X’s Journey w/ a PRS MT 15 & the FX8....

X-Mann

Experienced
The amps may come and go or change over time, but I’m still in LOVE with Fractal FX8.

I’ve had complete success with the following amps so far. Carvin Legacy-3, Mesa TC-50 & the Friedman Runt 50.

Now you can add the new (VERY LOUD) 15-Watt PRS Mark Tremonti “MT15” amp to the list too!
Photo%20Oct%2007%2C%208%2015%2043%20PM.jpg

The amp is just fantastic & really sounds amazing on BOTH channels. Here’s my very 1st plug-in without FX & my general thoughts.

X’s New PRS Amp day/Unboxing Video....

This is my base line, before adding in the FX8....

Stay tuned for more Fractal FUN kids.....

X

Adding Fractal into the equation:

I have a long history w/ Fractal Audio, it’s wonderful employees, killer user base & the FX8.

I run in 4cm & use individual presets that are song based.

Here’s a pic of my current set-up & new amp.
Photo%20Oct%2007%2C%208%2015%2038%20PM.jpg

Note: The Steve Stevens Sci-Fi Ray Gun is just for effect (Not FX) only!!! :p

X

Last edited:
I’ve been converting my original FX8 presets & tweaking the new amp to learn its true potential.

I start with dialing-in the BLUE clean channel w/ some Candlebox & Collective Soul.......

I’m a fan of this amp & just LOVE how easy it is to set-up the FX8 to be the HEART & BRAIN of my rig.

I’ll share more photos, details & a better sounding/direct audio video by the end of the week if all goes well.

I hope that everyone’s doing well & the rumors of my sudden Death (by being absent from the forum) are now proven untrue (aka Fake need)! :D

Peace! X

Cool videos, I love my FX8!! It has worked with every amp I have tried/owned. I also Own the Runt 50 head and matching cab and a BE 412. I have been able to do channel switching with the Archon 100 as well with no other gear other than a Pedal Snake cable.

FX8 works perfectly and will also channel with the following amps, Mesa Mark IV, Mesa Recto Multi Watt, Bogner Uberchall, Mesa JP2C, Friedman Runt 50, Friedman JJ, PRS Archon 50w & 100w, Driftwood Purple Nightmare (but the loop was noisy), Diesel Einstein, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL,

Cheers!

Last edited:
Cool videos, I love my FX8!! It has worked with every amp I have tried/owned. I also Own the Runt 50 head and matching cab and a BE 412. I have been able to do channel switching with the Archon 100 as well with no other gear other than a Pedal Snake cable.

FX8 works perfectly and will also channel with the following amps, Mesa Mark IV, Mesa Recto Multi Watt, Bogner Uberchall, Mesa JP2C, Friedman Runt 50, Friedman JJ, PRS Archon 50w & 100w, Driftwood Purple Nightmare (but the loop was noisy), Diesel Einstein, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL,

Cheers!
Hello, Thanks & very cool man!!!! :cool:

I really think that the Fractal FX8 is crazy good & at a killer price right now too!!!! It takes your rig to an instant Pro level w/ stellar FX & instant channel switching! A++

Peace! X

I dialed in the FX & 3-Scenes for the Cover of “She Sells Sanctuary” by The Cult on my Fractal FX8. I walk thru each Scene & what changes or where it’s used.

Scene-1 is on the Blue Channel w/ a Virtual TS808 pedal, Phaser, Delay & Reverb.

Scene-2 is the RED Channel with Phaser, Delay, Reverb & a 2db Filter Boost.

Scene-3 is a tighter version of Scene-2 w/ no Delay for the power chords.

“She Sells Sanctuary” by The Cult

Noise, HUM & Stuff.....

I have the amp VERY LOUD in this video & you can hear a level of amp/white noise when I’m not playing. I think it’s very minimal when you hear how quiet it is in relation to how loud I actually have the amp set at. When I go from talking to playing, you really get a sense of this & for me, it’s a non-issue.

I’m still blown away by both channels of the amp, but the RED Channel is just stellar to me on all levels.

I have plenty of volume left & have no doubts that I’m going to play this out & around town.

Peace! X

PS - I still plan on making a better/more comprehensive MT 15 video when Mrs-X goes away this next week for a work trip. She HATES when I play this loud & dosen’t allow it actually. I’ve been makin all these little videos before she gets home from work.....so far!!! :D

PRS - There are some clams & tempo issues in all of these videos, but my goal is to show the tones I’m getting and nothing more here. Even the iPhone camera audio gives you a sense of what it sound like in the room. It sounds way bigger, badder & better in the Room too!!!! \m/

Here’s a quick play-through w/ NO TALKING too! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
In my quest to dial in & capture the tones I’m getting with my new MT 15 amp head, I’m learning about amp mic’ing. I’m using an SM57 mic, into my Arturia interface into my Presonus DAW.

I want to capture a mono signal of my effected amp tone & get it to match what I’m hearing in the room.
Photo%20Oct%2013%2C%204%2024%2030%20PM.jpg

I know some general mic techniques & moved the mic around the cone/in/out & came close to getting what I want......
Photo%20Oct%2013%2C%204%2021%2029%20PM.jpg

Even with the mic on center of speaker, there seemed to be a lot of bass, or more than I felt was in the room. At one point I started re-dialing in th amp to get it closer on recording to what I wanted.

I got some good results & was going to use what I had, but then I realized something about this Friedman HBE 4x12 cabinet. The location of the (2) V30 speakers are actually on the BOTTOM & NOT on the top! :(

The TOP 2-speakers are Celestion Greenbacks & a softer, more round vintage speaker from what I’ve read.....& now experienced.

I’m a V30 guy & love the bite & directness in a Rock band tone. I ran out of time & will continue on with what I’ve learned & try this again, but mic’ing the V30 this time.

Does anyone have experience capturing the direct tone of their amp to match what they hear in the room?

Is this just s trial and error thing, or is there a trick like a low pass filter in the DAW after?

What do the Pros do? What does a Sound Guy do at a gig? I’ve never asked mine, but I do know that they do EQ my channel a little bit. Is that cheating?

I’d like to capture the great tones I’m hearing without doing too much post processing, if any at all.
Photo%20Oct%2013%2C%204%2020%2044%20PM%20%281%29.jpg

Thanks, X

PS - The main thing here is that I’m just having a blast & still blown-away by this killer amp.

Back
Top Bottom