L) and front of house PA (R). I used output 2 TRS to drive my Matrix 800 power amp that drove two Wizard 4x12s that have Celestial Heritage Greenbacks in them (thanks Mark Day for the tutelage on the best way to do this). A killer set up if there was ever one!

I know that everyone here is probably waiting for an AX8 so let me tell you that the wait is SO worth it. I find that this configuration of the Axe FX fused with a floor board is incredible. It's portable, sounds incredible, the XY state changes with a long hold, etc...No hype, a total game changer.

I have my AX8 fitting inside a Pelican 1510 (orange-colored for that extra sexiness) and it will be my carry on when I am on tour overseas coming up.

Cheers to everyone and have a great day!

Neil Zaza

Zaza really cool to have you here! If I can ask you something...
Which album should I buy first? (I love melodic rock...;)) And which is the best place to buy?

Thanks man! The first impression I've had about your music and playing is :eek::hearteyes:

Zaza really cool to have you here! If I can ask you something...
Which album should I buy first? (I love melodic rock...;)) And which is the best place to buy?

Thanks man! The first impression I've had about your music and playing is :eek::hearteyes:
I know that you didn't ask me, but since when has that ever stopped the X-Train?

The "Peach" CD is by far my favorite Zaza album & not because there's anything wrong w/ the others. The compositions, Riffs, melodies & tones are ALL outstanding.

"212" & "Clyde the Cat" are also fantastic.

You need to buy the songs "I'm Alright", "My only Son", "Go", "Fargo" & "King of the World"........but.....My personal favorite Zaza tune is called "Wild Horses" & it's the one I wish I wrote.

This is my 2-cents & quick answer to your great question.

Peace! X

I know that you didn't ask me, but since when has that ever stopped the X-Train?

The "Peach" CD is by far my favorite Zaza album & not because there's anything wrong w/ the others. The compositions, Riffs, melodies & tones are ALL outstanding.

You need to buy the songs "I'm Alright", "My only Son", "Go", "Fargo" & "King of the World"........but.....My personal favorite Zaza tune is called "Wild Horses" & it's the one I wish I wrote.

Peace! X

Thank you so much X-Man! As it seems you know really well Zaza's work your answer is greatly accepted! ;)

Awesome review X. And you're right, he is burning on those 11s!

Glad to have you on the forum Neil, looking forward to hearing your experiences with the AX8. I am loving mine!

;)
Some big love to X for being so dedicated to my music as well as my other loves of all things Fractal and Kiesel.

Cheers to everyone and have a great day!

Neil Zaza

Well, I support & promote the People, players & company's that I use & love for free.

It's easy to do when they are all so good. I also don't dog the products after I move on.....& the 11-Rack is a great example of that for me, but that's a story for another day.

Life is too short & I've got things to do.

Fractal Audio is a stellar company & I'm still embarrassed that I got here so late to the party, but at least I'm here now.

I wanted the AX8 soon after I understood what it was & after seeing some demos from the guys here, I wanted even more.

& just when I thought I couldn't want this killer product anymore, I hear it live from Neil Zaza & it moves me even more. Your excitement & passion for the AX8 isn't helping my wait Z & I've been doing pretty well......Until now! :rolleyes:

Thanks for telling us the tech side of what you did here too. :cool:

Peace! X

Peace! X

Yeah man, I'm Alright has one of my favorite guitar riffs of all time. I met Neil a bunch of years ago (like in 1999 or something) at a guitar clinic in Philadelphia with Bill the Buddha Dickens and Bobby Rock (who are both awesome) and he's a super nice guy. I've been following him ever since.

The rhythm section at the Neil Zaza concert was very impressive to me.

While the focus is on Neil & his magical guitar playing, I thought that the energy & skills of these guys added so much to the evening & music.

Back
Top Bottom